David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/18 8:19 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Perhaps what was once retro is retro yet again. Back in the late ’80s and early ’90s, Nissan released a string of classically styled small cars for the home market: the Figaro, Pao, S-Cargo, Pao and …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
5/29/18 8:34 p.m.

I'm struggling to recall a car that the S-cargo (escargot? Get it? The car looks like (and performs like) a snail? Eh, nevermind...) would remind one of from a prior time. Perhaps panel wagons of the 50's in America? Even that's kinda  a stretch.

Apart from that one, I really like the other three, the Pao especially. Also, there were surely WAY more than 20,000 Figaros produced. I'm certain Duncan has at LEAST 23,000 in stock haha!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/30/18 9:38 a.m.

I'm all about the Pao. I'd love to own one at some point.

te72
te72 Reader
5/31/18 12:34 a.m.

Ed, I saw one on Japanese Classics' website recently. It wasn't for sale very long, got snatched up pretty quick. Probably the first one I've seen for sale anywhere I look, if I think about it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/31/18 9:27 a.m.
te72 said:

Ed, I saw one on Japanese Classics' website recently. It wasn't for sale very long, got snatched up pretty quick. Probably the first one I've seen for sale anywhere I look, if I think about it.

Check out Duncan Imports--- they have tons of them

Duncan Imports

te72
te72 Reader
6/1/18 12:55 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

Oh, I'm well aware that Duncan has all sorts of cool cars. I try to avoid their website so as to avoid the temptation of looking into the feasibility of owning something I really don't need... yet. =P

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
6/1/18 6:55 a.m.

There's a guy local to me with a Nissan Figaro. Kind of a funky looking little car. 

I was wondering the other day if maybe Nissan is trying to pull off the retro thing with their Frontier in a kind of organic way?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 8:00 a.m.

I have to not go to duncan’s site as well because i want a figaro.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/18 8:16 a.m.
Patrick said:

I have to not go to duncan’s site as well because i want a figaro.  

Definitely do not go there. 

I drove the Lane museum's Figaro at the Mitty. It's not fast but it was fun. 

Tomwas1
Tomwas1 New Reader
6/3/18 6:20 a.m.

Saw a  cute little green Figaro at a North jersey c&c. Cool car. My 80 2+2 ZX would look like a stretch limo next to it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/3/18 2:09 p.m.

There was a dealership in Columbus GA with a small lot full of these. They recently closed. 

I wonder where the cars went...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1I2KrfdLpMWebJxqDgWYYvvQCdDbvkFDMGdbo27ehyBj0CqbTHKcgYlwAS22eme