1 ... 3 4 5 6
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/16/20 4:30 p.m.
JoeyM said:
I hope so.  An aftermarket hood with a bit of center bulge would also be nice....more of that S30 vibe.

I thought they got the s30 hood bulge dead on for a new car. Not sure what they could have done differently.

Also for everybody suggesting a duckbill spoiler, remember those weren't stock with s30s either. Somebody will make an add on spoiler immediately I'm sure.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/16/20 4:40 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600 :

Yes, please. 

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/16/20 5:31 p.m.
mblommel said:
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

Let's just hope it's still $30,000.  

But we all know it won't be. Especially with dealer "market adjustments"

I sure hope not. At $30k it could be a performance bargain.

At $40k, which is where they will price it....

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/20 6:30 p.m.

We have to let go this dream of brand new performance bargains. No one makes money that way. If no money is being made then no fun cars will be produced. crying

With that said between $30k-$40k, I'd buy the newest cayman I can afford first. I won't have a problem with it being near $40k though, that seems about what a decently loaded sedan cost so why not spend the same for a fun one?

I'm hoping this new Z sells well, I really like it and want it to do well. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/16/20 7:08 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
JoeyM said:
I hope so.  An aftermarket hood with a bit of center bulge would also be nice....more of that S30 vibe.

I thought they got the s30 hood bulge dead on for a new car. Not sure what they could have done differently.

You're totally right.  It *is* there.  All I can say is that I didn't see it before.  Maybe the hood bulge is a bit more subtle...perhaps the color was obscuring it a bit.  I'm glad it is there, but still would not mind an aftermarket hood that is a bit more distinct.

Also for everybody suggesting a duckbill spoiler, remember those weren't stock with s30s either. Somebody will make an add on spoiler immediately I'm sure.

Hope so.  I really want to see it sell in numbers that can support a viable line of aftermarket accessories

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/16/20 7:35 p.m.

Just as a point of comparison the:

1970 240z was $3500 or $23.4k in today's money.

1979 280ZX was $13k or $47k in today's money.

1984 300ZX Turbo was $18700 or $47k in today's money.

1990 300ZX n/a was $27k or $54k in today's money.

2003 350Z was $27k or $38k in today's money.

The 240Z was a price anomaly in the line. The 370Z had a low price late in it's run due to being unchanged for so long. $40k+ is where this class of car has normally resided. The difference is no one buys this type of car anymore, they complain and buy another souless crossover. ;)

yupididit
9/16/20 7:49 p.m.
Snrub said:

1979 280ZX was $13k or $47k in today's money.

1984 300ZX Turbo was $18700 or $47k in today's money.

1990 300ZX n/a was $27k or $54k in today's money.

2003 350Z was $27k or $38k in today's money.

The 240Z was a price anomaly in the line. The 370Z had a low price late in it's run due to being unchanged for so long. $40k+ is where this class of car has normally resided. The difference is no one buys this type of car anymore, they complain and buy another souless crossover. ;)

Get out of here with those facts and receipts.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/20 9:10 p.m.
Snrub said:

The 240Z was a price anomaly in the line. 

The 240z was also the smash hit that created the legacy. It was cheap, it looked great, it was reliable, it was reasonably fast, did I mention it was cheap? Every generation Z since then has really built on that phenomenon. 

I have a pretty good job, but I'm not going to spend $40k on one of these (don't be surprised if it's more once it reaches the dealer), and that is why this sort of car will sell in low numbers. The bean counters will say there is no demand. Well no, not at $40k or $50k there isn't. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/16/20 10:18 p.m.

Don't forget the Z, Supra, and RX7 got expensive and sold few.  How many years was there no Z car and Nissan was refurbishing 240Z's at a loss.  

I'm cheap - keep it low and I can buy a toy.  

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/17/20 5:24 a.m.

Some cool renderings already floating around. From Abimelec Designs:" The Nissan Z Proto was revealed last night and its giving a lot to talk about. I personally like it, however the front end is not my favorite. I tried to fix it with 2 different approaches: First one is this yellow, lowered version with a slightly intrusive face surgery, the grille lower section is pulled towards the inside to give it a bit more depth, and shaped more like a trapezoid rather than a rectangle. There’s also a little vent to aid the big empty space and a curvier headlight bezel. Second photo is a modern interpretation of the “G-Nose”, seen on the early Japanese Nissan Fairlady Zs. Let me know your thoughts!"

