AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/19 1:59 p.m.

tell me all i need to know about NiCopp brake lines.   Does this material flare OK with typical manual flare kit?  Is it durable?   How much is required to plumb a complete car?  Whats the best place to buy?  etc etc including anything else you'd care to share about your experience using NiCopp brake lines.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
9/5/19 2:14 p.m.

It is remarkably easy to bend, shape and flare. It is wonderful to work with. It won't kink like steel does so you don't even need tubing benders. Anything round with the right radius will work.

I buy it locally for more money than I can get it through Jegs, but I often lack the foresight to do that. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/19 2:15 p.m.

You would need the same amount of Nicopp to plumb a complete car as you would need in standard steel brake line. 

devil

imgon
imgon HalfDork
9/5/19 2:20 p.m.

I used it to redo all the lines in my car 3 years ago and it was great. Need to be a little careful not to keep re-bending it as it gets a little stiffer each time. We just used a regular flare tool and paid attention to staying centered with the point as it is a little softer. I didn't price shop it, just grabbed 2 -25' rolls from a FLAPS.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/5/19 3:45 p.m.

Nicer to work with than steel any day, and vastly better corrosion resistance.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/5/19 4:18 p.m.

If doing an entire car I buy a roll and make my own line. It flairs just fine as long as your ends are square and de-burred.

You can use a tube bender if you wish, but I tend to form it over whatever cylindrical device I can find that has a radius similar to what I want to achieve; anywhere from sockets to paint cans. The full manual bend method leaves the lines a bit wrinkled for my taste.

To straighten the roll I clamp one end in a vice and unroll the whole length. I clamp the far end in a vicegrip and give it a whack with a sledge and it "snaps" the whole thing straight. Video below gives you an idea of what is involved.

Pete

AngryCorvair
9/11/19 12:34 a.m.

Thanks guys, very helpful and encouraging.  Ordering tomorrow.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/19 6:55 a.m.

That's what I used on SanFord when I converted the brakes to a modern master cylinder. I bought a 25' roll from Amazon and fittings from the FLAPS. I found it to be very easy to work with. It's been under there for a couple of years now without issue. I would give it a A+.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/11/19 8:28 a.m.

Yep, I love nicopp.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
9/11/19 10:00 a.m.

NiCopp is the BOMB Patrick!

I used it on the Cougar after my Dad fought with SS on his Corvette.  Flared beautifully with the turret head flaring tool I use.  I'll echo the statement above that it does work harden.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/11/19 8:04 p.m.
AngryCorvair
9/12/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

Cunifer was the name i had heard in the past, but lately (last few years) all i've heard is Nicopp.  i ordered Nicopp from amazon.   if i have any issues, i'll order Cunifer from fedhill

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/12/19 8:42 p.m.

Fed hill rent kick as tools as well so if you don't have good flare tools their a good place.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8Wk1jTZrrTB9rNizOQ5JMNqAljq1VNB39IjfPyFnnZzOnfruLeKsjyYyKWjmEBzB