Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/24/11 8:57 p.m.

Turns out this new fangled car I own is OBD2 compliant, has a "service engine soon" light on it, and none of my 3 toolboxes has anything better than some electrical tape to turn that light off.
Sooo, 2004 Ford Explorer, 4.0 V6 Flex Fuel...what OBD2 scan tool should i buy?
Resources:
1 laptop,usb 2.0 yes, serial/bluetooth no
1 Wheelbarrow
1 iPhone

I am computer literate, decent with the iPhone and have used Laptop+software+expensive cable Scantool setups in the past, but there must be something bitchin'er out by now, right?

I would have searched the forum,but I have to use google for that, then I would have found the information on some other forum and couldn't have used the word bitchin'er tonight.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
8/24/11 9:23 p.m.

Use your local fast food auto parts chain and their scanner for FREE!

Given it is a Ford, you probably have an O2, catalyst efficiency, or the ever popular EGR code. The EGR code will probably be an insufficient flow code. That means the DPFE and/or hoses are FUBAR'd. Do not get an EGR valve because it won't fix it.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/24/11 9:38 p.m.

with two 1987 BMW's I am on a first name basis with the local autoparts guys. I figured since this is a ford with 115K miles, that light it going to be coming on often and owning the tool would let really diagnose it better, plus...NEW TOOL. I am 99% sure its the PCV valve plus the EGR pressure sensor...but I want a good tool to know what is going on.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/11 10:09 p.m.

IIRC you can get ODB2 bluetooth adapters and use those from the iPhone. No idea how good they are, but they should do for reading codes and resetting them.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
8/24/11 10:12 p.m.

I have the Ebay OBDII bluetooth adapter and run Torque on my android phone.

Its certainly as good as the $200 Actron scanners. Not as good as a Snap-On but it doesnt cost as much either.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/24/11 10:26 p.m.

I like the idea of bluetooth plus iPhone app, anyone have any preferences on the apple side for apps?

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/25/11 4:03 p.m.

So I did some searching outside GRM and found Rev Iphone App but 40 bucks for software PLUS an adapter makes little sense to me.

What say the masses? best iphone app for OBDII reading?

paul
paul Reader
8/25/11 5:15 p.m.

I really liked my scantool II....

displays quite a few realtime engine parameters too.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/26/11 1:21 p.m.

Do you have a link for that scan tool II, google is having trouble.

paul
paul Reader
8/26/11 3:02 p.m.

Sorry, forgot the correct name, it's actually Scangauge II:

http://www.scangauge.com/

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
8/26/11 4:13 p.m.

Thanks!

marks93cobra
marks93cobra New Reader
8/26/11 4:48 p.m.