Kamil
Kamil New Reader
6/22/17 5:36 a.m.

Hey all, New to the GRM community. Ive been out in the EU for the last 3 years working and started driving at track days and time attacks. The car I got into is a 2000 Renault Clio sport. I met a bunch of good people and fast drivers. I've been introduced to extreme performance tires at these events, and have been running on them for about a year now.

I wanted to bring some to the USA for auto X, track days, etc. They don't have DOT, they, however, are E1 rated road legal in EU.

Anyone even heard of these tires over in the US? They're made in Germany and are retreads on Bridgestone's so they're affordable. The sidewalls are strengthened and they have really fast compounds. Still, though, my question is, does not having DOT but E1 still bump you into prepared class @ scca events?

Are there any racing classes that don't super-regulate rubber?

Link to the company: Extreme tyres

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/17 5:46 a.m.

Tire regulations are the second item of classic for every sanctioning body, after safety equipment and requirements, which often includes tires within them. Sizing, compounds, tread wear rating and sometimes even sponsor tie in (i don't agree with that last part) come into play when attempting to set an even field for competition within a class.

Kamil
Kamil New Reader
6/22/17 6:02 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Thanks for the input. I never did a circuit track day (non-competitive) in the US. I assume at tracks during these testing/track days, they only regulate the tires for wear and/or slicks permissible or not?

the "OES" racing I've done in Europe give classes according to engine size and only ban full racing slicks.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/17 6:05 a.m.

They could be used for HPDE/lapping but you'd want to see a scrutineer with the sanctioning body about classic if you were to use them in wheel to wheel. I'd suspect that they'd caution against using a retread.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/17 11:56 a.m.

I don't know a lot about road racing class rules, certainly there are some with very specific tire rules (like Spec Miata or Spec Racer Ford or pretty much anything with "spec" in the name), and I suspect there are some with very liberal tire rules (DSR?), so really the question is what classes are you interested in?

Track days they're not likely to care about the tires except from a safety standpoint.

SCCA autox, my understanding is that yes, non-DOT tires will bump you out of Street Prepared into Prepared. Tire rules for Street (formerly stock) are written to disallow even "R compound" DOT tires. There's also a rule in stock (and maybe SP?) that requires that tires be generally available to all competitors.

Kamil
Kamil New Reader
6/23/17 3:57 a.m.
codrus wrote: I don't know a lot about road racing class rules, certainly there are some with very specific tire rules (like Spec Miata or Spec Racer Ford or pretty much anything with "spec" in the name), and I suspect there are some with very liberal tire rules (DSR?), so really the question is what classes are you interested in? Track days they're not likely to care about the tires except from a safety standpoint. SCCA autox, my understanding is that yes, non-DOT tires will bump you out of Street Prepared into Prepared. Tire rules for Street (formerly stock) are written to disallow even "R compound" DOT tires. There's also a rule in stock (and maybe SP?) that requires that tires be generally available to all competitors.

I'm mainly interested in open track days, and solo events like auto X and maybe time attacks if there are any hosted around me. I guess modding my car to prepared class is a bit overkill to just use some affordable fast tires. Still though, mainly gonna be doing open track days for the next 12 months or so.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/23/17 4:36 a.m.

In autocross there are some "race tire" classes (Prepared and Modified) that are essentially "free" as far as the tires are concerned, mainly because the cars are generally not road legal anyway.

From what I've seen, most Time Trial (Time Attack) rules tend to be a mix of Solo (autocross) and General Competition Rules (GCR) requirements regarding classing and safety requirements. It will likely be up to the scrutiny of the particular tech inspector whether or not they'd let a tire they've never seen before in the US run. But if you bring the appropriate EU documentation and probably warn them ahead of time, the tires might be OK.

(this applies to groups running under SCCA rules. I am less familiar with NASA rules)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wKyqCcbqGAu37pHo806bqws2enMQ85lS0kghnG25DyvJr5VEdnmWb2duTneO3g3A