1 2
nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/10/20 3:14 a.m.

Still working on my new shop, and I have turned my thoughts to my work bench.

I am thinking of just leaving my old one in the old shop instead of moving it yet again.  It is made from 4x4 posts and 2x6 with plywood top.  It has served me well, but it is pretty well worn, and me thinks might be time to make a new one.

I could make another wood one.  Or use some of my pallet rack beams.   Or weld up some steel.     I've seen lots of welding table builds, might like one of those too.

Any advice here?    

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/10/20 8:13 a.m.

I just used 2x4 and a plywood top capped with a sheet of stainless I had bent to wrap the corners and provide a back splash.

3 yrs old with lots of abuse,still looks good and easy to wipe clean etc.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
3/10/20 9:48 a.m.

My old bench was a workhorse, built on a 4x4 frame, with a solid core door for a worktop.  It served me for 10 years, and is probably still serving the guy that bought it from me.

It was cheap, and worked for what I was doing for a long time, but it wasn't up to a lot of the fabrication projects I've done over the past few years so it was time to build something out of steel.  I also wanted to up my storage game, and had a few other ideas for the bench.  The new one is framed with 2x2 steel, and incorporates two HF side cabinets for storage.  Work top is 1/4".  I also built a 'receiver' into every corner to accomodate tools (band saw, tubing notcher, etc.) mounted to square stock that can slide in/out when needed.  So far, I'm loving it... laugh

Wood is cheap and easy to build, but not up to a lot of fabrication tasks so you'll want to consider what you're planning to use it for.  Steel is expensive and more work to build, but will probably last forever.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
3/10/20 11:30 a.m.
Rodan said:

My old bench was a workhorse, built on a 4x4 frame, with a solid core door for a worktop.  It served me for 10 years, and is probably still serving the guy that bought it from me.

It was cheap, and worked for what I was doing for a long time, but it wasn't up to a lot of the fabrication projects I've done over the past few years so it was time to build something out of steel.  I also wanted to up my storage game, and had a few other ideas for the bench.  The new one is framed with 2x2 steel, and incorporates two HF side cabinets for storage.  Work top is 1/4".  I also built a 'receiver' into every corner to accomodate tools (band saw, tubing notcher, etc.) mounted to square stock that can slide in/out when needed.  So far, I'm loving it... laugh

Wood is cheap and easy to build, but not up to a lot of fabrication tasks so you'll want to consider what you're planning to use it for.  Steel is expensive and more work to build, but will probably last forever.

Please post more pics of that bandsaw mount, looks awesome! I just built a steel workbench very similar to yours but not as decked out. I have the same portaband but just clamp it to the vise for work. Fun part of steel is you can always add more later.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/10/20 11:38 a.m.

I like a wooden bench better for some unknown reason. Mine is topped with plywood and a piece of old conveyor belting. It's a "quieter" bench and the belting will last forever. Easy to clean up spills,too.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/20 12:12 p.m.

I use standard kitchen countertop from Home Depot for my workbench. Holds up surprisingly well, and other than battery-acid, nothing has really stained it. Built in backsplash and a round front edge. Mine sits on old kitchen cabinets, so that also helps. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/10/20 12:29 p.m.

Menards has butcher block style countertops for work benches.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/10/20 12:31 p.m.

I have a wood workbench I made 40 plus years ago. I used 4" X 4" legs with 2" X  8" bracing around top and lower on legs. Bench top was made from a solid oak church door which was cut down to eliminate some rot along bottom which was reason door was replaced. Everything is bolted together with 3/8" bolts. Bench is very heavy which makes it ideal for not flexing or moving around under heavy use. Has a very heavy 1950's vise bolted to corner. Only thing I have ever done to it over the years was give it another coat of paint. Was cheap to build and serves the purpose for my use. Used solid core door could also be used for bench top from a building salvage source. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/20 12:32 p.m.
RossD said:

Menards has butcher block style countertops for work benches.

I got one from IKEA's as-is section for maybe $30. 8' long, about 30-36" deep.  Been a good table.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/10/20 12:51 p.m.

I built my workbench 20+ years ago. It has 4x4 posts, 2x6 stringers, a Formica countertop and a 3/4" white melamine shelf. The stringers are connected to the posts with 2x 3/8"x4" lag bolts at each joint. It's stood up to some abuse including having my truck roll into it. I'd really like to add some drawers to it. I'll have to see if I can find some that will fit.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/10/20 1:33 p.m.

I do a lot of metal fabrication, so my workbench gets dirty from grinding/drilling etc.    At my previous location I put shelves above it, but they ended up getting full of grit, so didn't do that the last time.     I'm wondering if having cabinets might be the right answer to keep the contents clean, but then maybe better of having them away from the bench altogether?    

One thing I really liked from my bench is a shelf right under the top, so I could tuck a tool there for easy retrieval when switching from grinder to drill to hammer, etc without having them in the way on top.   And having the cords come out from under there, although I've almost gone all cordless now.

I use the vice to beat on metal, so the less movement the better.  

