1 2 3 4
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 9:55 a.m.

I am looking at getting a truck for my business (don't tell SWMBO). I am interested in a regular or extended cab long bed with the best possible MPGs. The Chevy 1500 W/T makes good sense because in my area I can get a 2017 reg cab long bed for $18k (listed on Autotrader). These are only rated at 24 mpg highway. If I could get that honestly, I would be ok with that but my commute is all interstate and a bit hilly. The Fords are rated at 26 hwy on the 2.7TT and 3.3 v6s but I doubt I can get as good a deal on those. I would have to call and negotiate to find out. I would also be ok with the Dodge but, as usual, quality and durability might be an issue. What say the Hive?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/11/17 10:04 a.m.

I know that Dodge made a package that with their V6 got 30mpg.

I will warn you that the Chevy EcoTec3 4.3L suffers from some reliability issues. Largely carbon buildup and misfires from being direct-injected, as well as valvetrain issues from the Active Fuel Management. Seen a few 4.3Ls with broken rocker arms or collapsed lifters or scored cams, as well as valvestems with carbon deposits the size of gumballs at 35K miles. Also, when they drop into V4 mode, they have a terrible resonance that will shake the whole truck and make your teeth rattle, and nothing can be done about it. Also, not sure of the climate where you are or driveline configuration you are looking at, but ever since the new trucks came out in '14, GM has chased issues with electronic transfer cases sticking themselves in 4WD in cold weather. 4 years later its still an issue and no amount of recalls and reprograms has fixed it.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 10:14 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Wow, that sucks on the 4.3L. That was looking like the most reasonable option. The 4wd thing isn't an issue as I can't afford 4wd anyhow. 

How are the Ram 8 speeds doing? The pentastar is doing ok isn't it?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/11/17 10:19 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

I'm a GM mechanic, so no word on Chrysler stuff. But yeah, when GM did the redesign in '14, they really screwed the trucks up. The EcoTec3 5.3L and 4.3L are really troublesome engines.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
12/11/17 10:24 a.m.

The Ram truck V6 that gets close to 30 mpg is the EcoDiesel, but unfotunately they don't cheap.

The 2.7TT Ecoboost V6 in the Ford does pretty good, good friend has one and loves it. He picked his up new for less than $30K. The 3.5 Ecoboost was $58K, was more than he could justify spending.

As for problems, they all have issues in one way or another. I've been doing research on the Ecoboost and Ecodiesel trucks, ran across people listing issues for both. Best I can offer is do research on them and pick which one best fits your needs.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/11/17 10:31 a.m.

Does the slightly smaller Chevy Colorado make any sense for you?  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 10:40 a.m.

It does if I can get 48" between the wheel wells in the bed. I need to be able to put a 4'x8' sheet of metal in the bed. I would prefer to close the tail gate but if I can get 2-3 mpg better in the smaller truck, that is worth it to run a strap or two around the metal. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/11/17 10:56 a.m.

I read that as 6volt half ton truck.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/17 11:00 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to NickD :

Wow, that sucks on the 4.3L. That was looking like the most reasonable option. The 4wd thing isn't an issue as I can't afford 4wd anyhow. 

How are the Ram 8 speeds doing? The pentastar is doing ok isn't it?

We have the same pentastar and 8 speed getrag box in the charger.  It’s a very nice combo.  I prefer the ram to the other two just because personal preference, i tried all 3 and the ram fit me best.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

From a looks standpoint the Ram is my least favorite, but it is as cheap as the chevy but appears more robust.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 11:52 a.m.

Looks like the Colorado is 44" at the wheel wells. No go. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
12/11/17 1:11 p.m.

The 2.7T looks amazing on paper.  Not sure how cheap you can get that configured in a stripper work truck.  

325hp / 350Tq.?  That's better than most 1/2 ton V8's from the start of this decade.  My understanding is this rating is based on running base 87 octane fuel as well.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 1:17 p.m.

In reply to xflowgolf :

Doesn't look like a real possibility as I am trying to keep the price to the BARE minimum to appease the wife.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/17 1:38 p.m.

Maybe ask a fleet sales person instead of the regular salesman.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/17 2:58 p.m.

I don't know anything other than internet lore about reliability but I do know that I like the way the Dodges drive.  I've rented several of them and while the HEMI is decidedly more fun I've never wished for more power in the V6 trucks when I was driving like a more or less responsible adult.  That's not true of the old normally aspirated v6 in the Fords.  I haven't driven the new ones.  I can't say as the V6 got any better mileage for me than the HEMI did.  I got around 20MPG with both of them.  I don't know what the gearing was in either and I did more highway driving with the HEMI.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 3:31 p.m.

