patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/08 9:59 a.m.

i have some bare aluminum parts going onto the vette shortly - mostly consisting of a new intake manifold. i want to keep it looking pretty and clean, but every engine enamel clear i've used in the past yellows with the heat or time - not sure which.

is there a clear paint out there that can withstand the heat of being on an intake and not yellow? my garage isnt exactly the dryest storage place in the world, so any uncoated aluminum parts get the white dots of oxidation on them over the winter and look worse and worse every year.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/08 12:42 p.m.

Maybe you should apply a generous coating of carnauba wax. It'll harden with heat. It's not a permanent solution but it's a decent long-term solution.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/12/08 1:10 p.m.

i've used DupliColor's "High Performance Wheel Coating" spray paint, clear, with good result on SBC intakes.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/08 1:13 p.m.
  • 1 for ACs comment.
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/12/08 2:25 p.m.

You might look and see what Harley uses on their bikes. That stuff does not yellow. It will eventually peel on you, but it won't yellow, and that's sprayed on cylinders, heads, covers, everything aluminum. The Harley dealer will probably have some type of spray can of the stuff available.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dRm6LaFN5pxSpjJ9A9W94loJU9uNTwOM35sUOTmvd1YqW38YzbZpmquSA2X4IqRq