1 2 3 4 5
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/8/19 11:00 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

On the radio over the weekend they were saying that they changed the grill slots on the Indian Jeeps imported to the USA so they would not look so "Jeep like" which is one of Jeeps trademarks.....

Well FCA is trying to sue them right now, unless they backed off. But, that’s still weird, because Mahindra pays for the design last time I checked, just like Mitsubishi did. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
1/9/19 8:15 a.m.

I am sure they give good finance terms when you buy a new "Jeep"  

If you buy an old Jeep you may have to come up with real money !

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/19 9:17 a.m.

I would care if they were street legal here. I can get a really nice Mitsubishi j53 or j54 from Paladin trucks that will be a legit flat fender jeep, turbo diesel and manual and be street legal for the same money.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/9/19 9:35 a.m.

I am sure they give good finance terms when you buy a new "Jeep"  

If you buy an old Jeep you may have to come up with real money !

Bingo.  I bet sales of these will live or die by the availability of cheap financing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/9/19 10:56 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

On the radio over the weekend they were saying that they changed the grill slots on the Indian Jeeps imported to the USA so they would not look so "Jeep like" which is one of Jeeps trademarks.....

Well FCA is trying to sue them right now, unless they backed off. But, that’s still weird, because Mahindra pays for the design last time I checked, just like Mitsubishi did. 

I would assume there are some licensing agreements that limit the markets. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/9/19 11:05 a.m.

As for the lawsuits...

FCA has to try to sue.  If they roll over then it sets the precedent that others can infringe as well.  Suing proves that they actively protect their brand even if they don't win.  

However, I think the real suit will come down to who sold what to whom.  I imagine that India did legally enter into an  agreement years ago to produce "old jeeps."  Who was that agreement with?  Willys Overland?  AMC?  

Who did FCA buy the Jeep brand from?  Chrysler?  AMC?  W/O?

I suspect the waters are muddy.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/19 11:27 a.m.

Mahindra has been trying to release something similiar for years, i remember a magazine blurb about them with a small 4 door SUV with a diesel with a MSRP of 6k around 2000.

15k is a bit high for these as they are, without the speed limiter and with about 3 times the power from the engine and its turbo, which is so tiny you gotta wonder why even bother if the output is a whole 60ish hp, though.......?

If it was 180 or more hp, and could be used as an actual car these would sell quite fast for 15k.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/19 12:33 p.m.
John Welsh said:

As for the lawsuits...

FCA has to try to sue.  If they roll over then it sets the precedent that others can infringe as well.  Suing proves that they actively protect their brand even if they don't win.  

However, I think the real suit will come down to who sold what to whom.  I imagine that India did legally enter into an  agreement years ago to produce "old jeeps."  Who was that agreement with?  Willys Overland?  AMC?  

Renault, masquerading as AMC. So my All-Amurican XJ is really French. But it has a seven slot grille, by god.

Keith Tanner
1/9/19 12:35 p.m.
Antihero said:

Mahindra has been trying to release something similiar for years, i remember a magazine blurb about them with a small 4 door SUV with a diesel with a MSRP of 6k around 2000.

15k is a bit high for these as they are, without the speed limiter and with about 3 times the power from the engine and its turbo, which is so tiny you gotta wonder why even bother if the output is a whole 60ish hp, though.......?

If it was 180 or more hp, and could be used as an actual car these would sell quite fast for 15k.

They'd also have to meet a whole bunch of different regulations, which would make them not $15k really really quickly and also make them bigger and heavier. My father in law has a folksy saying about wishing in one hand...

The appropriate use of a turbo doesn't change with output - the whole thing is just scaled down. The turbo allows for a nice fat bottom end from a small, light engine.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/9/19 2:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
John Welsh said:

As for the lawsuits...

Renault, masquerading as AMC. So my All-Amurican XJ is really French. But it has a seven slot grille, by god.

At the time a Brit Roy Lunn was amc chief engineer. And he is the father of the amc eagle.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/9/19 3:50 p.m.
CobraSpdRH said:

And who are these "dealers" who will be signing up to sell these? Do they really think they will sell well enough to support a stand-alone dealership? Seems questionable at best to me.

I think they burned plenty of bridges with past potential dealers over the whole truck debacle.

I've seen them at powersports dealers like you would a slingshot, dirt bike or quad

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/10/19 8:34 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
CobraSpdRH said:

And who are these "dealers" who will be signing up to sell these? Do they really think they will sell well enough to support a stand-alone dealership? Seems questionable at best to me.

I think they burned plenty of bridges with past potential dealers over the whole truck debacle.

