Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/08 8:19 p.m.

It's no secret around here that I have a thing for pit bikes.

A few months back, I was having so much fun with my 1971 Honda CT70 Mini Trail, that I decided I wanted something that I could legally ride on the street. Sub-50cc scooters don't need to be registered in Connecticut, so I started to check into them. Since I tend to like things that say "Honda" on them, I discovered the Ruckus. They're really slow (surprise!) but they have a huge following and lots of aftermarket support. After a lot of searching on eBay and Craigslist, I realized that used ones were selling (immediately) for about $300 less than the MSRP of a new one. So, I bit the bullet and put a deposit on an '09. I was looking forward to tearing into a brand new vehicle for a change and I started ordering go-fast(er) parts while I waited for the bike to show up

I finally picked it up last week, and, after a few rainy days, I was able to put a few miles on it.

Photobucket

Like anything else, there are opinions all over the web about what parts work best. They're definitely geared toward the youth market and there's a lot of sixteen year old experts out there. I decided to install one part at a time and ride it for a while in order to get a more accurate idea of what works and what doesn't, and, at the same time, try to filter out the placebo effect of just adding shiny new stuff.

Then this morning, this thing showed up about 100 feet from my house:

Photobucket

I'm on vacation for the next week. This is gonna be fun.

(Oh, and if anybody knows where I can find a wrecked Honda Silver Wing 600cc scooter with a good engine, please let me know!)

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
8/14/08 8:34 p.m.

Is that E.T. featured on the the buckle up sign?

Woodyhfd
8/14/08 8:39 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Is that E.T. featured on the the buckle up sign?

Yeah, it is. A few years back, Progressive insurance used ET in their commercials. Then they donated a bunch of "Buckle Up" signs to police departments around the state. They may even have donated the radar trailer. Fortunately, it doesn't have a camera in it! It even posted my speed as I was walking up to it to take the picture.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/14/08 8:43 p.m.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117489764.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&s=h&p=0

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/08 9:29 p.m.

neat little bike

caffecapri
caffecapri New Reader
8/14/08 9:54 p.m.

Fun. Look forward to seeing your "radar" trap speed.

Nice garage...nice purchase.

Woodyhfd
8/15/08 6:41 a.m.
caffecapri wrote: Fun. Look forward to seeing your "radar" trap speed. Nice garage...nice purchase.

My first four runs were stuck at 39, but I managed to hit 40 on my fifth attempt.

Unfortunately, they put the radar unit at the end of an S-turn. To get to 40, I had to come out of the turn maxed out and pointing directly at the radar, so it was a little hairy.

The scooter has only got 100 miles on it, but there's not much more speed in it in stock form. For my record attempt, I added a high flow air filter, removed a mirror and was in full tuck. Aerodynamics play a big role in speed when you have such a tiny engine. I've got to make a small fairing and start making some changes to the CVT transmission (aftermarket variator). Those will have to suffice until I can find a big engine to swap in.

Weather pending, I hope to make a few runs with the old CT 70 this weekend. I'm sure it's faster than the Ruckus, (23cc's more and a three speed transmission) but the Ruckus is much smoother and a lot quieter.

therex
therex Dork
8/15/08 7:43 a.m.

You need to get one of those chinese 125's to put in there.

Woodyhfd
8/15/08 8:05 a.m.

The "easy" swap is the 150cc GY6, but I'd like to keep it all Honda.

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
8/15/08 8:46 a.m.

Love it! can't wait for updates...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/15/08 9:10 a.m.

That is hilarious about the radar station! GET SOME!

HD racers have been known to lean down and grab the left fork leg to tuck in tighter for the straights while racing on dirt. Those bikes are so evenly matched that any advantage is worth pursuing.

Grassroots fairing construction in your future?

therex
therex Dork
8/15/08 9:46 a.m.
Woodyhfd wrote: The "easy" swap is the 150cc GY6, but I'd like to keep it all Honda.

That's...sort of honda. ;)

Woodyhfd
8/15/08 7:39 p.m.
therex wrote:
Woodyhfd wrote: The "easy" swap is the 150cc GY6, but I'd like to keep it all Honda.
That's...sort of honda. ;)

Well...maybe on paper.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SpVuvZMCpoXMwRhvJ7PbrFQzNbUYNL6IjPuxlCogRlNdW7fEtwi6fnVb6I32GUwx