1 2 3 4
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:41 a.m.

Well it is CNN, so you don't know what to believe, but is this for real?

Nico quits while on top of the mountain

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 9:45 a.m.

Looks like it, it's all over the racing and non-racing media this morning.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 9:49 a.m.

It's on the Mercedes F1 website, which is a pretty credible source.

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/mercedes-amg-f1/

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
12/2/16 9:55 a.m.

That's a shocker to say the least.

I wonder what kind of other wonderful offer he's got that caused this?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 10:01 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: That's a shocker to say the least. I wonder what kind of other wonderful offer he's got that caused this?

A super-cushy retirement combined with the satisfaction of having won the F1 championship? I'd take it!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:08 a.m.

Yeah. Good for him. Retire young and rich.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
12/2/16 10:13 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH: I would add that beating Hamilton, is pretty rewarding as well.

Keith Tanner
12/2/16 10:32 a.m.

Beating Hamilton on the third try, then leaving before you have to do it again you mean

I can't blame him for it. At this point, the best he can do in racing is not do any worse. Maybe he's fulfilled with one win, maybe he's got something else he wants to do, maybe he just wants to be a dad. We might see him show up in endurance racing in the future, but he's never struck me as quite as much of a petrolhead as some of the other racers.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/2/16 10:50 a.m.

I'm speechless. I've just read his statement on F1.com and can understand his motivation, but wow, racing is literally been his entire life. To walk away just as every door has opened to him is a pretty big step to take.

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/2/16 10:57 a.m.

I'd love to see an endurance team composed of champions from other forms of Racing. Jeff Gordon is already running the 24 in Daytona this year. Mark Weber has done it, too.

Keith Tanner
12/2/16 11:06 a.m.
nderwater wrote: I'm speechless. I've just read his statement on F1.com and can understand his motivation, but wow, racing is literally been his entire life. To walk away just as every door has opened to him is a pretty big step to take.

Those doors have been open for a while. Getting the WDC didn't really change anything in that respect other than his fee for endorsements.

Maybe "racing has literally been his entire life" is the exact reason he's leaving. He's set for life, he can't go any further professionally and now he can live the life he wants. Offer me that deal, you wouldn't see me for dust.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/2/16 11:34 a.m.

Does not compute. Someone is walking away from getting paid many tens of millions of dollars a year to do what many of us would (and do) empty our bank accounts to do for an afternoon.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

If I had to race every week, it would be work, just like any other job. I'd be looking forward to vacations and retirement.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 11:43 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: Does not compute. Someone is walking away from getting paid many tens of millions of dollars a year to do what many of us would (and do) empty our bank accounts to do for an afternoon.

Driving those cars at competitive speed isn't fun, it's hard work and kind of scary. Except to Kimi Raikkonen, he thinks it's fun

Anyway, Nico can do whatever kind of racing he likes in his free time now without having to be on a strict diet and training regimen and travelling all over the place etc. for F1. I suspect he'll pick something without so many complicated buttons and dials

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
12/2/16 11:52 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Rusnak_322: If I had to race every week, it would be work, just like any other job. I'd be looking forward to vacations and retirement.

Not me. I road raced motorcycles for a decade and did 17 weekends one season, that included track days and racing from Michigan to Alabama and Florida, based out of Cleveland Ohio.

BUT - I had to pay for it all. I had to rebuild motors and repair crash damage. I had to load the truck and trailer and drive to the track. I had to set up the pits and change my own tires.

Oh yeah, I also had to do this while working a full time job and part of the season I was taking night school classes.

I also was very in shape, and motorcycles take a bigger toll on the body then a F1 car.

I am old and fat now, but I would get in shape real quick if a F1 team asked me to.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
12/2/16 11:54 a.m.

Classy move, IMO.

Who enjoyed watching Brett Farve or Joe Montana play his last season?

Keith Tanner
12/2/16 12:05 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Rusnak_322: If I had to race every week, it would be work, just like any other job. I'd be looking forward to vacations and retirement.
Not me. I road raced motorcycles for a decade and did 17 weekends one season, that included track days and racing from Michigan to Alabama and Florida, based out of Cleveland Ohio.

Nico had been racing for a decade by the time he was 16. And that was 15 years ago. It's been a slightly longer haul for him.

But now's your chance. There's a seat available at Mercedes.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 12:07 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: That's a shocker to say the least. I wonder what kind of other wonderful offer he's got that caused this?

NASCAR.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/2/16 12:08 p.m.

Rosberg's daughter was born last year, and that changes you. A lot of F1 drivers lose their edge after their first child is born, because subconsciously they now know that there's a lot more riding on their safety than there used to be.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
12/2/16 12:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Nico had been racing for a decade by the time he was 16. And that was 15 years ago. It's been a slightly longer haul for him. But now's your chance. There's a seat available at Mercedes.

I owned a Mercedes once..does that give me an in? It was a POS though..

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
12/2/16 12:11 p.m.

He reached the summit. He could try to stay there, or he could go find another mountain. He has a 15 month old daughter...I'm wondering if fatherhood is the next 'climb' he is focused on.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/2/16 12:15 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:

Not to dismiss your obvious dedication, but that's nothing compared to running F1 even allowing for your work and school. Those guys are amongst the fittest athletes on the planet. Beyond the 21 races there is testing, simulator work, hours in the gym every day. Sponsor, media, team and sport related appearances etc. Not feeling sorry for them, or demeaning your dedication which was way higher than mine ever is/was. But these guys have lived Formula one 24/7/365 since they were six years old.

NOTE. They took Feb 29th off each leap year hence it's not 24/7/365.25

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 12:42 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: But now's your chance. There's a seat available at Mercedes.

Im putting my resume together now.

... Years of experience being paid good money by throngs of people to sit behind the wheel of very expensive turbocharged machines...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/16 12:52 p.m.
Woody wrote:
NASCAR.

Well, if you want to make money as a driver, you probably are better off turning left.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/2/16 12:53 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Not to dismiss your obvious dedication, but that's nothing compared to running F1 even allowing for your work and school. Those guys are amongst the fittest athletes on the planet. Beyond the 21 races there is testing, simulator work, hours in the gym every day. Sponsor, media, team and sport related appearances etc. Not feeling sorry for them, or demeaning your dedication which was way higher than mine ever is/was. But these guys have lived Formula one 24/7/365 since they were six years old. NOTE. They took Feb 29th off each leap year hence it's not 24/7/365.25

Basically they pay you to not have a life.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
45sy6HVBpd51ZqrEMDksbBvrwuMG6RjgzzODM6eBNZqYFMxWfzTpNhB0XyYCTpuA