1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
8/17/12 3:24 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: FWD?On an existing platform? Not a chance, people will see right though this as a cut and paste design that is compromised out of the box. Besides nobody who wants a sports-car will buy FWD.

I'm not so sure about it. GRM's first take on a Nissan Juke ended with this:

Tom HeathThe Juke is built on the same architecture as the more conventional looking Versa, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that somewhere down the line a Nissan engineer will give us the nifty little turbo engine backed by a proper manual transmission in a lower, more autocross-able package. With all of the itty-bitty cars hitting the market, it’s only a matter of time before somebody really puts a product in our segment. The question is which brand will it be?

If the comparison isn't between this and the Frisbee, but between this and the Juke - or pretty much any other small car in the current Nissan lineup - it makes sense to me. Think of it as something out of the same line as the CRX, Charger GLH, Scirocco, new MINI, or Neon SRT-4, and I can see the appeal.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
8/17/12 3:27 p.m.

If they managed to make a CRX-ish hatchback it'd probably do pretty well.

But it would have to be as no compromises no bull E36M3 as the FRS is.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
8/17/12 3:30 p.m.

I've said this 15 times and I know you guys must be sick of hearing this. The day Nissan brings us this car I will be heading over to the dealer and leaving a deposit on a 6-speed orange one.

Based upon the white skid mark from the front tire; I imagine my future 510 will be FWD.......

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/17/12 5:36 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
NOHOME wrote: FWD?On an existing platform? Not a chance, people will see right though this as a cut and paste design that is compromised out of the box. Besides nobody who wants a sports-car will buy FWD.
I'm not so sure about it. GRM's first take on a Nissan Juke ended with this:
Tom HeathThe Juke is built on the same architecture as the more conventional looking Versa, so I’ve got my fingers crossed that somewhere down the line a Nissan engineer will give us the nifty little turbo engine backed by a proper manual transmission in a lower, more autocross-able package. With all of the itty-bitty cars hitting the market, it’s only a matter of time before somebody really puts a product in our segment. The question is which brand will it be?
If the comparison isn't between this and the Frisbee, but between this and the Juke - or pretty much any other small car in the current Nissan lineup - it makes sense to me. Think of it as something out of the same line as the CRX, Charger GLH, Scirocco, new MINI, or Neon SRT-4, and I can see the appeal.

I admit to being a bit old. And not fully rational if you ask my daughter, but, to me, none of the cars on that list qualify as a "Sports Car". They are fun, sporty, (told you I am not rational) small cars with high performance dynamics. Fast toasters if you will; good enough for those that can't dig up a RWD chassis. Good for them.

But they never will be sports cars in my mind if they have FWD. Some car companies "get" this and others never will.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
8/17/12 6:43 p.m.

In the end, it's how many they can sell that matters.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fqY3SYXkCLFAnBspegmKmdqYlU5ZJWoyn59E98uD4axoDLTTapPfCDrfyQ5hBnOh