1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/18 9:53 a.m.

Old American full size convertible. Not safe at all, but it’s fun and will fit the family. For the weekend drives, it’s fine. Don’t put the kids in there every day. 

I’d also check out some of the large aristocrat class sedans. Q45, LS400, XJ, etc. See if they fit in an M5, or STS-V, etc. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/15/18 9:54 a.m.

Oh, also—Chevy SS, G8 GT or GXP, Charger (if they fit). 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/15/18 10:08 a.m.

Prius V will be exceptional in this application! 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/15/18 10:25 a.m.

Had one baby and my daily driver was an NA Miata.

Wife supportive of me continuing to do motorsports.   Bought an Expedition and next year a trailer.  starting a close to challenge budget build soon that will go on the trailer, unless I find a formula ford for a good price...

Time to get a tow pig and move to cheap (read REPLACABLE) race cars that need not be street comfy.  

Kinda turns it into a win-win, although daily driving the pig is drool. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/18 10:34 a.m.

It’s going to be tough until they have boosters. What about one of the Porsche super suv’s? 

cdowd
cdowd Dork
9/15/18 11:38 a.m.

You could look at a 6 speed Acura TL all wheel drive as well

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/15/18 11:38 a.m.

I'm in a similar boat. Sold my 350Z when the first kid arrived. Terrible decision.  I've got a 2 year old and now a newborn. Currently I've got a Nissan Armada and a old Ford escape. Armada is awesome at moving people and hauling stuff.  Escape kids fit well enough.   I feel like I'm in purgatory with nothing fun to drive.

Pickings are very slim. Especially if you want a manual. Personally  I'm after a  G37 manual. I've test fit rear facing seats already, they will fit. Not great but I can drive with one behind me in semi comfort. (I'm 6'4). Rare. They seem to pop up and immediately  sell. 

Other cars on my list 

Mk7 GTI/Golf R : tight fit short trips only. Mostly a dad car running to and from daycare then used as a driver only car. Large back seat for a small car. 

1st gen CTSV :  kids should fit. Price is right, manual. Getting old, kinda E36 M3ty cars to begin with (engine/trans aside) 

Chevy ss: would be perfect, but expensive, and rare. 

G8 GXP: rare, expensive especially for the quality you get. 

Charger: If you can handle automatics, then you've got choices of various degrees of power and drive to pick from. 

Alternatively, a 3rd car with a backseat like a Camaro SS 1LE or mustang gt track pack for short fun trips hauling the family along should work. no chance for daily. 

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
9/15/18 12:46 p.m.

Chevy Caprice PPV

- A slightly less-attractive, stretched Pontiac GT/Chevy SS with a super utilitarian interior. 
Can be found for around 10k, sometimes as low as 5k at some auctions. 
Find one that was a "detective's car" and you'll more likely get a much cleaner example. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/15/18 9:31 p.m.

Where do you live? The longest 22 seconds of you life can be buckling a child in with 20 degree snow blowing up your back or worse yet rain

Keep the Vette and get a decked out Siena, or like I did go all out with a full sized van.  Adjustable second row with buckets is the best.

How is your wife’s back wrestling kids into their seats is not fun, kneeling in front of them is way more comfortable.  Loading them with the heat or ac running and the doors closed is where its at.  

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
9/15/18 10:27 p.m.

Triplets + 1 here and I vote minivan. Nothing else checked as many boxes for us. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/18 4:22 a.m.
Walletsmallerthanideas said:

First of all, wow thank you for the responses and wisdom!! The more I read from you guys, the less I think the care I have been looking at will work. 

For a little more  information, I have a full size crew can Sierra that definitely can fit stuff as my daily. My wife has a late model Prius v wagon that also swallows a lot of things surprisingly. Also, we live in New Hampshire so corvette/fun car use is only four to five months. 

I could keep the Vette which I love however I don’t know if I would use it that much as I could only go by myself. This the idea behind getting a fun car and being able to drive spiritedly while involving the whole family at times.    

You have a full size crew cab truck. 

You have a prius V.

You have a c6z.

I think you already have it covered.

You'll just have to find one on one time with the c6z.

Driving spiritedly with the whole family sounds romantic. But, twins and a wife post pregnancy; car rides will be hectic and full of inventory checks, noise, stopping to tend to them,  and trying to not wake the babies if they're asleep. 

Wait until they're toddlers to get a family fun car. Plus they'll enjoy the sensations of speed and make you feel like the coolest dad. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/18 4:24 a.m.
akylekoz said:

Where do you live? The longest 22 seconds of you life can be buckling a child in with 20 degree snow blowing up your back or worse yet rain

Keep the Vette and get a decked out Siena, or like I did go all out with a full sized van.  Adjustable second row with buckets is the best.

How is your wife’s back wrestling kids into their seats is not fun, kneeling in front of them is way more comfortable.  Loading them with the heat or ac running and the doors closed is where its at.  

Great idea. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/17/18 6:47 a.m.

You have a crew cab and a Prius. You don't need to do anything. Unless you're looking for an excuse to swap fun cars (and "for the family" is the best excuse EVER) then just hold tight. You don't know if the Corvette will work or not. I understand the need to grab hold of anything you can control and focus on that with so much crazy uncertainty coming in your life, but trust us, what car is your fun car will be way way way down the list in the first couple of years. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/17/18 7:22 a.m.

I sold my E30 M3 when the twins came along, it was a long time in purgatory.  What ever you get will get destroyed by hauling small children so be prepared for that.  If you like to keep your car tidy plan on spending more time (that you won't have) cleaning.  Get some thing nice that you don't really have to care about. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
epDxqIgLtIU3wb6GvbjsQZjK92aGM5bVKvqpbLtfQ6KCGuNAdIBb12WybYSopAIq