1 2 3 4
jrg77
jrg77 Reader
5/17/12 8:07 p.m.

The ILX should have a double wishbone suspension in front and multi-link suspension in the rear. Anything else is not an Acura to me. If only Toyota would make a 4-door version of the BR-S for Lexus. No power bump or anything crazy. I bet they would clean house...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
5/17/12 8:34 p.m.

I have not driven a new Civic or ILX nor do I intend to. They do not interest me in the least so I don't care watch badge that platform is wearing. For years you could always depend on Honda for making affordable and fun cars. Now they are really neither. In fact I can't even remember when Honda dropped the ball for me. I think Acura died when the Integra became the RSX and the Civic line croaked after the CRX and hatch back went away. Anyway, I just don't care anymore, there are a lot of other cars to choose from now.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/17/12 8:44 p.m.

Just to clear up things, the latest Civic has a multi-link rear suspension:

Okay, back to arguing about cars that you haven't driven.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 8:52 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Just looked it up, multi-link rear and mac strut rear, just like every other Civic since 2001.

I think this civic rear beam axle rumor dates back to an old episode of Top Gear USA. Some folks don't understand that the US Civic and Euro Civic are not always the same thing.

David S. Wallens
5/17/12 8:55 p.m.

The Fit has a torsion beam rear suspension, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from. By the way, the image I posted is from the 2012 Civic Si press kit.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
5/17/12 8:57 p.m.

I've driven the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen. Civics and owned a few of them. Each gen. seems to have it's fans and detractors.

I prefer, of the ones I've owned or driven the 5th gen because it is so easily modded...yet I sold my 5th gen and got a 2nd gen Integra. For a car based on the same platform as the 4th gen. Civic, it was a much nicer car than any civic I've owned and I've often considered replacing my 6th gen. Civic with a late 3rd gen Integra.

I've read a lot of the articles dealing with the current (2012) Civic. I haven't driven it yet, so I can't speak with the same authority other NON-drivers have used so far. However, as a bit of a Honda fan, I find the exterior styling of the new Civic bland/boring, too closely resembling a 10 year old Camry. The interior? It's a shame we don't get the "motorcycle-inspired" gauge cluster used in Civics in nearly every other country. As far as the "antiquated" 5 speed transmission, Toyota is still using a 4 speed automatic in all it's small cars...yet no one rakes it over the coals for that point.

Not having driven the 1LS, but having read a few short articles about it, I'm disappointed that Honda is replacing the TSX with this car. I don't blame them, tho, as no one buys it and it's too close in size to a TL. Acura made things worse for the TSX when they broke down and offered the TL's V6 in the TSX....yet NOT in the TSX sport wagon.

In ending, I wonder if Honda U.S. is now run by the same kind of folks Volkswagon/Audi U.S. is run by?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/17/12 8:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

This clip, at 3:55:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGAmcLYGQ8

I have had two people tell me that the '06-'11 Civic has a torsion beam and when I get them to explain where this comes from eventually they admit Top Gear. I imagine the others are just repeating this?

EDIT: Could be the Fit thing too...

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
5/17/12 9:02 p.m.

I have a 2012 Civic sedan as a company car. I've had it about a month, 2500 miles. No, it's not a EF or an EG. But it is a very good car for the customers that Honda is going after.

Yes, the engine noise is a bit coarse over 4k. Meh. And certainly things that I would have thought would have been installed on a $18k car aren't there, like cupholders in the rear, or a second 12v power outlet.

It still handles reasonably well at eight-tenths. I'm not autocrossing or tracking it, of course. I'm averaging 36mpg, too...

Looked at an ILX today, coincidentally. Upon first glance, the Civic relation isn't particularly evident. The funky dual-level IP from the Civic is gone. Materials are upgraded, and I'm certain noise abatement is more prevalent in the Acura.

Would I buy the Acura? No. But there are plenty of people who want the trappings of a luxury car in a more tidy, efficient package.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/12 8:38 a.m.

I really like the original TSX, the new one not so much.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/18/12 10:12 a.m.

Honestly I got the "non-independent rear" info from my local newspaper. Not the best source. I also managed to confirm it with ... Wikipedia. So my apologies if the US-market 2012 Civic doesn't have it. Which it appears that is the case.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/18/12 1:39 p.m.

