1 2 3 4
noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/12 12:50 p.m.

So a guy at work (George) tells me "Hey, the new ILX is here, do you want to see it?" Me "Does it come with a manual trans?" George "No, I don't think so." Me "No..."

Ok. I stand corrected.... ILX 2.4 Premium with 6 speed manual trans Price listed on Acura site is $29,200 Sorry for the mis-information.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/17/12 12:52 p.m.

Haven't seen it yet. No desire to either. Boat <--

Honda/Acura.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/17/12 12:52 p.m.

What is an ILX?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/17/12 12:55 p.m.

The new small Acura car.... It's a Civic wrapped in leather and offered as a hybrid for about $10k more than a civic because it has teh Acura badges on it instead.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/12 12:59 p.m.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/17/12 1:06 p.m.

I commend the idea of a "luxury car" that does not have to have a huge engine and actually gets good mpg. Since the Infiniti G20, that combo has been hard to find in the US. Give it the option of manual to make it even better.

For years, in Canada, Acura offered a Civic platform car; The Acura EL.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 1:06 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: The new small Acura car.... It's a Civic wrapped in leather and offered as a hybrid for about $10k more than a civic because it has teh Acura badges on it instead.

You know I had people tell me that when I bought my '94 GS-R, and then again when I bought my '03 TL-S (except it was a gussied up Accord then). Yes, some cars are based on another cars platform, but it you drive them they are very different cars. More sound insulation, in most cases improved NVH, more amenities, better quality materials, etc.. I haven't driven an ILX, so I won't comment on that, but anyone that has driven the two cars I mention about knows that they share little in common with the cars they are based on when it comes to the driving experience, and to me and many others, that's worth some money. BTW, the best thing about the ILX is that it doesn't use the Civic's goofy dashboard.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/17/12 1:11 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: The new small Acura car.... It's a Civic wrapped in leather and offered as a hybrid for about $10k more than a civic because it has teh Acura badges on it instead.
You know I had people tell me that when I bought my '94 GS-R, and then again when I bought my '03 TL-S (except it was a gussied up Accord then). Yes, some cars are based on another cars platform, but it you drive them they are very different cars. More sound insulation, in most cases improved NVH, more amenities, better quality materials, etc.. I haven't driven an ILX, so I won't comment on that, but anyone that has driven the two cars I mention about knows that they share little in common with the cars they are based on when it comes to the driving experience, and to me and many others, that's worth some money. BTW, the best thing about the ILX is that it doesn't use the Civic's goofy dashboard.

You are correct. There are many more things to break and when they do they are more expensive. ;)

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 1:11 p.m.

Hell, you can go to MINI and option a $20k Cooper into a $30k Cooper without even changing the trim level. If Honda can sell more cars by offering a super-spiffy Civic, more power to them!

It looks better than the new Civic... not a hard thing to do of course.

Does this mean the TSX is gone?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
5/17/12 1:15 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
You know I had people tell me that when I bought my '94 GS-R, and then again when I bought my '03 TL-S (except it was a gussied up Accord then). Yes, some cars are based on another cars platform, but it you drive them they are very different cars. More sound insulation, in most cases improved NVH, more amenities, better quality materials, etc.

Do you have a Cimmaron too?

For years, in Canada, Acura offered a Civic platform car; The Acura EL.

Was the RSX not also on the Civic platform?

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/17/12 1:21 p.m.

There's a big difference between badge engineering and platform engineering.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/17/12 1:21 p.m.

I went to the Acura site:
http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#6

A 2.0L is the common engine and only comes with an automatic.
Price starts at $25,900 to $31,400
mpg: 24/35/28

There is a 2.4L with manual 6 speed
Price starts at $29,200
mpg: 22/31/25

There is also a 1.5L hybrid
$28,900 to $34,400
mpg: 39/38/38

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/12 1:23 p.m.

The really unfortunate part is that the new Civic is such a giant POS that even if Acura can work their magic this car will still suck. Integra it is not.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/12 1:24 p.m.

I thought that they stopped making Acuras in the late 1990's.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/17/12 1:26 p.m.

Fwd luxury cars are soooooo far off my radar...

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 1:46 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The really unfortunate part is that the new Civic is such a giant POS that even if Acura can work their magic this car will *still* suck.

