thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
10/31/14 6:06 a.m.

Thanks for the article! I really enjoyed it especially because I was fortunate enough to own one of his old cars. I'm fairly certain that the jackson racing supercharged car he mentioned in the article is the one I had. It was a Mariner blue '90 with a lot of interesting parts and was a bit of a science project. The car was well enough sorted, but there were little evidences of lives past - it had even spent some time carburated. I bought it in Dallas and drove it home to Cincinnati in about a day and had an absolute blast with the car for a year. It was the loosest car I've ever driven - it would slide the front on entry and the tail on exit. I occasionally thought about dialing it in, but realized that it just made the car that much more fun. The low grip, supercharger whine, added torque, and great looks made the thing a smile machine. It could have been a lot faster at the autocross, but I don't know that I could have made it any more fun. It was a perfect test bed for learning about how a sports car should make me feel and it was originally built by the master. So thanks GRM and Mr. Garrett! Now I just need to find something that can even come close to that many smiles/mile with 4 seats...

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
10/31/14 6:08 a.m.

It looks like the pics are being a bit stubborn. Here's a link to the thread from when I sold it with more pics and info about the car:

http://www.miataturbo.net/cars-sale-trade-6/norman-garretts-old-car-8948/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/31/14 8:56 a.m.

I now see the photos--thanks. Glad you enjoyed the article, too. It was neat to see an engineer's take on something that involves emotion.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/14 4:01 p.m.

yep, great article.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/31/14 6:08 p.m.

Interesting article.

did not agree with everything but that is just me.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
10/31/14 8:18 p.m.

Great article and I'm surprised it took so long to come up here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VTRYhjF4tJDJa1xXB2Gk99bjrAuD0dUptZd9Me1lBOVaVYIDQ9LOdwBZVarjJKL7