tommyh
tommyh None
Oct. 25, 2014 11:48 a.m.

I recently bought a 1991 BMW 325iX, coupe, 5-speed manual, red-ish...little faded. The car runs great, feels solid, doesn't look all that shabby outside, and the interior is in great shape. Price $2000.

I found a unicorn. I know this, and I don't want to screw it up.

Where can I find a list of the GRM issues that have had articles about the E30 chassis cars, and what is a "GRM Reader Approved" forum for these cars? Please help me fix the nut behind the wheel of this car.

(pictures added soon)

P.S. I was actually looking for an inexpensive SAAB 900/9-3 5-door when this car fell into my lap

SlickDizzy PowerDork
Oct. 25, 2014 12:07 p.m.

R3vlimited.com is a pretty good E30 forum. Someone will chime in if GRM has done an article (there isn't a "list" anywhere that I'm aware of). They are pretty robust cars, just keep a good timing belt on it, keep rust at bay, and don't break the transmission (ix transmission parts are near unobtainium these days).

stuart in mn PowerDork
Oct. 25, 2014 12:48 p.m.

Nice car! I've owned several iX's, I currently have a 1988 model. There's an iX registry at http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/iX/ I think it's mostly inactive today (Gordon Haines who founded the site sold his cars some years ago) but there's still some good information there. In particular, read through the newsletters - they cover a lot of the quirks these cars have. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal; there aren't many of them left, particularly ones that are still in good condition.

My previous two iX's were red as well (the one I have now is white) and a good detail/buff/wax will really make the color come alive.

irish44j PowerDork
Oct. 26, 2014 12:20 a.m.

yeah, R3vlimited is a pretty good resource. Some of the usual forum BS, but overall a ton of knowledge if you stay in the technical sections and build threads section. I'm sure you can find a few IX builds in there to boot...

amg_rx7 Dork
Oct. 26, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Be careful with the transfer case. I briefly had one before the days of the interwebz and got hosed by a BMW shop's interpretation of fixing the transfer case. Back then, that was the most prevalent problem with the iX

tommyh
tommyh New Reader
Oct. 26, 2014 11:25 p.m.

Thank you for the advise so far.

Stuart, that car looks exact like mine...except with much better paint...

Please keep the recommendations coming. This car will not really see duty beyond daily driving and some short-ish road trips.

BoxheadTim UltimaDork
Oct. 27, 2014 12:16 a.m.

Transfer case issues are still prevalent with them, especially if the central viscous coupling is busted. It'll still work(ish) in AWD, but you have an open center diff that's not going to do you any favours when you're driving on a slippery surface.

Oddly enough mine was also red.

Desmond Reader
Oct. 27, 2014 12:31 a.m.

I prefer the non AWD versions because they are lighter and simpler, but any E30 is a rad car in my book. Congrats!

stuart in mn PowerDork
Oct. 27, 2014 8:06 a.m.
Desmond wrote: I prefer the non AWD versions because they are lighter and simpler, but any E30 is a rad car in my book. Congrats!

95% of the time the all wheel drive is unnecessary, but it sure is nice to have for that other 5%.

Oct. 27, 2014 8:29 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Desmond wrote: I prefer the non AWD versions because they are lighter and simpler, but any E30 is a rad car in my book. Congrats!

95% of the time the all wheel drive is unnecessary, but it sure is nice to have for that other 5%.

There are times... when it's nice to have.

Desmond Reader
Oct. 27, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Never stopped the RWD E30s

irish44j PowerDork
Oct. 27, 2014 6:09 p.m.

^^this

rcutclif Reader
Oct. 27, 2014 9:01 p.m.

I had an automatic one a few years ago. Not the fastest car I have ever driven, but I was continually blown away about how sure footed it was in any slippery stuff.

I was constantly turning in early to anticipate the slide, and then having to correct out to not run over the apex because the car did not slide, it just turned in.

We always thought a 5 speed would have been the E36 M3. Good buy at 2k.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

2 hours ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

2 hours ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

What Was the Most Powerful Car at the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day?

3 hours ago in News

What if we told you it was an Audi?

Up to the Challenge

3 days ago in Articles

Torque: It's how Glen Bunch's vintage Dodge keeps pace with today's machines.

This Friday: The Ultimate Track Car Showdown

4 days ago in News

Come watch some of the country’s top track cars duke it out for fame, glory and some tasty prizes.

You Need This: Metallic Brown Toyota Celica

4 days ago in News

This looks a lot like one that we had in our fleet back in the day.

GRM Live Tonight: Learn to Drive VIR With Pro Driver Mike Skeen

4 days ago in News

Want to learn to drive Virginia International Raceway from a pro?

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

5 days ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Are V6 Mustangs Fun, Too?

5 days ago in News

Can a V6 Mustang be just as much fun as a V8-powered car?

Our Miata Needs a New Engine

5 days ago in Project Cars

Our Mazda racer heads to Treasure Coast Miata for a new heart.

Mercedes-Benz 500 E: Like a Drug

6 days ago in Articles

Many of us dream about the perfect Q-ship. Mercedes-Benz rolled one right out of the factory.

Meet the GRM Crew at Carlisle This Weekend

6 days ago in News

We’re loading up the van, and tomorrow morning we make tracks for Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
jU5n8SXdcOjjBFERC8bEtkfI7g9Y5a5o