1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/13 8:16 a.m.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/11/shifting-becomes-variable-for-2015-subaru-wrx/

The CVT will have "simulated shifting" so you can pull a paddle and it will move the cones or whatever witchcraft is in there in a big step that will feel like a gear change. WRX STi and some other high-end variants will be available with a 6-speed H-pattern.

I guess this means all the lower-end Imprezas will be getting the CVT only.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
11/15/13 8:28 a.m.

I have no problem with this. The proper 6-speed is there for the enthusiasts. The CVT will be better for mpg's and such for the masses. Most paddle shift slush boxes suck anyways, and a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/15/13 8:30 a.m.

The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual.

The author of that post seems to have some comprehension issues, not to mention doesn't know (no?) the difference between do and due.

"...those who prefer to let the transmission due the work..."

The truth about english as a second language?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/13 8:33 a.m.

Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/15/13 8:37 a.m.

Yeah, but the entire conclusion is also incorrect. Your take away was the CVT only on the lower models, but that is not at all what the source document shows. The article is crap and misleading. It implies that only the STI will have a 6 speed, but the source document shows that a 6 speed is available in all models.

The 'due' vs 'do' is just another symptom of a poor writer (or is that rider?).

davidjs
davidjs Reader
11/15/13 9:32 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual. The author of that post seems to have some comprehension issues, not to mention doesn't know (no?) the difference between do and due. "...those who prefer to let the transmission due the work..." The truth about english as a second language?

Yeah, it appears this replaces the automatic, but doesn't touch the manual.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/13 9:39 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed

Psh...I prefer to do my own misspellings. Spell check is for the masses.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/13 9:43 a.m.

CVTs with simulated "gears" are a pet peeve of mine. What's the point? The whole idea behind a CVT is the CV part, when auto makers eliminate it all you end up with is a transmission that is the worst of both worlds.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
11/15/13 9:44 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The linked leaked dealer document says just the opposite. Base model WRX speed manual shift only, but the limited and premuim WRX will have CVT as an available option or a 6 speed. STI only manual.

That's pretty much the Subaru playbook right there. Base gets the manual and not much else. I feel lucky just getting seat heaters and a decent stereo in my manual forester I would love a turbo one with leather and a moon-roof as well.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/15/13 9:50 a.m.

I think what is overshadowed is the 6 speed manual is now the base manual transmission for the wrx. Unsure what the center and front diffs are based on that. In general, although a little heavier, the 6 speed is a better choice than the 5 speed manual.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/13 9:58 a.m.

You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/15/13 10:06 a.m.
nocones wrote: You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

So long as you don't force it into third allowing the whole box to flex and tear itself apart....life will be good.

I use a 4.11 5 speed in my hillclimb wrx, but I know it's days are numbered. Can't stand the ratios in the stock wrx box.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/13 10:08 a.m.
T.J. wrote: The article is crap and misleading.

Welcome to just about everything written on TTAC! Honestly, they are just about as bad as jalopnik these days. Hooniverse went way downhill, too.

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/15/13 10:09 a.m.

^ the tall gears drive me a little nuts in mine too, extremely frustrating to autocross, so I don't anymore :P
I would totally enjoy a 6 speed in it though, so I'm happy to see that the new one may be offered with 6 gears.
Short gears on something like a 2.5L Forester XT are pretty good, but the 2.0L WRX with 3.90 is just painful at times.

I was going to swap in a 4.11 drivetrain, but decided not to due to length and frustration of a preceding repair (just wanted to get it back on the road and out of the garage :P )

slowride
slowride Reader
11/15/13 10:11 a.m.

I would totally consider a CVT WRX as a daily driver. I like and appreciate a good manual transmission, just not in the soul-crushing traffic I drive in 90% of the time.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/15/13 10:11 a.m.
lastsnare wrote: ^ the tall gears drive me a little nuts in mine too, extremely frustrating to autocross, so I don't anymore :P I would totally enjoy a 6 speed in it though, so I'm happy to see that the new one may be offered with 6 gears. Short gears on something like a 2.5L Forester XT are pretty good, but the 2.0L WRX with 3.90 is just painful at times. I was going to swap in a 4.11 drivetrain, but decided not to due to length and frustration of a preceding repair (just wanted to get it back on the road and out of the garage :P )

It is so worth it. I won't do another 3.9 if I can help it. Contemplating a 4.44 box if anything.

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/15/13 10:17 a.m.

4.44 would be nice :D
speaking of which, I'm curious what kind of gearing the will put in this new one. I'm sure they've put enough though into it though, so it will hopefully be well chosen.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/15/13 4:07 p.m.

I'm not interested in CVT, but I'm not real concerned with what's on the next WRX. I can't stand the new body style and won't buy one regardless (this from someone who drives the widely-disliked 09 sedan).

I was kind of excited when the new STi was rumored to go back to being a coupe, since I've kind of gotten away from the need for 4 doors at this point.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/16/13 11:38 a.m.

I don't see how the 09 sedan is widely disliked. It's certainly better than previous WRX cars in terms of power and reliability and they are not meant for track cars either.

I mean that year pretty much started the exploding Subaru sales we see today and I see these cars ALL OVER far more than I ever did WRXs before.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/16/13 11:50 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.

Emphasis on "good".

It's like normal automatics. With a turbo, automatics are very very good when you get the torque converter right. You ride an instant wave of BOOOOST. But when they're bad, they're horrid.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/16/13 11:53 a.m.
nocones wrote: You can pry my WRX 67mph 2nd gear from my cold dead hands!

Hah! I can hit 67mph in 3rd if I stretch the gear out a bit but it's faster to hit 4th at about 60ish.

Short gears are fun. I thought shifting was the whole point of wanting a manual trans?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/16/13 11:58 a.m.
bgkast wrote: CVTs with simulated "gears" are a pet peeve of mine. What's the point? The whole idea behind a CVT is the CV part, when auto makers eliminate it all you end up with is a transmission that is the worst of both worlds.

I think it was likely a mode added after people came in complaining their new car didnt shift.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/16/13 1:07 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
xflowgolf wrote: a good CVT would actually be a riot in constant boost.
Emphasis on "good". It's like normal automatics. With a turbo, automatics are very very good when you get the torque converter right. You ride an instant wave of BOOOOST. But when they're bad, they're horrid.

And the original WRX with an automatic was horrid. The brand-new 2004 I drove was terrible. By comparison, the 2001 SAAB 9-3 turbo/auto we drove at the same time was really really nice.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/16/13 1:17 p.m.

The biggest reason for my wife not having a new forester is that I want a manual transmission and she wants a sunroof and until recently the two were mutually exclusive.

The premium trim level is now available with a manual though, which I take as a reflection on how unpopular the cvt must be.

skierd
skierd Dork
11/16/13 1:35 p.m.

My only concern with a cvt WRX is how much power can it hold? As much as I like shifting, I'm finding not a lot to complain about with my lady's cross trek with cvt. it's a little soft off the line but it scoots for how low powered the motor is since it basically sits at the motors torque peak as you accelerate. Add 14 pounds of boost...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GM3lyTls02WtPA11lHFXZEQbCn0Og6WxGZTNsQTjilK08aAoKapfMJy8igLNw5uK