1 2 3 ... 5
slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/4/18 8:24 p.m.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mahindra-roxor-indian-jeep-built-212400920.html

My guess is it will be sold as an off-road only fleet vehicle, or a REALLY fancy side-by-side. Base price is $15k.

http://www.roxoroffroad.com/

I told my buddy it is time to start hoarding CJ2A VIN plates....just in case.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/4/18 8:49 p.m.

I read the Jalopnik article earlier last week, I'm astounded/confused that they're using a 2.5l turbo diesel, and only getting 62 horse power out of it? indecision

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
3/4/18 9:01 p.m.

But why not buy an import legal mitsu jeep that is also turbo diesel with Dana diffs and is basically a cj3 instead?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/4/18 9:04 p.m.

The Mahindra looks like a CJ-7 with that door cutout and the curved fenders, not a CJ-2.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/4/18 9:23 p.m.

I like it. Looks like it's designed to go after the UTV market (Artic Cat and Razr). I wish it had a windscreen and a full coverage though. If the after marker goes for it I'm sure the options will show up. 

I kind of want one as a plow vehicle since my driveway is narrow, steep, and tight at the top. The tow load on it is more than enough to trailer wood around the property and grade the driveway. You know UTV stuff.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/4/18 9:38 p.m.

My father-in-law has a newer Mahindra side by side, XTV maybe? It's decked out, full cab, hard doors, windows, aluminum dump bed, winch, etc.  looks neat.  It's Kohler powered, but the engine is about the only thing he's not had issues with.  He's had the thing back at the dealer about as much as he's actually used it. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/4/18 9:44 p.m.

I never knew about those Mitsu Jeeps before.surprise

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/4/18 10:20 p.m.
dxman92 said:

I never knew about those Mitsu Jeeps before.surprise

Yeah, me neither. I've got family with a farm, I wonder how long I could drive one around Atlanta with a "farm vehicle" tag before getting arrested.

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
3/4/18 10:31 p.m.

They have a super interesting history. They started as a CKD in Japan, and then they just licensed the tooling. The last decade or so used mitsu turbo diesels shared with industrial fork lifts. I see them sell at Japanese auction between 2-10k usd before import. Plus check out how 80s turbo bling this one is!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/4/18 11:21 p.m.

I'm astounded/confused that they're using a 2.5l turbo diesel, and only getting 62 horse power out of it?

Yup, and a top speed of only 45 too. It almost seems like a real car that's been derated enough to pass as a UTV.  

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/18 11:40 p.m.

This thing came out of left field. The UTV/SxS market is pretty cut throat. I was surprised to hear that it will be manufactured in Detroit by Mahindra as a complete vehicle rather than a knock down kit. I think Mahindra wants to get a foothold in the US vehicle market after the mess the pickup was. It's probably a lot easier to manufacture an OHV than a passenger vehicle.

I think they are chasing the UTV market with the Roxor. Leaf springs at all 4 corners, solid axles, a PTO and a tow rating of nearly 3.5k lbs won't really compete with the RZR 1000XP. Plus it weighs 3000 lbs.

I found this video where they talk to some Mahindra employees that does a good job explaining the Roxor:

http://www.trucktrend.com/videos/mahindra-roxor-29753/29753/

It won't be road legal but a lot of states let you register and operate UTVs on the streets with minimum requirements.

I think it will sell well if they can get the word out.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/5/18 12:49 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

http://www.duncanimports.com/wholesale-used-inventory/index.htm

Drool factory aside, my reasoning would be that the roxor isn't a 20+ year old vehicle, it's going to be built in the US so it should have better parts availability, and it's not rare or interesting enough to feel bad about beating the hell out of it. As much as I want one of the old TD Pajeros I wouldn't take a 15k one places I would take a 15k utv.

Well there's the engine. I can already see part of why 60 something hp.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/5/18 1:22 a.m.
Vigo said:

I'm astounded/confused that they're using a 2.5l turbo diesel, and only getting 62 horse power out of it?