Please explain. I've been commuting in an '07 Civic LX for 5 years now and have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a standout car, but POS? Please. It's very competitive with other cars in it's class. It has bad seats, but other than that it's a fine commuter car that isn't that expensive, has never broken anything (this car), gets an easy 38mpg on our commute of combined city and highway driving, and holds it's value really well.
So please explain where you get POS from?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 1:51 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Javelin wrote: The really unfortunate part is that the new Civic is such a giant POS that even if Acura can work their magic this car will *still* suck.
Please explain. I've been commuting in an '07 Civic LX for 5 years now and have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a standout car, but POS? Please. It's very competitive with other cars in it's class. It has bad seats, but other than that it's a fine commuter car that isn't that expensive, has never broken anything (this car), gets an easy 38mpg on our commute of combined city and highway driving, and holds it's value really well. So please explain where you get POS from?

He's not talking about your generation, he's talking about the redesigned 2012 Civic.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/17/12 1:56 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Please explain. I've been commuting in an '07 Civic LX for 5 years now and have no idea what you are talking about. It's not a standout car, but POS? Please. It's very competitive with other cars in it's class. It has bad seats, but other than that it's a fine commuter car that isn't that expensive, has never broken anything (this car), gets an easy 38mpg on our commute of combined city and highway driving, and holds it's value really well. So please explain where you get POS from?

The new ones are sooooo far behind the competitors (except Corolla) it isn't even funny. But to me the Civic was dead to me after '00.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 1:57 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-honda-civic-first-drive-review

With the latest Civic, Honda has gambled that moving away from sportiness and towards quiet comfort will suit its buyers. Honda hasn’t hedged its bets into the boring realm of the Toyota Corolla, but it’s certainly an unadventurous effort. Aside from being quieter and more efficient, the new Civic doesn’t represent improvement as we define it. The Civic lacks the passion, soul, and entertaining driving dynamics of its predecessor. Mainstream buyers may not care, but enthusiasts surely will.

I've never driven in one, and I feel like calling it a POS is a bit of hyperbole, but it does not sound like a car I would want to own, and I love my GF's 2010 Civic, the seats don't even bother me.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/17/12 2:09 p.m.

do you ever say anything positive?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 2:14 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
He's not talking about your generation, he's talking about the redesigned 2012 Civic.

The new one is just a refreshed old one, not that much different, which is why it gets panned. They didn't improve it, and maybe even went backwards, but a POS? No, not a POS.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 2:15 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
do you ever say anything positive?

I don't think so. Maybe if we are talking about a real POS 15 year old Hyundai, but never about a Honda.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/17/12 2:16 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to bravenrace: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-honda-civic-first-drive-review With the latest Civic, Honda has gambled that moving away from sportiness and towards quiet comfort will suit its buyers. Honda hasn’t hedged its bets into the boring realm of the Toyota Corolla, but it’s certainly an unadventurous effort. Aside from being quieter and more efficient, the new Civic doesn’t represent improvement as we define it. The Civic lacks the passion, soul, and entertaining driving dynamics of its predecessor. Mainstream buyers may not care, but enthusiasts surely will. I've never driven in one, and I feel like calling it a POS is a bit of hyperbole, but it does not sound like a car I would want to own, and I love my GF's 2010 Civic, the seats don't even bother me.

Exactly my point. I'm not saying it's a great car, just that it is in no way a POS.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/17/12 2:25 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: The new one is just a refreshed old one, not that much different, which is why it gets panned. They didn't improve it, and maybe even went backwards, but a POS? No, not a POS.

The 2012 switched from double-a-arm to torsion bar rear suspension.

Not a POS but also a move away from things the Civic has had since the beginning.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 2:30 p.m.

Seems to me that Honda, looking at the aging population (anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate that older people like softer suspensions), and the fact that the overwhelming majority of millenials are not interested in driving dynamics, finally caved in to the marketers and took the Civic in a more Buick-esque direction. I guess we'll see if it worked in four more years when they release another redesign.

As for this being a refreshed Civic rather than a brand-new one. That is how every Honda model line works. Very rarely does Honda release a product that does not share a bunch of parts with something else that has been on the market for a while (S2000 being a notable exception). Avoiding clean-sheet redesigns is one of the ways Honda has kept quality up and costs down over the years.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zwyzmrzOWL1xeQH9N6jVu6Tt423z2sokXdYykZtxRZl0odIhX9imP0F6dogkxOow