1 2 3
Duke
Duke PowerDork
7/25/12 12:33 p.m.
irish44j wrote: wait till later. Once you see the wheel gap and way-not-aggressive-enough-offset wheels that most midsize sedans have, it won't look as hot ;)

That situation is made MUCH worse by the current design trend towards giant fender highlights. This can't go out of fashion quickly enough to suit me:

All it does is make the wheels look dinky, no matter how big they are.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/25/12 12:44 p.m.

@Duke: Thank you, I hate that too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/25/12 12:50 p.m.

Yeah I hate the new giant fender bulges too. Those things could almost make a donk look proportional somehow.

The new Mazda6 just looks OK to me. Now the FR-S 2 concept, that was a HAWT car. The production model just came out looking OK.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/25/12 1:34 p.m.

The new fender bulges are just the old fender bulges refreshed...

Nothing is new.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/25/12 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Except with the Toronado they were more in proportion with the rest of the car.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/25/12 11:06 p.m.

And even LESS in proportion with the wheels.

The look of those wheels and the way the tires are tucked in there reminds me of the modified pickup trucks the railroad companies drive down the train tracks to do maintenance.

it's like an S60 + a CC

Thats not a bad looking baby in my book.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/25/12 11:24 p.m.

The front reminds me of a Dodge Dart for some reason.

Before someone tells me i'm wrong, don't bother. I can't explain it. I just looked, and my brain screamed OMG DODGE DART.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/26/12 8:49 a.m.

Well, that made little enough sense to me that i looked at the Toronado again to see if there was something THERE. lol

I approve random thought. Carry on.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/12 10:04 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I didn't see that, but after looking back-and-forth, it's the headlights. All of the new super-swoopies look like that, but the Jag XF, the 6, and the Dart all look very similar, which is no bad thing. I think all three of those cars are nice looking.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/26/12 10:18 a.m.

From Jalopnik it looks nice

Javelin
7/26/12 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen:

That's the Shinari show car, not the production Mazda6. Typical Jalopnik BS.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/12 10:34 a.m.

Certainly an improvement, but I'd call it a tripple, not quite out of the park. The CX5's worse. For all it's dynamic goodness, it's only average styling-wise. Hate to say it, but right now, Korea's designers float my boat more than Japan's

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/26/12 10:38 a.m.

I only hope the eventual re-design of the 3 is as much of an improvement.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/26/12 10:53 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Jaynen: That's the Shinari show car, not the production Mazda6. Typical Jalopnik BS.

Boo! I got excited

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/26/12 10:54 a.m.

IMHO the new 6 is a massive improvement over the current homely design. I'm with you Bravenrace---- hopefully the next 3 will be much better looking than the current abomination. It's rare that I discount a good car due to looks, but I just couldn't stand to look at a current 3 everyday.

Javelin
8/2/12 12:51 p.m.

This just in!

The 6 wagon is great looking!

Looks an awful lot like the XF Shooting Brake to me...

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/2/12 12:59 p.m.

You folks are aware that starting with the '09 model, Mazda split-off the "Euro-market" and JDM Mazda6 from the North American market Mazda6? Just like the other Japanese car companies before them, Mazda finally realized that the larger American body needed a bigger car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/12 1:05 p.m.

HUGE CAR IS HUGE.

Javelin
8/2/12 1:11 p.m.

And both of you realize that the 13 model referenced in this thread brings the 6 back into world car status and is both smaller and lighter than the 09-12 6, right?

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/12 1:23 p.m.
Javelin wrote: And both of you realize that the 13 model referenced in this thread brings the 6 back into world car status and is both smaller and lighter than the 09-12 6, right?

Oh, so it's like a medium sized elephant instead of a large sized elephant?

Javelin
8/2/12 1:28 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

That's why it's called a mid-size car.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/12 1:29 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: That's why it's called a *mid-size* car.

Chill. I'm joking. It's still a huge car.

The first Mazda6 was "the right size" in my opinion, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Javelin
8/2/12 1:36 p.m.

This one is supposed to be the same size as the original, which I agree was the "right size". Where do you get that it's huge?

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/2/12 1:38 p.m.

The pictures... it looks like a behemoth. Even if it's only the size of the original, it LOOKS huge. Sometimes the way things are shaped are weird like that i guess.

If it's not really huge, then i retract my statements, but it still looks like a beast.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
8/2/12 1:44 p.m.

Hmm, 6 Wagon or CX-5?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giUysMlNWJKoEBWt9ePnYc4wIcSsbR28zv3n5kdm9pibZd8ILfBbt58HvRXcqXzv