David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/17/10 3:56 p.m.

I wouldn't exactly call New York a car-friendly town, but during our weekend visit we saw some neat stuff, including several Porsches and a 1955 Chevy Nomad. Notice anything different about this one?

Yeah, JDM for the win. I shot it on Canal Street, not too far from Broadway. Fun trip.

RossD
RossD Dork
11/17/10 3:57 p.m.

Yeah that one has Moolicious printed on the side of it.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
11/17/10 4:03 p.m.

I was going to say, It doesn't look like a Nomad.

David S. Wallens
11/17/10 4:06 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I was going to say, It doesn't look like a Nomad.

No, not a Nomad. The Nomad was sharp. And it was for sale, too: $18k. The RHD Supra looked clean, though. Not sure that would be my ideal car for city driving, however.

David S. Wallens
11/17/10 4:13 p.m.

Oh yeah, also saw an Elise parked near our hotel. And there were driving gloves sitting on the dash. Hmmmm.

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
11/17/10 4:14 p.m.

It says today is your birthday. Did I miss the happy birthday thread?

peter
peter New Reader
11/17/10 4:22 p.m.

You were about 3 blocks from my place, and you didn't stop by for a beer? For shame.

And FYI, that poor Supra driver is likely headed towards the Holland Tunnel, so probably not a city driver, probably from Long Island or NJ. Definitely wouldn't want to drive Canal St in that thing!

Did you stop by Classic Car Club Manhattan? It is maybe four, five blocks from where you took that picture. Lots of cars to drool over.

edit: happy birthday!

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/17/10 4:25 p.m.

I've always wanted to drive through Manhattan in a monster truck and just run over all the little yellow cars/bicycles/people.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/17/10 4:53 p.m.

Driving through Manhattan in my BABE rally car was awesome! NO ONE weaseled their way in front of me, because it was pretty obvious that I didn't give a E36 M3 about the car I was driving. They tried several times, but I wouldn't stop in their little game of chicken.

David S. Wallens
11/17/10 4:54 p.m.

No, didn't go to Classic Car Club Manhattan, but we'll hit it next time. Thanks for the link. When in New York, I let the MTA do the driving.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, too.

nervousdog
nervousdog Reader
11/17/10 5:01 p.m.

I was surprised by the amount of Porsches, Mercedes, and BMWs that were parked on the streets of Manhattan the first time I was there. I even saw a Lamborghini Jalpa in a parking garage.

peter
peter New Reader
11/17/10 5:07 p.m.

I've saw a 356 street parked in the West Village once. Looked like it was a regular street car. I'd figure one snow storm and it would just dissolve into a Porsche shaped puddle.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/17/10 5:23 p.m.

I seen a McLaren F1 parked on the street in Manhattan. Some people are just nuts.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/17/10 5:38 p.m.

Ian sent me a pic of a Mercialogo (sp?) parked on the street on his way to work. Maybe some folks really do have more money than brains.

David, seriously, next time you're in town go to the Palm, stick your hand out to Ian. He'll remember you from $2004. On the Palm photos he's the guy with the teal tie.

Free food just tastes better.

http://www.thepalm.com/Palm-One

Dan

David S. Wallens
11/17/10 5:54 p.m.

And here's the Lotus. This was taken on Broadway between 32nd and 33rd around 1:00 in the morning.

paul
paul Reader
11/17/10 6:33 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: The RHD Supra looked clean, though. Not sure that would be my ideal car for city driving, however.

...and definitely not for heading out of the city (e.g. over toll bridges without EasyPass ;)

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
11/18/10 12:06 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: Driving through Manhattan in my BABE rally car was awesome! NO ONE weaseled their way in front of me, because it was pretty obvious that I didn't give a E36 M3 about the car I was driving. They tried several times, but I wouldn't stop in their little game of chicken.

those pesky pedestrians.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/10 1:21 a.m.

There are alot of interesting cars floating around NY. A few blocks north from there is a doctor with a beige Citroen 2cv. It's amazing how much smoke can come from such a small car.

David S. Wallens wrote: When in New York, I let the MTA do the driving.

Thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iuCuUD9pcoaIXdnc1pqvGtBTLtjewvBW0BS85oVLHQrXYmrPCVC2IXAmXe0ZosEM