1 2
NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/5/19 9:20 p.m.

One of the super incredible perks at my job is that they lease me a vehicle.  Last time around I leased a 2016 GTI and it was a solid choice, really enjoyed it.  This time around I have a little bit more budget and I am looking at the Acura TLX SH-AWD, the A4 (Quattro), and also the Infiniti Q50 3.0T AWD.   

Anyone own any of these cars?  Possibly share some real world experience with any of them,  good and the bad.  I did test drive the TLX SH-AWD and it was pretty cool.  I did a lot of research on it and there is a lot of bad press out there on the ZF 9-speed transmission, which the TLX has.  The trans seemed acceptable/responsive but I wasn’t really getting on it too hard.

I should note that last time around I got the 6-speed manual GTI and my job was kind of pissed I got the manual as nobody else could drive it, because nobody know how to drive a manual anymore.  That is why I am eyeing vehicles with automatics.  I am 41 and have never owned a vehicle with an automatic trans.  I have yet to drive the A4 but I would be inclined to think I would be most happy with the dual clutch gearbox in that car.  I have driven a Golf R with the DSG and it was pretty sick.

Are there any other sedan choices out there that with performance oriented automatic transmissions that I am missing?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
11/5/19 9:25 p.m.

GS-F

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
11/5/19 9:34 p.m.

I’d get the Infiniti. It’s a nice looking and driving car with a solid drivetrain and there aren’t 5 at every intersection. I.e. its a bit more unique  

The Acura is pretty bland imo and everyone leases an Audi or bmw. I’m not a big fan of either of those fwiw. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/5/19 11:07 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 :

Weird, I see them everywhere around here. So much so that I looked up pricing wondering if there was a local bidding war. 

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/6/19 5:25 a.m.

I leased a TLX for three years back when the lease rates were super duper cheap. Zzzzzzz. Tranny is fine, not good, not great, just fine.  It's nice-ish inside.

No idea what your budget is, but an S4 is the acceptable A4. The regular A4 has a 4-pot which LOL, not a luxury car if it has a GTI engine.

Since you're leasing, and not paying, why not get something fun? Like a Stinger?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/19 5:30 a.m.

Explorer ST

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/6/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to NJArch :

Two years ago we were looking hard at the TLX SH-AWD to replace my wife's old TSX.  We were very underwhelmed despite having loved the TSX for 15 years.

We wound up with a 2017 Volvo S60 T5 AWD for her.  We love that enough that this year I bought a 2019 V60 T6 AWD for me.   The S60/V60 line has been completely redesigned for 2019.  The new S60 is a very nice car for the money and in T6 AWD trim it's pretty darn quick as a daily driver.

The 8-speed auto is pretty decent.  It's actually a little quicker on the downshifts in the 2017 version than it is in the 2019 version, but it's pretty good.  Plus, for $1100 you can get the Polestar tune which boosts midrange power, holds lower gears longer, and shifts the torque bias towards the rear wheels in AWD models.  It can be installed by the dealer on most models.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/19 8:03 a.m.

Genesis G70

Hands-down the best sports sedan of the bunch, amazing interior, great road manners, comfortable for long hauls and competent in the twisty bits. Typical excellent Hyundai/Kia reliability and value proposition. Plus, you tell your boss you are leasing a Hyundai, not a premium German brand (even though it is much better than a base A4).

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/6/19 8:05 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Plus you can get it with a stick!

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/6/19 10:22 a.m.
amg_rx7 said:

I’d get the Infiniti. It’s a nice looking and driving car with a solid drivetrain and there aren’t 5 at every intersection. I.e. its a bit more unique  

The Acura is pretty bland imo and everyone leases an Audi or bmw. I’m not a big fan of either of those fwiw. 

I am going to to try to test drive that one today.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
11/6/19 10:25 a.m.

Kia K900. Seriously. 

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/6/19 10:25 a.m.
Dave M said:

I leased a TLX for three years back when the lease rates were super duper cheap. Zzzzzzz. Tranny is fine, not good, not great, just fine.  It's nice-ish inside.