I test drove a 2018 Ford LWB single cab with the 3.3L NA motor and a 2017 Chevy 4.3L LWB single cab over lunch. 

The Ford:

Decent power, mediocre ergo, priced above the Chevy by a couple grand. 

The Chevy:

Better ergo except no telescope on steering wheel. The seat was better though. No keyless entry on this particular model or Bluetooth. Crank windows which doesn't matter all that much to me. However, the v4 mode KILLED it for me. Sitting at idle, it shook about like a Harley. 

Going to have to go far away to find a Ram 2wd. I can likely get a V8 for the same or less than a v6. Good to hear that you didn't see a MPG drop on the v8, APEowner. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/17 3:57 p.m.
NickD said:

I will warn you that the Chevy EcoTec3 4.3L suffers from some reliability issues. Largely carbon buildup and misfires from being direct-injected, as well as valvetrain issues from the Active Fuel Management. Seen a few 4.3Ls with broken rocker arms or collapsed lifters or scored cams, as well as valvestems with carbon deposits the size of gumballs at 35K miles.

Curious - how much of this do you attribute to particular types of use? I know that the diesel 6.7s had DPF problems when allowed to sit and idle for hours. Those who keep their trucks moving found the system much less problematic because it was able to go into regen. Are there similar behaviors on the GDI engines?

I can see how a V4 would be shaky, they're just not a well-balanced design.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/11/17 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The carbon deposit problems that some GDI engines have is because the intake tract and intake valves get gunked by the PCV, because there's no injector up there to clean everything.  Since it's upstream of any real heat/exhaust/fuel, I don't think usage type has much if any effect on the severity of the problem.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/11/17 5:48 p.m.

The Ram truck V6 that gets close to 30 mpg is the EcoDiesel

I seem to remember them doing a 'fuel economy' trim package on the v6 gasser before the diesel came out, but i can't remember specifics. I think most of the 2wds are rated 25 on the highway.

When Ram recertified the ecodiesel from 28 to 29hwy mpg they said they did it by adding running boards and a tonneau cover. I think it already had active grille shutters. 

Anyway, that's certainly within spitting distance of the others' rated economy. 

The only 3.6/8spd ram i have driven was a 4dr 2wd and i REALLY liked it. But, i like the style and interior of those trucks to begin with and having a 20+ mpg 300hp gas truck with 4 full doors seemed like a revolutionary concept at the time. Now it's normal, but no less cool. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Since the other two are turning me off the Dodge is looking like a great option. My FIL had a ecodiesel crewcab. It was a nicer model and I liked it. However, he got rid of it though when the engine started going into limp model and the dealer couldn't figure out why. A lower spec model might be the ticket. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
12/11/17 7:07 p.m.

If the f150 is available with the na 3.7L that is in my Transit I'd seriously consider getting one. I really like the performance in the cab chassis.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 7:20 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

Yeah, they have had that engine and a few variations for several years. 

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/11/17 9:19 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

i looked very carefully at Chevrolet. I wanted to purchase a Chevrolet due to the fantastic service I had with mine.  20 years service, 371,000 miles with only $1000 spent on repairs and none of them left me stranded.

Instead I wound up selecting a Ford.  I was able to purchase a Ford for a significantly better deal.  

Ive now owned that truck for almost a year with absolutely no problem. In fact I’ve been extremely pleased with the Ford. It’s done everything I asked of it and returned slightly better fuel mileage than anticipated.  

One option which has proven beneficial beyond any is the Flex Fuel option.  It adds only $100 to the list price and discounts the usual 20% effectively it saves me $10.00 per tank and even discounting the decrease in fuel mileage I still save $5.00  per tank full 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/11/17 9:40 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

What engine/drivetrain do you have? What kind of mileage are you getting?

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/12/17 5:27 a.m.
singleslammer said:

The Chevy:

Better ergo except no telescope on steering wheel. The seat was better though. No keyless entry on this particular model or Bluetooth. Crank windows which doesn't matter all that much to me. However, the v4 mode KILLED it for me. Sitting at idle, it shook about like a Harley. 

Sitting at idle it was not in V4 mode. That's regular 90 degree V6 quiveriness. They don't go into V4 until you are cruising. Then they drone and shake.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wLnfRkIKE6qIrB4WwbEamj85fzVo3R2Ww4FE4v8bRrZSmmyHOPI9to1n2riMmlL3