1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/19 8:33 a.m.
NJArch said:

I should note that last time around I got the 6-speed manual GTI and my job was kind of pissed I got the manual as nobody else could drive it, because nobody know how to drive a manual anymore.

I don't quite see the problem?

Are there any other sedan choices out there that with performance oriented automatic transmissions that I am missing?

In the spirit of recommending what you own/lease, I'd also look at an Alfa Giulia. Comes in AWD (optionally), slushbox is on par with the Q50's based on the rental I had earlier in the year, and I do like it better than the Q50.Not DSG territory, though. Haven't driven any of the other two cars.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
11/7/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

If you have to get an auto, the Model 3 will be more fun than anything with ICE.  Won't make the sounds you like probably, but man is the right pedal fun!!

NJArch
NJArch New Reader
12/4/19 3:34 p.m.

As an update to this I eventually went with the Audi A4.  I ended up with the cheapest one they offer with Quattro, which includes the stronger 2.0 turbo engine (as opposed to the weaker 2.0 in the FWD model).  One of the biggest deciding factors was the DSG transmission.  This is my first car with an auto in over 20 years.  The transmission in this car is pretty good as far as autos go.  In sport mode it downshifts super fast and the paddles on the steering wheel are also very responsive.  Acceleration is quick and linear.  Apparently it has an AWD launch mode that will hit 60 in 5.5. seconds which I have yet to try because I want to put some miles on it first.

I really liked the Acura TLX SH-AWD but the 9-speed transmission in that car scared me away, too many bad reviews and even on the test drive it showed some of it's flaws.

I also really like the Infiniti Q50, it was the fastest out of the three. That 3.0 twin-turbo is  a sweet engine,  Nissan should put that in everything.  Also the trans in the Q50 isn't too shabby, shifts were pretty quick when in manual mode and auto.

I also briefly considered the Alfa Romeo Giulia but was ultimately worried about reliability.  I will put 23,000 miles on the car a year and I was very concerned about how the car was going to hold up to this.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pi7bedMF5yqHcfnUXUoiIgL44YmVGCGxw4Ai0VV9sR7cv4fRpIv313GmY2BnUPfd