GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/08 7:40 p.m.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/09/old-porsches-ar.html

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
9/25/08 8:11 p.m.

Porsche did the 550 tribute thing on the Boxster with such ferocity that I think people forget that it (the Boxster) IS the reinvented 914!

For the brief period when I had my Boxster and my 914 at the same time, I was struck at just how similar they were, even 35 years separated. Two trunks, midengined, sweet handling, decent ergonomics for the time (sure the 914 had crazy Beetle sliders for the heating, and the Boxster had 14 thousand buttons on the stereo, but still) and topless motoring.

As for the 912, I personally might be very interested in a 4cyl Cayman. Direct injection, maybe a turbo like Ford's ecosteroids or whatever they're calling it. Get it down in the $30s and let's get a little 2-seater to chase the 128i's around the cones.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/08 8:31 p.m.

I just wish I could figure out a way to take the engine out of my WRX and drop it into a Boxster.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
9/25/08 9:15 p.m.

I've never owned a Porsche, but my favorite uncle had a series of 914s back in the day, and loved them dearly. Then he got older, and moved on to larger cars. A couple of years ago he bought a Miata, and I asked him how he liked it.

He said, "It's like a 914, but it actually works!

Once again, the answer is...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/25/08 9:22 p.m.

Ya'll should check out the current issue of Classic. It compares a 914 and Boxster back to back.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/25/08 10:07 p.m.

Automobile writes this month that VW and Audi may be sharing a mid engine targa type roadster car, and the pics, which are likely photoshopped possibilities, actually looked pretty good. The article went on to say that Porsche would likely not be interested due to brand dilution and so on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01gqYpRqEQRWhJDXLR4mcT5EaksHi123pCiVHkaEixVkZBmYxtKZ7hdTol36O4uJ