No idea what your budget is, but an S4 is the acceptable A4. The regular A4 has a 4-pot which LOL, not a luxury car if it has a GTI engine.

Since you're leasing, and not paying, why not get something fun? Like a Stinger?

Was your TLX the 6cyl or the 4cyl?  I agree on the 2.0 in the A4.  The engine is good but I have the same one in my GTI and my biggest complaint is actually the lack of noise.  These turbo 4s don't sound like anything and that is pretty important to me.  The V6 in the TLX sounds pretty good and is one of the best things about that car.  

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/6/19 10:28 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I haven't really looked into the G70.  I looked into them briefly and I think I remember that they did not have any lease specials on the turbo 6cyl....only the 4.  I got discouraged and looked elsewhere.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/6/19 10:34 a.m.

Are they doing good lease deals on the slow selling Buick Regal wagon? 

Any interest in the Volvo offerings? They sure are handsome to me. 

I too agree on Kia Stinger/Genesis being desirable 

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/6/19 10:36 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

Kia K900. Seriously. 

It seems like this may have teh same powertrain as the G70.  I think I am looking for something a little more sporty, and less expensive.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/6/19 11:00 a.m.

We just got the wife the XC90 T6 and it is a pretty great ride. Volvo has really stepped up their game of late.

I would imagine the T6 in a sedan would be a hoot, and I love all the driver assist (something I never thought I'd say). If you drive a lot for work it has adaptive cruise at highway speeds and at stop and go speeds. It also hold the brakes for you at long stop lights (guilty pleasure that I use way more than I thought I would).

Otherwise, I like the Stinger/G70 idea as well.

If you are leasing, the LeaseHackr forum has a ton of good information.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/6/19 11:04 a.m.

G70 or Stinger

chaparral
chaparral Dork
11/6/19 11:06 a.m.

Tesla Model 3!

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/19 11:36 a.m.

I have a 2017 A4 Quattro as a DD and love it.  I can't compare to the others.  I don't tend to use the paddles but the DSG has never left me frustrated in its gear selection.  I see your profile is NJ.  If you're close to Philly you're welcome to a non-dealer test drive.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
11/6/19 1:31 p.m.
chaparral said:

Tesla Model 3!

Oh, good idea!

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
11/6/19 8:00 p.m.
amg_rx7 said:

Just got back from test driving the Infiniti, the 3.0t AWD model.   The horsepower and torque rating for the car have to be underrated, I believe it is something like 300HP and 290ish ft/lbs.   That thing could move and was also very comfortable.   Also the trans was very responsive.  When you dropped gears in manual mode it also rev matched which was pretty cool.  After driving the Infiniti the TLX is a memory.  I am going to drive the A4 soon but it is going o be hard to top the Infiniti.  It just felt very fast and also sounded good too.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
11/6/19 8:14 p.m.

A4s are a big Meh in my experience. I’d check out the G70 first.

The new Mazda 3 and 6 might be worth a look. Very nice cars. The 3 offers AWD, while the 6 offers 310 torques. The autos are slick, especially in Sport mode.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/19 8:40 p.m.

I can be a "Richard" so if I was comfortable in my job performance and skills I'd purposely get something with a stick like the G70 or a Stinger.  Let 'em talk crap behind my back and act pissy.  They want to move or drive my car, man up...Berkeley 'em, the third pedal doesn't affect my job performance.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/6/19 8:50 p.m.
CyberEric said:

A4s are a big Meh in my experience.

We drove an A4 when we were shopping for DW.  We couldn't wait to finish the test drive and get into something more pleasant.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/6/19 9:39 p.m.
NJArch said:

I should note that last time around I got the 6-speed manual GTI and my job was kind of pissed I got the manual as nobody else could drive it, because nobody know how to drive a manual anymore. 

Losers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MDmyiVGbVG84DERAaVNZd8Pn4FDejjMIGN6WpmphlVL78MaFrwLUUN0dLYKcjXvf