poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/22/18 11:01 a.m.

Looking at Sport Comp 2’s or “Comp 2 A/S.” Any thoughts there? I NEED better traction in the wet, longevity, and less road noise than the Pilot Sport AS3+ tires that are on there now.

Should I be considering the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 as well?

Thoughts? 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/22/18 11:08 a.m.

Currently running that very tire on my 2010 'V' LOVE them.....work very well here in subtropical(rain every afternoon) southern Alabama .....quiet too!!!yes

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/22/18 11:10 a.m.

Interested as well. I've got the SC2s on the 128i now and was considering the Michelin A/S3+ as a replacement. SC2 A/S and DWS06 were on the radar.

FWIW, the Sport Comp-2 is a nice tire in every respect except longevity, at least in my experience. I'd like to get more than ~20k miles out of my DD tires.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
9/22/18 11:59 a.m.

My friend called them "too grippy to be fun" but they wore terribly and lasted ~15k. 

Replaced with Sailun Atrezzo SVA1 and I'm much happier.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
9/22/18 12:08 p.m.

I put sport comp 2s on the front of my GTI and I'm a big fan.  Have been running Conti DWS before, but the BFGs seem to have better wet and dry grip.

poopshovel again
9/22/18 12:54 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Currently running that very tire on my 2010 'V' LOVE them.....work very well here in subtropical(rain every afternoon) southern Alabama .....quiet too!!!yes

Which ones? The Sport Comps or Comp “AS?”

poopshovel again
9/22/18 12:56 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Interested as well. I've got the SC2s on the 128i now and was considering the Michelin A/S3+ as a replacement. SC2 A/S and DWS06 were on the radar.

FWIW, the Sport Comp-2 is a nice tire in every respect except longevity, at least in my experience. I'd like to get more than ~20k miles out of my DD tires.

Don’t buy the AS3’s then. I can look at the exact mileage later, but I’m 99% sure I haven’t hit 20k.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/22/18 12:59 p.m.
buzzboy said:

My friend called them "too grippy to be fun" but they wore terribly and lasted ~15k. 

Replaced with Sailun Atrezzo SVA1 and I'm much happier.

There's something to be said for this assessment - the grip levels they generate on my 128i are well above what I can use on the street. Even on my lateral G test curve (a downhill decreasing-radius on-ramp) the speed they carry is enough to get me ticketed in any state in the Union. A less-grippy but similarly predictable tire with benign transitional behavior would be more fun on the street.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
9/22/18 1:02 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
02Pilot said:

Don’t buy the AS3’s then. I can look at the exact mileage later, but I’m 99% sure I haven’t hit 20k.

Wow. Given their 500TW I expected better. The Sport Comp-2s are 340TW, and the SC2 A/S are 400TW. I know these aren't absolute measurements, but still....

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/22/18 1:15 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
759NRNG said:

Which ones? The Sport Comps or Comp “AS?”

AS's 275square on 19's and this time I will be rotating religously......

poopshovel again
9/22/18 2:08 p.m.
02Pilot said:
poopshovel again said:
02Pilot said:

Wow. Given their 500TW I expected better. The Sport Comp-2s are 340TW, and the SC2 A/S are 400TW. I know these aren't absolute measurements, but still....

Interesting. Couldn’t find TW on the site I was looking at. Good to know!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/22/18 7:47 p.m.

I have BFG Sport Comp 2 on my Corvette and I like them.  They're very predictable but we rarely get rain here in the desert so I can't help you there.  I believe they will wear well.   I had a set on a Miata and did lots of sliding without putting a dent in the tread.  

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/18 8:34 p.m.

Ive put about 10000 very hard miles on a set of BFG Comp 2's. Lots of autocrosses and track days. Car is a 1991 Firebird with stock suspension and 2 degrees negitive camber. They are fairly worn now, but dismounting them and rotating the worn sides in is helping get the most out of them.  They seem pretty good for the price, but are clearly not a 200tw super tire.

poopshovel again
9/22/18 9:49 p.m.

dismounting them and rotating the worn sides in is helping get the most out of them.

This is something I’d never considered. On a “staggered” setup, I may need to start. Thanks!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/22/18 10:47 p.m.

I have a set of the Conti DWS06 on my DD, really love them. I would like to get a more performance oriented tire next time around. They're great for the street, especially in the wet, but I'd like to have something I could autocross.

Tried one event. On an open diff front wheel drive with 162 ft-lbs at 3500, I couldn't hook up, even in a straight line.

Thought of the Conti ES, but they don't come in the stock size. After reading this discussion, I think I'll try the BFGs. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/23/18 8:59 a.m.

If you're looking at Sport Comp 2 A/S also consider General AS-05's. 

For just the Sport Comp 2s, I really think they're the best tire in that category dollar for dollar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ECOUb3fChJ9EIOPBBdnSCxnlii3YPCZvj8XWKS0qDvrI6wuf0RlY0yE22XZ8SV4J