Yup, and a top speed of only 45 too. It almost seems like a real car that's been derated enough to pass as a UTV.  

http://www.mahindrathar.com/mahindra-thar-models.aspx#!thar-models DING! It doesn't look like it's derated it's just a car from a country that has tiny gutless three wheelers as road legal vehicles. The upside to it is the engine they're using in the US one is apparently common as E36 M3.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/18 4:51 a.m.
ddavidv said:

The Mahindra looks like a CJ-7 with that door cutout and the curved fenders, not a CJ-2.

I was reading about it elsewhere.  Mahindra was building CJs in India since Jeep was building CJs in the US.  It's a lot more closely related to the CJ than the CJ-7.  Or rather, it's a case of diverging evolution from a long ago common ancestor.

Sort of like if you look at a Rover V8 vs. a Series III 3800.  You can tell they are related but the more you look, the more different they are.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/5/18 7:35 a.m.

Having seen the "quality" of Mahindra tractors, I'd avoid this like the plague

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/5/18 8:13 a.m.

I see that the UTV / SxS market is fairly large, but what do people actually use these things for?

Having grown up in rural Maryland in the late '70s / early '80s, it's crazy to think of paying $15,000 for something that is not a truck, and will never be road legal (or even weathertight), when you can just buy a $5,000 beater pickup truck instead.

I mean, in my neck of the woods, there was a fairly standard progression: buy a new(ish) pickup for road use, drive it for 10 years / 200,000 miles, retire it and take the tags off for field use, and dispose of the previous clapped-out field beater.  Repeat as necessary.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/18 8:24 a.m.

Yeah it's a SxS competitor, could be a tough contender against UTVs where offroad capability isn't the top priority and simplicity/toughness is more valuable.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/18 8:34 a.m.
Duke said:

I see that the UTV / SxS market is fairly large, but what do people actually use these things for?

Having grown up in rural Maryland in the late '70s / early '80s, it's crazy to think of paying $15,000 for something that is not a truck, and will never be road legal (or even weathertight), when you can just buy a $5,000 beater pickup truck instead.

These days, most of them are offroad toys (where you'll have a hard time getting that much capability this side of spending 6 digits on an Ultra4 build), some are utility vehicles. They are light on consumables and their small size can be an advantage, so they have that going for them.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/5/18 8:43 a.m.

I've got a feeling a LOT of them will find their way onto the roads using various underhanded tactics. The most common accessory will be a farm truck plate.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/5/18 10:39 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

The curved fender makes it a CJ 5

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
3/5/18 10:55 a.m.

15k will buy the nicest cj, yj, or tj you can find. Those are road legal. They have tops and windshields. Replacement parts are easily available and they have an aftermarket that makes mustang owners jealous. A good used jeep worth 15k today will still be worth something in 5 or 10 years. Besides being new instead of used I don't see where this is better than actual jeep for the same money.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/5/18 11:11 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Remember when you could buy a ‘66-‘77 Bronco or a Scout II for $1,200 for a plow or yard vehicle?

Now they’re $15,000-$30,000

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
3/5/18 11:14 a.m.

And who are these "dealers" who will be signing up to sell these? Do they really think they will sell well enough to support a stand-alone dealership? Seems questionable at best to me.

I think they burned plenty of bridges with past potential dealers over the whole truck debacle.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/5/18 11:16 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Duke :

Remember when you could buy a ‘66-‘77 Bronco or a Scout II for $1,200 for a plow or yard vehicle?

Now they’re $15,000-$30,000

And you just explained why.

Similar to old muscle cars. So many were turned into drag cars and wrecked by teenagers. Now those teens are middle-aged, half money and want ot relive their youth.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
3/5/18 11:20 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

15k will buy the nicest cj, yj, or tj you can find. Those are road legal. They have tops and windshields. Replacement parts are easily available and they have an aftermarket that makes mustang owners jealous. A good used jeep worth 15k today will still be worth something in 5 or 10 years. Besides being new instead of used I don't see where this is better than actual jeep for the same money.

Good point.  Although there are places with ORV trails that plated vehicles are not allowed on.  That's one place these will be good for.  Otherwise, the biggest advantage I can think of is these may have some sort of warranty, although judging from things I've heard about other equipment from Mahindra, the warranty might get a decent amount of usage.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hVHyCn7fcuz17R7YRzbzma4FZLWZQlO3JWzD13AEBWf7Gdt1ii4VwZq3lHctGYMA