Jon Sibal also did a rendering of one of these as Chris Forsberg's new race car using the wheels and livery off his 370Z

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/17/20 6:57 a.m.

In reply to mblommel :

If I was a grown-up tuner kid with money, at $40k this seems like the deal between the Civic Type R (slower, not much cheaper) and the Supra (A/T only, $10k more, not a Toyota). 

I was crapping on that price point earlier, but honestly, what other 2-seaters give you that kind of performance for $40k?  That market has been taken by the Mustang/Camaro, which, admittedly, for $40k will still probably be faster around a track than the new Z unless they really go all-in on a good suspension at the base price.

I'd say the best thing for the GRMers is there will be another 400hp, manual transmission sports car out there to buy in 10 year's time (assuming we are not all raptured by then).

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

How in the name of trees did that thing get modeled that quickly?!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
9/17/20 7:50 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

That's not CAD.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/17/20 8:55 a.m.
mblommel said:

The 240z was also the smash hit that created the legacy. It was cheap, it looked great, it was reliable, it was reasonably fast, did I mention it was cheap? Every generation Z since then has really built on that phenomenon. 

I have a pretty good job, but I'm not going to spend $40k on one of these (don't be surprised if it's more once it reaches the dealer), and that is why this sort of car will sell in low numbers. The bean counters will say there is no demand. Well no, not at $40k or $50k there isn't. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. 

Same here. I'd be interested in picking one up gently used if the driving experience and depreciation curve is right.

The counter point is look how many $40k brodozers are out there. That's the normal price for the volume models. $40-50k is not that unusual of a vehicle price.  In 2019, the average new "light vehicle" sale price was $36,800. Back when the boomers were young, but hit their earning years, they bought fun/cool cars on mass. There were tons of other fun, or at least appearance oriented semi-"sporty" cars selling in significant volumes. This was also at a time when the US population was 1/3 less.

And yes, the 240z is a legend for a reason. If this was 1970-73, I'd be running out and buying one, now.

NickD said:

Second photo is a modern interpretation of the “G-Nose”, seen on the early Japanese Nissan Fairlady Zs. Let me know your thoughts!"

That looks great! I imagine a bit larger gap is needed for cooling, but other than that I'd say ship it! I don't understand the trend towards exposing the bumper bars. If it's truly needed for cooling, I'd understand, but I doubt it ever is.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/17/20 8:57 a.m.
JamesMcD said:
Duke said:

In reply to NickD :

That's not CAD.

What is it, then?  Just Photoshop?

9/17/20 8:59 a.m.

speaking of renderings, this one is my favorite to address the "needs a bumper to split the opening for the grill up front and spoiler in the rear"

also te37s help everything. Guaranteed somebody will make these add one of the factory doesn't.

And if history has proven itself to be a good predictor of the future:

yupididit
9/17/20 9:26 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

I like that first one a lot. Better than I like the proto-z but the G-nose not so much. 

I think once these hit the streets people will lower them and throw on a pair of TE37'S to complete the look. That would be the first thing I'd do lol

Error404
Error404 Reader
9/17/20 10:27 a.m.

How high are those doors? I'm not a tall guy, with windows that short they may as well be fixed for all the good they're gonna do me. I know the new car buying public feels safer with tall doors and short windows but I want to be able to hang my arm out the window. 

I like the roof better with color, even if that 2nd "render" is not supposed to be flattering. I might go RPF1, though, rather than TE37.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/17/20 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Dave M (Forum Supporter) :

I think one thing we tend to do on this forum is take the lowest price for a car and lump all models in at that price.  There a plenty of Mustangs well, well over $40k.  You can get some GTs under 40, but a good chunk, at least around here,are between $42k and $50k plus.  You can pick up an Ecoboost below $30k, but it will be a stripper model, and most on the lot are in the mid $30's.  Few people spec them the way we would here, and I don't know about other Ford dealers, but I tried to order one a couple of years ago and they flat out refused.  I bought a BRZ instead.

