1 2
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 6:32 p.m.

I could understand if they just crushed the front bumpers...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 6:39 p.m.
Woody wrote: I could understand if they just crushed the front bumpers...

That is too much ugly for the crusher to handle. That's why they stopped at the roofs (rooves?).

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
3/19/16 7:06 p.m.

It could be a tax thing. When I worked for a manufacturer we would buy all sorts of cars tax exempt for testing. They had to be destroyed after some period of time (2 years?). It was pretty gray on what "destroyed" meant so if the car was a model used by the associate race team body parts may have been saved anticipating a crash down the line.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
3/19/16 7:27 p.m.

Do we now have a new refrigerant? Guessing a much less efficient one judging by the size of the grills.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/19/16 7:37 p.m.

Lol. Toyota is preemptively putting parts in the junkyard as a secret way of getting people into cars.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 7:38 p.m.

Canadian Boy Scouts were planning a hike in the Mohave Desert to work towards some merit badges and went looking for donations. Toyota graciously donated a door to each scout so that if they got hot hiking across the desert they could roll down a window.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
3/19/16 8:03 p.m.

Did your buddy ask the JY operator? That's what I would have done....and then this thread would have gone a different way.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
3/19/16 9:27 p.m.

No one has mentioned that the wheels & tires are gone too.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
3/20/16 2:16 a.m.
lrrs wrote: Do we now have a new refrigerant? Guessing a much less efficient one judging by the size of the grills.

75% of the grille is probably closed off.. that fugly grille is there because the styling and marketing people agreed that it looks cool..

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/16 6:19 a.m.
M2Pilot wrote: No one has mentioned that the wheels & tires are gone too.

Is that not normal? I thought it was SOP for junkyards to take wheels off and batteries out before setting in the yard.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/20/16 8:19 a.m.

Toyota does manufacture in the US, Mexico and Canada although I doubt that's their Canadian manufacture sitting in that yard, could be wrong tho. QC is multitudes better than it was 10-20 years ago but some bad stuff could still get through, once assembled they aren't gonna pull a car apart for missing welds, faulty components etc., not worth their while.

Back in the 90's I caught word of 'Dollar Cars', cars as failing QC as said above. Rather than crushing, the company would offer the car to vo-tech schools for a dollar for training purposes only, never to be titled. Word was well connected racers could snag one w/ no title for off road purposes only, kind of a loophole so to say.

I knew some high up people at GM and tried to bag a Camaro and the hot Quad 4 Achieva, no dice. There were some Cavaliers and Saturns too IIRC that got bad antifreeze, they would never release 'em and got crushed... all over bad coolant. Coulda been cheap showroom stock fodder.

Even w/ what QC is today some stuff could still get through... just look at recalls. Could be that's what happened here, caught it and and they nipped it in the bud.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/20/16 1:50 p.m.

All the new unsold cars I scrapped were taken directly to the shredder.

The reduction to basic components was supervised as taxes had not been paid and the motor company needed to sever any possible liability.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/16 2:00 p.m.

Dollar cars are still a thing - we have one at Flyin' Miata. The car was damaged before it was sold, and the rules are that if it gets a certain level of damage it can't be sold by the manufacturer. Ours was RIGHT on the line, and a few hours on a frame machine popped it all straight. Looked like a transportation whoopsie with a rear tie-down. No title and we weren't allowed to sell the engine or transmission. These cars usually go to racers or driving schools.

As for how manufacturers look at things differently - one of the crate engines we got from GM had a light squeaking sound. Kinda sounded like a bad cam bearing, that was the guess. GM paid for labor to pull and replace it and gave us a new engine. The bad one was sent off to scrap. It was intercepted (seriously, what scrap guy is going to destroy a 50-mile LS3?) and it was discovered that the noise was the aluminum rear seal housing rubbing slightly on the crank. It would have self-clearanced soon enough and I suspect that it's not an usual thing for these engines, they're just usually buried under so much sound insulation you never hear it. Still, it was easier for Chevy to replace the engine and throw the old one away than it was to diagnose and fix it. Manufacturers have a very different viewpoint.

Since the flat Toyotas are in Ottawa, Transport Canada has to be involved.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/20/16 2:19 p.m.

Call it mercy killings

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/20/16 2:32 p.m.

Since dollar cars are still a thing lets get the discussion rollin' on that, sure sounds like a GRM-style thing to me.

Imagine the Challnge

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/20/16 4:13 p.m.

Dollar cars are out there. I don't see them within the spirit of the $2000 Challenge, though.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/20/16 7:17 p.m.

Looks like they are grounded to the ground.

Keith Tanner
3/20/16 7:28 p.m.

Dollar cars aren't exactly available to all, they're basically a sponsorship deal. Very much not in the spirit of the challenge.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
3/20/16 11:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Were there any repercussions for the scrap guy, or did GM not find out?

I would imagine GM has a set of trusted scrappers for just this reason.

Keith Tanner
3/20/16 11:31 p.m.

It was left to the dealership to dispose of it. From what I know, it sat around the dealership for some time (over a year at least) before it was sent out. I don't know what the rules are once it leaves the dealership. This was an engine replaced under warranty, not a part that was not legal for sale like a damaged dollar car.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/21/16 7:18 a.m.

Going by the way they have plastic wrap on the hoods, I'm guessing shipping accident of some sort.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/21/16 9:17 a.m.

Can we buy some?! I see go kart/ghettocet written all over that.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
3/21/16 9:37 a.m.

I can see removing the doors to make it easier to crush. Pull the doors, crush roof with excavator enough to render unusable, go on to next.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/16 10:36 a.m.

40 is a good start, but how do we take care of the rest?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zwb7iJFGDHBqPj5ijwXqLwhEtVJBAIm0GMU1anOndpPOItpO7X2wOEcUDF8n5E31