pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/14 7:06 p.m.

So I left for my buddy's cabin for Labor Day towing this:

And somehow came back with this:

It's a Yerf Dog...basically a Made in China go-cart made of tin and pop cans. And now because I am a nice guy and a complete idiot, it is in my garage.

The front wheels keep bending into the suspension, or falling off completely, so I offered to try to reinforce and upgrade it a bit. While he tears it up on my recently overhauled ATV. Hey sure, want to sleep with my wife while I'm at it? Oh well, it will be a fun ride for the kids if I can get it to stay together. I have seen a lot of threads on upgrades, and while the budget is basically welding wire and a 6-pack, I think I can do it some good.

(and yes, the Kia Rondo can do anything. Even tow stuff.)

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/14 7:18 p.m.

they sold those at tractor supply a few years ago.

basically the kia rondo of go-karts, so you got it.

pinchvalve
9/2/14 7:22 p.m.
patgizz wrote: basically the kia rondo of go-karts, so you got it.

So they are the most awesome and reliable go carts ever made and they can do anything? Hmmm, I was thinking they were the Trabant of go carts...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
9/2/14 7:23 p.m.

"the kia rondo of go-karts"

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
9/2/14 7:28 p.m.

I have one of those! The kids love it! It does have a weight limit though. We have a strict rule, no adults allowed to drive/ride it. No issues with the front suspension collapsing since

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/2/14 9:35 p.m.

Well what the hell good is it if some semi-pickled adults can't do a few proficiency runs around the yard in it?

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/2/14 10:05 p.m.

If someone wanted to buy a better version of this type of thing, what would it be called?

pinchvalve
9/2/14 10:33 p.m.
plance1 wrote: If someone wanted to buy a better version of this type of thing, what would it be called?

Polaris RZR

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/2/14 10:47 p.m.
plance1 wrote: If someone wanted to buy a better version of this type of thing, what would it be called?

Rally car

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
9/3/14 12:34 a.m.
Duke wrote: Well what the hell good is it if some semi-pickled adults can't do a few proficiency runs around the yard in it?

Beef up the front end and have at it!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
9/3/14 12:47 a.m.

You should do a build thread on your 4 wheeler...that thing is sweet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/3/14 7:06 a.m.

You should do a build thread/ride report on your wife... if that offer is still available.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/3/14 7:20 a.m.

Yerfdog with front end problems? Read this!

Hopefully this covers the version that you have.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
9/3/14 8:30 a.m.

I have two, picked them up for 250 bucks a piece. I thought I solved the front end problems by not having adults ride. Then my kid drove it into a tree. I've re made the spindles, and the stupid little tabs the ball joints attach to.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/14 4:47 p.m.

An old Manco with no suspension and big tires? Works around my place to haul two sauced adults. I added a Harbor Freight Predator 6.5hp and Comet Torq-a-verter 30 driveline. Changed to a taller sprocket for less off-the-line. Then governed it to keep it off the power band for the kiddos. Easy to twist the throttle stop screw and get ~40mph with 300# of passengers, though.

Shopped a bunch of Yerf Dogs and the front spindles were all shot. I think this can be fixed in this community. Otherwise, seemed like cool karts to me.

pinchvalve
9/23/14 9:08 a.m.

So this was the usual problem:

Compounding this was the usual solution:

pinchvalve
9/23/14 12:45 p.m.

So I decided to reinforce the spindle/steering knuckle. I had some scrap steel and rudimentary welding knowledge...how hard could it be?

pinchvalve
9/23/14 12:46 p.m.

The end result wasn't too bad.

pinchvalve
9/23/14 12:47 p.m.

My buddy took it back to the cabin, so I am waiting to see how she holds up with abusive kids taking it off-road. I have seen the posts about all of the other things that can go wrong, so I assume it will be back another day for more reinforcements. Considering that there are no rubber boots to keep grease in any of the ball joints, I think I know what I will be replacing next. Wish I had more time with it to go over it thoroughly.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6rsTfTb407TcBwnxd1Q7Fb3K862gdDJ2vYAMuXLPw11acq5RYmlMf06WLYIDqQF8