1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 8:01 a.m.

funny.. I have only ever seen one Alfetta sedan on the street... and it was WAY beat. More likely to still see the occasion GTV6 and Milanos. the 164s have all disappeared

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/10 8:12 a.m.
1slowcrx wrote: The alfa has soul... But I'll finish the race in my e36 while you're in the pits broken...... /thread

Signed,

E36 M3 oil pump nut.

mad_machine
2/18/10 8:48 a.m.

it's funny that italian cars have that reputation... most of their gremlins are electrical in nature.. and usually caused by bad grounds. Clean up the grounds and they are pretty reliable

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/10 9:06 a.m.

I DD my GTV6 for @ 5 years before a and it only ever didn't work once, the fuse for the FI blew. Other than that it was an awsome car even considering it was over 20 years old when I got it. Mine was an 81 and had the 4:10 gears in it and it would pull hard all the way to the rev limiter, I have never been in a car that acted like that before. For the first couple of months I had it I would hit it all the time, and with the sweet noise it made I really didn't mind it much at all.

Is it a "better" can the the M3, no, but it pushed all the right buttons for me and one of these days I will get mine back on the road, or pick up another one.

I really should not have gotten it, I was still in school, didn't have much money but it was red, Italian, sounded like sex and I had been wanting one since my Dad took me to the 83 Frankfurt Auto show. In my mind you only live once and there will be plenty of time later to go with the "logical" choice, take the "heart" route while you can.

mad_machine
2/18/10 9:07 a.m.

I drove my fiat spider all through college.. I commuted back and forth too... very few issues. Aside from rust from salting the roads

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/10 9:22 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Mine was an 81 and had the 4:10 gears in it and it would pull hard all the way to the rev limiter, I have never been in a car that acted like that before. For the first couple of months I had it I would hit it all the time, and with the sweet noise it made I really didn't mind it much at all.

That is exactly how I am with my Milano.

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/18/10 9:42 a.m.

Alfa, hands down. But then again I know nothing.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
2/18/10 10:05 a.m.

Alfa. The BMW is just... well German.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg New Reader
2/18/10 10:15 a.m.

I'm a little surprised that nobody here has said "Miata," yet.

Thanks, GRM'ers, for completely rationalizing my Alfa lust. I would expect that, of course, from the AlfaBB, but getting the same answers over here....

As for Milanos, I have liked them ever since GRM did a piece on them. I still like them. I liked them more than the GTV6, esp. in Verde 3.0 form, until I had a chance to drive a GTV6. Pure sex, even with the silly Alfa tack-ons to Guigiaro's original, clean design. It's really quite beautiful, which I can't say about the Milano. The Milano can be a "cool" looking car, and definitely "unique," or "polarizing." I like it, but beautiful? No.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
2/18/10 10:20 a.m.

Are you planning on driving this car daily including the winter? B/c if you are I would say E36 M3 but if you are only driving during the winter go with the Alfa.

mad_machine
2/18/10 10:21 a.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote: I'm a little surprised that nobody here has said "Miata," yet. Thanks, GRM'ers, for completely rationalizing my Alfa lust. I would expect that, of course, from the AlfaBB, but getting the same answers over here.... As for Milanos, I have liked them ever since GRM did a piece on them. I still like them. I liked them more than the GTV6, esp. in Verde 3.0 form, until I had a chance to drive a GTV6. Pure sex, even with the silly Alfa tack-ons to Guigiaro's original, clean design. It's really quite beautiful, which I can't say about the Milano. The Milano can be a "cool" looking car, and definitely "unique," or "polarizing." I like it, but beautiful? No.

yes.. the best combo was mentioned earlier.. GTV6 with the Milano Drivetrain. Of course I would want to add the bigger engine from the 164

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg New Reader
2/18/10 10:29 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Are you planning on driving this car daily including the winter? B/c if you are I would say E36 M3 but if you are only driving during the winter go with the Alfa.

I don't plan to get rid of my present car, and as it is, I ride my bicycle to work as much as possible. Problem is the Contour will turn into the teen driver loaner car before too long.

Carson
Carson Dork
2/18/10 10:30 a.m.

I saw this in the parking lot at the junkyard recently. I have nothing really to add other than that.

mad_machine
2/18/10 10:50 a.m.

one of the prettiest cars built.. when I buy an alfa.. that will be the one

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/10 2:33 p.m.
Carson wrote: I saw this in the parking lot at the junkyard recently. I have nothing really to add other than that.

Now that I've wet my pants, I'm going to suggest the Alfa. This is simply an issue of loving what the car can do (M3) vs. loving the car itself (GTV6). Alfas have that certain 'je ne sais quoi' that make them breathtaking drivers. Get behind the wheel of both and you'll be immediately placed in one camp or the other.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/18/10 2:35 p.m.
Carson wrote: I saw this in the parking lot at the junkyard recently. I have nothing really to add other than that.

I may have made a mess.

A GTV6 on RS2s. Thank you, there is a god.

Carson
Carson Dork
2/18/10 2:40 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

On fairly wide Team Dynamics.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/18/10 2:44 p.m.
Carson wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: On fairly wide Team Dynamics.

Yeah... but as always... needs to be wider!!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LfmIdA9DOyhLUr2bx5H2OGUG93JaBJ1XlrwBhuSDTZRjWHi4JDkpsqZQM5cuX6M9