btp76
btp76 Reader
9/12/14 8:32 p.m.

I'm making my first foray into OBD2 performance by building an LS1 fc RX7. My initial research leads me to believe the OE oil pressure and temp gauge are not all that accurate. To make the speedo work requires either a signal converter or an Acura gauge swap. This seems lie a good time for a digital dash display run off of the OBD2 port.

So far it looks like my options are:

1. Expensive and do more than I want. $700+ Racepak and other data loggers.

2. Cheap ebay crap. $49 head up displays that can't possibly be any good.

3. Torque app and a smartphone or tablet.

4. Garmin has optional dash displays built into some of their GPS units, but I'd hate to have to set it every time.

I'd like something I could permanently mount in place of the factory gauges that would work without having to set it up every time I start the car. I'm imagining something like Racepak lite with no data logging and just a display at a sub $500 price point. Does such a thing exist?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/12/14 8:36 p.m.

My Scanguage 2 is on my dash giving me speed, rpm, water temp and volts in simple digital readout off the obd2 port.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/14 6:53 p.m.

scanguage or ultraguage

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/13/14 7:22 p.m.

With more and more of these kinds of swaps being done, I suspect that there is a business opportunity for someone with the right skills......I'd like a large analog tach, a smallish digital speedo and small bar graphs for temperature, oil pressure, fuel and stuff like that. Programmable warning lights would be nice too.

btp76
btp76 Reader
9/13/14 8:10 p.m.

This is exactly what I'm picturing, but it's roughly 10x the price of a scangauge II. I want this display without data logging. So far as I can tell nothing similar exists.

btp76
btp76 Reader
9/13/14 8:59 p.m.

This is a 4.5" display aimed at the diesel market. About $400.

http://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cts-83830/

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/14/14 8:29 a.m.

What about a cheap android tablet running Torque?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/15/14 7:37 a.m.

If you do it properly, you won't need to "set it up" everytime if you use Torque on a tablet. You can configure the tablet to power on/off with the key and start the torque app automatically.

Here's an example of how someone configured a Nexus 7 to auto power on/off: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2103183

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
9/16/14 8:06 a.m.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
9/16/14 10:32 a.m.
turboswede wrote: If you do it properly, you won't need to "set it up" everytime if you use Torque on a tablet. You can configure the tablet to power on/off with the key and start the torque app automatically. Here's an example of how someone configured a Nexus 7 to auto power on/off: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2103183

This is my vote.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
8/27/17 5:37 p.m.

Anyone have new stuff to add to this thread? I'm getting tuned up to do one of these setups on my trophy truck (lm7tt power). I was googling around to find solutions and stumbled upon this.

I guess what I'm asking is.. if you were building an ls powered toyota truck with some turbos and you wanted a tablet dash (and to manage said ls and dash) what's the grassroots but hot setup?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
itYLwEAdPdGxxidzJrjmX8D37rxd4RuwjWnHotrx1tKSiDBFAogvWrTkqIreaRhX