foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/16/08 6:10 a.m.

I posted this over on the MP3 web site, but maybe some of you guys can help me out as well on this.

Freely admitted, I don't live and breath this stuff. I've been getting by with an older hand-held scanner for years. But I'd really like to go ahead and get into something good with a laptop PC. And that's where I get baffled.

ELM 323, ELM 327, TRICOM, TRICAM, MobyDick. There are probably a few others. Darned if I can really understand the differences to know how to select. Google searching gives everything but a clear understanding of the differences and advantages of one over the other. And yes, I've been searching this forum as well. If there's a generic 101 post, I've not found it.

Then there's the software, that's just about as confusing. Alex Pepers stuff, Digimoto, OBDPROs, etc. I just can't figure out who's does what, especially with regards to advanced features, particularly manufacturers codes. Alex Pepers is expensive and appears to maybe have manufacturers specific codes, but as cryptic as his web page is, god only knows if I would understand his software. OBDPRO is on this board a lot and has lots of recommendations for his hand holding. That counts for a lot. But is it just generic OBD-II codes?

I want/need to do a multitude of vehicles. Mine and friends vehicles, as well the changing cars in the future. From the 97 Toyoto to the 06 GM, and anything else in between.

If you guys can point me to a good clear web page explaining the differences, or some words of your own, I'd sure appreciate it. Because I find myself overwhelmed and confused. So I keep on hiding behind my old hand-held scanner.

I'd also love to be able to do the various manufacturers tests via the OBD-II port. But that may be too much. Darned if I'm plunking several grand down on the Toyota scanner for example, just to test run my fuel pump. But if someones cable/software whatever let me do that for just a few hundred dollars, I'd be most interested.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Stz1Hv6HrwrkXUIa6s8q3YOvNJagZVbBpdMtiBLQgkrkVrNtWokQ3hjqr6ZCD4Zr