GameboyRMH MegaDork
Nov. 15, 2013 8:16 a.m.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/11/shifting-becomes-variable-for-2015-subaru-wrx/

The CVT will have "simulated shifting" so you can pull a paddle and it will move the cones or whatever witchcraft is in there in a big step that will feel like a gear change. WRX STi and some other high-end variants will be available with a 6-speed H-pattern.

I guess this means all the lower-end Imprezas will be getting the CVT only.

xflowgolf HalfDork
Nov. 15, 2013 8:28 a.m.

I have no problem with this. The proper 6-speed is there for the enthusiasts. The CVT will be better for mpg's and such for the masses. Most paddle shift slush boxes suck anyways, and a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.

T.J. PowerDork
Nov. 15, 2013 8:30 a.m.

The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual.

The author of that post seems to have some comprehension issues, not to mention doesn't know (no?) the difference between do and due.

"...those who prefer to let the transmission due the work..."

The truth about english as a second language?

GameboyRMH MegaDork
Nov. 15, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed

T.J. PowerDork
Nov. 15, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Yeah, but the entire conclusion is also incorrect. Your take away was the CVT only on the lower models, but that is not at all what the source document shows. The article is crap and misleading. It implies that only the STI will have a 6 speed, but the source document shows that a 6 speed is available in all models.

The 'due' vs 'do' is just another symptom of a poor writer (or is that rider?).

davidjs Reader
Nov. 15, 2013 9:32 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual. The author of that post seems to have some comprehension issues, not to mention doesn't know (no?) the difference between do and due. "...those who prefer to let the transmission due the work..." The truth about english as a second language?

Yeah, it appears this replaces the automatic, but doesn't touch the manual.

Tyler H SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2013 9:39 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed

Psh...I prefer to do my own misspellings. Spell check is for the masses.

bgkast HalfDork
Nov. 15, 2013 9:43 a.m.

CVTs with simulated "gears" are a pet peeve of mine. What's the point? The whole idea behind a CVT is the CV part, when auto makers eliminate it all you end up with is a transmission that is the worst of both worlds.

Nov. 15, 2013 9:44 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual.

That's pretty much the Subaru playbook right there. Base gets the manual and not much else. I feel lucky just getting seat heaters and a decent stereo in my manual forester I would love a turbo one with leather and a moon-roof as well.

sachilles SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2013 9:50 a.m.

I think what is overshadowed is the 6 speed manual is now the base manual transmission for the wrx. Unsure what the center and front diffs are based on that. In general, although a little heavier, the 6 speed is a better choice than the 5 speed manual.

nocones SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2013 9:58 a.m.

You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

sachilles SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2013 10:06 a.m.
nocones wrote: You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

So long as you don't force it into third allowing the whole box to flex and tear itself apart....life will be good.

I use a 4.11 5 speed in my hillclimb wrx, but I know it's days are numbered. Can't stand the ratios in the stock wrx box.

Javelin MegaDork
Nov. 15, 2013 10:08 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The article is crap and misleading.

Welcome to just about everything written on TTAC! Honestly, they are just about as bad as jalopnik these days. Hooniverse went way downhill, too.

lastsnare Reader
Nov. 15, 2013 10:09 a.m.

^ the tall gears drive me a little nuts in mine too, extremely frustrating to autocross, so I don't anymore :P
I would totally enjoy a 6 speed in it though, so I'm happy to see that the new one may be offered with 6 gears.
Short gears on something like a 2.5L Forester XT are pretty good, but the 2.0L WRX with 3.90 is just painful at times.

I was going to swap in a 4.11 drivetrain, but decided not to due to length and frustration of a preceding repair (just wanted to get it back on the road and out of the garage :P )

slowride Reader
Nov. 15, 2013 10:11 a.m.

I would totally consider a CVT WRX as a daily driver. I like and appreciate a good manual transmission, just not in the soul-crushing traffic I drive in 90% of the time.

sachilles SuperDork
Nov. 15, 2013 10:11 a.m.
lastsnare wrote: ^ the tall gears drive me a little nuts in mine too, extremely frustrating to autocross, so I don't anymore :P I would totally enjoy a 6 speed in it though, so I'm happy to see that the new one may be offered with 6 gears. Short gears on something like a 2.5L Forester XT are pretty good, but the 2.0L WRX with 3.90 is just painful at times. I was going to swap in a 4.11 drivetrain, but decided not to due to length and frustration of a preceding repair (just wanted to get it back on the road and out of the garage :P )

It is so worth it. I won't do another 3.9 if I can help it. Contemplating a 4.44 box if anything.

lastsnare Reader
Nov. 15, 2013 10:17 a.m.

4.44 would be nice :D
speaking of which, I'm curious what kind of gearing the will put in this new one. I'm sure they've put enough though into it though, so it will hopefully be well chosen.

irish44j UberDork
Nov. 15, 2013 4:07 p.m.

I'm not interested in CVT, but I'm not real concerned with what's on the next WRX. I can't stand the new body style and won't buy one regardless (this from someone who drives the widely-disliked 09 sedan).

I was kind of excited when the new STi was rumored to go back to being a coupe, since I've kind of gotten away from the need for 4 doors at this point.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
Nov. 16, 2013 11:38 a.m.

I don't see how the 09 sedan is widely disliked. It's certainly better than previous WRX cars in terms of power and reliability and they are not meant for track cars either.

I mean that year pretty much started the exploding Subaru sales we see today and I see these cars ALL OVER far more than I ever did WRXs before.

Knurled UberDork
Nov. 16, 2013 11:50 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.

Emphasis on "good".

It's like normal automatics. With a turbo, automatics are very very good when you get the torque converter right. You ride an instant wave of BOOOOST. But when they're bad, they're horrid.

Knurled UberDork
Nov. 16, 2013 11:53 a.m.
nocones wrote: You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

Hah! I can hit 67mph in 3rd if I stretch the gear out a bit but it's faster to hit 4th at about 60ish.

Short gears are fun. I thought shifting was the whole point of wanting a manual trans?

Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
Nov. 16, 2013 11:58 a.m.
bgkast wrote: CVTs with simulated "gears" are a pet peeve of mine. What's the point? The whole idea behind a CVT is the CV part, when auto makers eliminate it all you end up with is a transmission that is the worst of both worlds.

I think it was likely a mode added after people came in complaining their new car didnt shift.

Duke UltimaDork
Nov. 16, 2013 1:07 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
xflowgolf wrote: a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.

Emphasis on "good".

It's like normal automatics. With a turbo, automatics are very very good when you get the torque converter right. You ride an instant wave of BOOOOST. But when they're bad, they're horrid.

And the original WRX with an automatic was horrid. The brand-new 2004 I drove was terrible. By comparison, the 2001 SAAB 9-3 turbo/auto we drove at the same time was really really nice.

oldopelguy Dork
Nov. 16, 2013 1:17 p.m.

The biggest reason for my wife not having a new forester is that I want a manual transmission and she wants a sunroof and until recently the two were mutually exclusive.

The premium trim level is now available with a manual though, which I take as a reflection on how unpopular the cvt must be.

skierd Dork
Nov. 16, 2013 1:35 p.m.

My only concern with a cvt WRX is how much power can it hold? As much as I like shifting, I'm finding not a lot to complain about with my lady's cross trek with cvt. it's a little soft off the line but it scoots for how low powered the motor is since it basically sits at the motors torque peak as you accelerate. Add 14 pounds of boost...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

12 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

22 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

23 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

1 day ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

2 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

2 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
57gVNuw0Wvu4ptHIvUJ5eoWICDUsc19K