I've seen them at powersports dealers like you would a slingshot, dirt bike or quad

Don’t forget there are Mahindra tractor dealers too. Some of them I know were planning on selling them. I know they were planning on making an agricultural version of the Roxor. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/10/19 8:39 p.m.

As for an agricultural version of the Roxor...lets not forget that Gators and even golf carts are a very popular thing to see on a farm/ranch.  The Roxor could be a great addition.  Best of all, the Roxor can run on that cheaper, no road-tax, Agricultural Diesel.  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 5:39 a.m.
John Welsh said:

As for an agricultural version of the Roxor...lets not forget that Gators and even golf carts are a very popular thing to see on a farm/ranch.  The Roxor could be a great addition.  Best of all, the Roxor can run on that cheaper, no road-tax, Agricultural Diesel.  

... after the War, the original CJ was marketed to farmers as a kind of tractor, and had PTO options available for things like trenching.

What goes around, comes around.

(How's that for beating swords into plowshares?)

Keith Tanner
1/11/19 10:28 a.m.

The original Land Rover, which was modeled pretty closely after leftover Jeeps post-war, was even more of a tractor. PTOs front, rear and middle and available in a fairly modular body design. The recently discontinued Defender - a direct descendant that has parts that will interchange with trucks from the 50's - remains a staple of UK farmers to this day. It's an interesting example of divergent evolution from a common starting point.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 10:58 a.m.

Last night I spent more than an hour watching Roxor videos on youtube.  Pretty interesting.  Not exactly cheap as new but I can see where these are going to be really popular as the get older and cheaper.  As such, I don't think they will really get that cheap.  I suspect they will have a pretty rabid cult following.  Furthermore, it is possible that these could get yanked off the US market.  If they do that will make the cult following even more rabid and then the 'rareness" will keep the prices up even higher.  

I can see for the right application that these could be really fun.  One example is markets and communities that allow golf carts and SxS's to be on the roads.  Another example is in some places like Michigan, SxS's are allowed on State Run snowmobile trails but full "Jeeps" and "road vehicles" are not.  This means you can then take the Roxor to places that a CJ2 is not allowed.  

I expect we will see some people towing their $17k Roxor to the off-road park with their $60k Jeep Gladiator.  Its a lot more palatable to bash the rockers and fenders of the $17k than the $60k.  And, when you do dent the fender of the Roxor the side airbags don't activate! 

Keith Tanner
1/11/19 11:20 a.m.

The size of the Roxor means it will go down trails the Gladiator will not. I'm thinking of seeing a UTV climbing Imogene Pass years ago - it looked a lot more comfortable and at home than the WJ Grand Cherokee we were driving. Also, my old Land Rover can go places that modern swollen Jeeps cannot simply because it's the same size as the vehicles that created the trails. And the Roxor won't have Old Car Problems.

There's a market. If I was running an off-road rental company in Moab, I'd buy a truckload of these things.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/19 11:52 a.m.

I suspect somebody will very soon offer aftermarket grills that will be available in both traditional slots and modern "Grrr Im an Angry Jeep!" styles.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/11/19 1:26 p.m.

That traditional grill exists. I watched a video about it. It's 6 slots verses the trademarked 7 slot. It installs with hand tools. I think six 10mm and one Allen wrench fastener. 

The aftermarket grill also included the turn signal option placing them under the headlights ala CJ7 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
1/11/19 2:22 p.m.
logdog said:

I suspect somebody will very soon offer aftermarket grills that will be available in both traditional slots and modern "Grrr Im an Angry Jeep!" styles.

They are already made in India so that's an easy one...... I am sure there are tons of poorly made add ons available in India ,  

I wish some 3rd world country made a version of Mercedes Unimog ,  there were tons of accessories made for them and German quality....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/19 4:53 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:It's an interesting example of divergent evolution from a common starting point.

Kind of like the Rover 3.5l and the Buick 215...  which ended up getting turned into iron, stretched to 300ci, getting two cylinders cut out of the middle and turned into a 225ci oddfire V6, and.... placed in Jeeps.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
2/27/19 5:04 a.m.

I think this is a neat off road toy, if you want a turn key and go vehicle

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/19 3:14 p.m.

Get em while you can... 

Judge rules Mahindra Roxor looks too Jeep-like

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-rules-mahindra-roxor-looks-151300187.html

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
11/28/19 4:01 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Keith Tanner said:
John Welsh said:

As for the lawsuits...

At the time a Brit Roy Lunn was amc chief engineer. And he is the father of the amc eagle.

The original Mini was Greek.  smiley

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/28/19 4:10 p.m.

I know... They can put square headlights on it and call it a PEEJ.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aY13uav6sNFJa8V0Sq9rBu4lxMHltRzbxwEfTDA8QIrKNSRV2CmMCyvP7Up4fDvo