When I bought my 370Z in 2011, the sticker was $44k.  I did get it for less, but they were not anywhere near $30k at that time, and even now most are much higher than that.  Now mine was pretty load being a Touring Sport, but there was a big difference in terms of how nice it was compared to the cheaper versions.  I imagine the new one will start out in the high $30k range most likely.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/17/20 11:01 a.m.

At first, I didn't like it. It felt like they just "retro-ized" the current Z and added a blacked out 1994 Infiniti Frumpback J30 taillight panel.

After a few days, it is growing on me quite a bit. The biggest issue I have is that the pearl yellow color on the concept is not doing it any favors; it's puke-tastic. After seeing renderings in other colors (especially white), it looks much better. I also think it needs more up front to make it look less blank, and it definitely needs 1000% more ducktail spoiler in the rear. Interior looks like an Altima inside with some extra gauges, and that's fine. It's modern and looks ok. To me, it looks A LOT better than the Supra, even in that gross yellow color.

If I were making the decisions, I'd offer a turbo 4 version as well that makes around 280hp and call it the... wait for it... 280Z. This would match up well with the pony car trio's entry level options, and would give it an edge over the Supra by offering a lower priced trim. They already have an engine in the Q50 that would work with a little tuning. If priced right, it would sell well for them. It would help me forgive them for not bringing out that sweet IDX concept a few years back. Almost.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/17/20 11:09 a.m.

I read they won't be selling the new Z in Europe.  I have to imagine that hurts the overall sales potential for the car. Nissan indicated lack of demand in the segment and emissions regulations are the reason.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/17/20 11:43 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I never thought the weird Chevy truck grille bar would ever make anything look better

I stand corrected.

9/17/20 1:45 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

If I were making the decisions, I'd offer a turbo 4 version as well that makes around 280hp and call it the... wait for it... 280Z. This would match up well with the pony car trio's entry level options, and would give it an edge over the Supra by offering a lower priced trim. They already have an engine in the Q50 that would work with a little tuning. If priced right, it would sell well for them. It would help me forgive them for not bringing out that sweet IDX concept a few years back. Almost.

Eh Zs have always been 6 cylinders so I like they are still doing that.

i agree though they should make a BRZ fighter with a turbo 4 called the S16 Silvia for 30k. Z with 400hp for $40k. 500hp + GTR for 70k +

That line up worked globally for so long but young people and older people are less interested in sports cars than ever. I am glad they are bringing this out but I don't know if they could afford the risk of multiple two seaters.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
9/17/20 2:01 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

At first, I didn't like it. It felt like they just "retro-ized" the current Z and added a blacked out 1994 Infiniti Frumpback J30 taillight panel.

I can see that because it wraps around, but clearly it's a callback to the 300zx rear, which in turn was a modernized 240Z rear.

asphalt_gundam
asphalt_gundam New Reader
9/17/20 2:40 p.m.

I'd like to throw out there that the base 350z was bland as paper plate. What makes them look great? Body kits, wheels, spoilers. What are the chances Nissan is playing to the market that they know will buy, and then immediately start modifying? My instant first impression was "it needs a body kit". And if the great looking renders that are already floating around are any indication, that's a true statement. So is Nissan intentionally building at "bland looking" car with every intention of letting the aftermarket take swings at it. You're getting a manual trans and most likely 400HP for crying out loud. Its guaranteed to handle and all previous sport chassis from Nissan have proven that modifications make it even better. 

For those complaining about weight: remember that the S chassis and later Z chassis are known and very sought after for the robustness of the chassis. Especially in the drift world. And we all know a strong chassis makes a good foundation for performance.

The green house size: I agree but those high door lines that you can't put your arm out the window of is probably more crash test results vs looks. Every new car has stupid high door lines IMO.

I overall like it. I like the new Supra also. Both very much need aftermarket body kits to fit my tastes.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jJcvH1fm7qkj4qAwenUyvUQ464YGdQ7eBsrfwh5AredUZlAZRrEvv0lifc9z8Qfh