klb67
klb67 Reader
9/30/16 8:47 a.m.

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.4 - 112,000 miles. Original struts and shocks. I'm getting new tires from a local shop. I have been concerned that its time or beyond time to replace the struts and shocks. My dealer last month said they are fine - no signs of leaking, etc. Years ago I cupped newish tires by being cheap and not replacing marginal shocks in another car. There are not good aftermarket options that I have found for this Sonata (if you know of any, please post them here), and front struts and rear shocks will be about $550-600 in parts, plus labor, plus alignment. Do factory struts and shocks last longer now days? Is the dealer wrong? Seems odd they wouldn't sell me new suspension when I'm asking about replacing it.

trucke
trucke Dork
9/30/16 12:12 p.m.

That price sounds like it should include labor.

If this is a daily driver, then you just need to ensure that it recovers after going over a bump and they are not leaking. You should be fine for a while. Once you're bouncing down the road, get them changed.

We have a Highlander with 160k and original shocks are still fine.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/30/16 12:26 p.m.

The OE struts on that platform suck. I can't believe you got that many miles out of them. The mounts and played should be good to go. Just get some struts/shocks they are easy enough to install. Kyb offer good or replacement that should last longer than the OE.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/30/16 12:28 p.m.

Hell, if you were closer there are several of us kdm guys in the area that would help install and align for a case of adult alcoholic beverages.

trucke
trucke Dork
9/30/16 1:37 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: help install and align for a case of adult alcoholic beverages.

How well would that work?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/30/16 1:47 p.m.

I'm sure it'll be fine if they stick to their flow chart.

klb67
klb67 Reader
9/30/16 1:53 p.m.

Bob I certainly appreciate the offer. I still tinker some, especially on my 67 mustang, and do occasional oil changes, etc. But I've unfortunately graduated to the camp where routine maintenance goes to a shop, especially with 2 young boys and a busy job. Thus I have time (still not enough) to play with the boys, tinker on and race sail boats, etc. Since it's getting tires now, if I do shocks/struts, the shop will do that too. I can't find any good options for front stuts for some reason. They must be different just for this year. I know they had some complaints/potential warranty issues that might have been tied to struts - I can't recall now. I'm actually going to try out a new to me shop that tends to specialize in higher end stuff, but has been recommended to me before even for more pedestrian stuff like my Sonata. We'll see what they say.

klb67
klb67 Reader
10/13/16 9:28 a.m.

I figured I'd close the loop in this. New tires, struts and strut mounts and rear shocks. Much improved ride and handling and I attribute it equally to tires and suspension bits. It wasn't cheap but I'm happy I had the work done. Plan is to put on another 75-100,000 miles, over hopefully more than a few years. Unless I convince myself to go get a BWM E90 next year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b6ewEDgfVkQJA8dT6OXUETTidlHNAG5q6GyMwDEmNe2iSlfe3gDa5kXsneq6tyDv