Got our first 5 in. One is missing ALL of it's badging on the trunk. I see quality control is up.....

Honestly, rear 3/4 view (first view I got of it) and I thought they mistankenly dropped off 5 civics. No lie. I got closer and realized what they were. Interior looks fine. But the rest of the exterior.... I'm not feeling it. No manual trans is the double killer on this one.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/18/12 1:52 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: No manual trans is the double killer on this one.

Huh? Isn't the 2.4 coming with a six speed manual?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/18/12 2:33 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Edmunds has a picture of one on their website with a manual.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/18/12 3:45 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: No manual trans is the double killer on this one.
Huh? Isn't the 2.4 coming with a six speed manual?

you may be right. For some reason they're not doing their typical "new model intro" thing with the ILX so we're a little in the dark about what we're getting etc.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
5/18/12 4:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Just to clear up things, the latest Civic has a multi-link rear suspension: Okay, back to arguing about cars that you haven't driven.

How dare you come in here interjecting with "facts" and "experience"...can't you see people are trying to ignorantly pee really hard here?

Bryce

David S. Wallens
5/18/12 4:31 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Just to clear up things, the latest Civic has a multi-link rear suspension: Okay, back to arguing about cars that you haven't driven.
How dare you come in here interjecting with "facts" and "experience"...can't you see people are trying to ignorantly pee really hard here? Bryce

Yeah, no duh.

I'm at Acura's media site right now: ILX 2.0L lists a five-speed automatic; ILX 2.4L shows a six-speed manual.

David S. Wallens
7/1/12 11:35 p.m.

Just sent the weekend with a six-speed manual, 2.4-liter ILX. I know I'm a Civic Si fanboi, but I love it. It's like a grown-up Civic Si, but surprised its still has a bit of an edge--it's not too quiet.

The sheet metal and dash are more conventional, too. You also get leather heated seats. I forget the exact number, but I believe the weight penalty is like 8 pounds. Looks like you cannot get the six-speed, 2.4-liter setup with navi, which kind of surprised me--especially since I assumed it had navi and we had to find our friends' house the old-fashioned way. (Meaning my wife had to remember where it was, and somehow we got lucky and found it.)

The big thing, at least for me, is the price. Sticker on this one is $29,200. That's like $6600 more than a Civic Si sedan. My wife actually justified the difference--at the rate we keep cars that's only like $500/year, she said--but I think I'd have to go with the Civic. The Acura does look good, though.

I wish the price difference was closer. I really like like the idea of a nicely equipped, smaller sedan as our "family car."

blueafro
blueafro New Reader
7/1/12 11:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Sticker on this one is $29,200. That's like $6600 more than a Civic Si sedan. My wife actually justified the difference--at the rate we keep cars that's only like $500/year, she said--but I think I'd have to go with the Civic. The Acura does look good, though. I wish the price difference was closer.

Depreciation may be kinder to the Acura than the Honda, though I suppose that would depends on how much the market punishes it for being so close to the Civic.

Depreciation of the RSX and TSX was absurdly low for many years, which bodes well.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
7/2/12 9:34 a.m.

I am glad for one to see that the Ilx may turn out to be a viable used car purchase for us a few years down the road. SWMBO is sold on Hondas so this might be a nice but still ecconomical step up from a Standard Civic.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/3/12 8:48 a.m.

I'm sorry, I can't justify $30k for a civic. When GM did this with the Cimarron, everyone was up in arms about it. When Honda does it everyone loves it. I just don't get it.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/3/12 9:56 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: What is an ILX?

I wondered the same thing. Just wish people ould use the full name.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/3/12 10:03 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I really like the original TSX, the new one not so much.

This.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/3/12 10:03 a.m.

that IS the full name. Acura went to letter designations across the board in 2005.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/3/12 10:06 a.m.

Stop whining, nobody is making you buy it.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/3/12 10:12 a.m.

The 2011 Honda Civic SI make a hell of an ice racer.

Just sayin'.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s1s7iQcyzUespRmyJ3CQJEgn3YHwevDIj5o4g5cpxVpvmZ8Hp9t4HZDYQ6mi2Y7T