I was thinking of using the metal racking, but after thinking it though, unless I weld steel, it would have a gap in the top, which is probably a bad idea.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/20 1:35 p.m.

I quit using work benches. They are all now shelves. I bought 2-3 folding tables and use them. When not in use I fold them up and lean them up out of the way.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/20 1:40 p.m.

I did the usual 4x4 posts and 2x4's with plywood on top at my old house. I made that bench 30" deep, which I really liked. My current garage doesn't have enough room as it is, and I'm making do with 18" deep.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/10/20 2:34 p.m.

I built a very large kitchen counter peninsula that doubled as a kitchen table, and it had a relatively huge overhang of 15 inches.   

To make that work, it was made of concrete reinforced with a lot of steel bars (and tiled on top)  Buyers loved that countertop/table.

It was a lot of effort to build.    I am thinking maybe I could build a workbench similiarly with reinforced concrete.   Anyone try that?

I have plenty of space for a workbench in this shop.

J0nesy
J0nesy New Reader
3/10/20 2:54 p.m.

Built a wooden bench out of 2x4's with 3/4" top initially and hated it, but I ended up doing more fabrication it was designed for.  Ended up buying an all steel 6'x4' with 3/8" top from craigslist for a much cheaper than I could build one.

No matter what material you go with, be sure to let the top overhang on the front of the table.  Learned this the hard way with the wooden table, that I needed a ledge to clamp things to.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
3/10/20 3:41 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

The mount is just square tube that fits inside the framing of the bench.  I welded a nut on to use a thumbscrew to tighten the mount in place.

I mounted the bandsaw to a Swag Offroad table, clamped it in place flush with the bench top and welded the square tube mount to the table.

I've got plans to do the same for a tubing notcher and small brake, but haven't had to use them since building the bench, so I've been lagging on getting them done.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
3/10/20 6:45 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

I do a lot of metal fabrication, so my workbench gets dirty from grinding/drilling etc.    At my previous location I put shelves above it, but they ended up getting full of grit, so didn't do that the last time.     I'm wondering if having cabinets might be the right answer to keep the contents clean, but then maybe better of having them away from the bench altogether?    

One thing I really liked from my bench is a shelf right under the top, so I could tuck a tool there for easy retrieval when switching from grinder to drill to hammer, etc without having them in the way on top.   And having the cords come out from under there, although I've almost gone all cordless now.

I use the vice to beat on metal, so the less movement the better.  

I was thinking of using the metal racking, but after thinking it though, unless I weld steel, it would have a gap in the top, which is probably a bad idea.

I also built a small 2 foot by 4 foot work bench that has heavy duty casters with the same construction as workbench in my other post. It is the same height as main bench so can be rolled up next to main bench if needed. However I mainly use it as a workbench I can roll outside when doing a lot of grinding, using chop saw, using miter saw or other messy jobs. I can blow off the grinding grit, metal or wood debris without having the mess inside my shop. Also have a vise on the rolling bench.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/13/20 10:47 a.m.

Surprised there are not more folks wanting to share their workbench.  Should the title be "Don't post pics of your workbench?"  :)

I like the attachment idea, trailer hitch receiver tubing seems a good choice here.

Looking at the fab tables again, and shocked to see $1200 prices.  

My plan at present is to do one from concrete, put lots of holes in it for attachment points.   

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/13/20 11:51 a.m.

Realistically, my garage floor is my workbench most of the time.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
3/13/20 11:55 a.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

Should the title be "Don't post pics of your workbench?"  :)

Yes.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/13/20 5:58 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

I built a very large kitchen counter peninsula that doubled as a kitchen table, and it had a relatively huge overhang of 15 inches.   

To make that work, it was made of concrete reinforced with a lot of steel bars (and tiled on top)  Buyers loved that countertop/table.

It was a lot of effort to build.    I am thinking maybe I could build a workbench similiarly with reinforced concrete.   Anyone try that?

I have plenty of space for a workbench in this shop.

If you're going to be doing any hammering on the bench, concrete is probably not a very good choice.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/14/20 12:12 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I understand what you are saying.  However, when I get frustrated from lack of results pounding on my wood bench flexing, i move to pounding on the concrete floor instead, which always works better if I can get the grip there.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/14/20 9:43 a.m.

I found this video one worth watching (been watching dozens, mostly showing welding metal, like you don't already know how to do that!)

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/14/20 11:22 a.m.

I love Wesley Treat's castor design for his table.

devina
devina Reader
3/16/20 4:48 p.m.

I have one similar to Rodan's wood bench...4x4s in the corners and probably a 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood top with a thin layer of mdf or something on the top.  Got it used from a business that was downsizing and it works great.  Has a shelf on the bottom for storing tools and such.  Bench vice is bolted to the left hand corner and the disc sander is sitting on the far right corner.  This one is probably 6 feet long x 3 feet deep so plenty of space to work and store things out of the way to work...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bJKXoINLlkfnx1r6XOhmiTl5kZ8O9tVjXKyCzm6xOHC1bRMNVSKgQyJYKpKVjHfm