_
_ Reader
9/14/18 9:25 p.m.

I got a nice leak from this. Factory manual says to remove the coolant lines (drain coolant), and remove oil filter (drain oil). If I remove the intake manifold brace, could I just remove the oil filter, not drain the the oil, and leave the coolant lines attached? 

Next question- will a Miata oil filter gasket suffice as the o-ring for the oil cooler?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/18 10:01 p.m.

It's a different o-ring. i don't have access right now, but I know we have the part number for it. It's fairly big.

Pulling the cooler is going to be just like pulling the filter. I don't think you'll get completely drenched in oil, but you'll have to deal with some.

_
_ Reader
9/14/18 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Thanks Keith. I was wondering why They’d have you drain the coolant and oil... I’ll order (from you guys!) the o ring. 

Keith Tanner
9/15/18 8:18 a.m.

No need to get it from us, I’m not sure we list it separately. We us it as part of an oil cooler kit, but any Mazda supplier should be able to source it. 

_
_ Reader
9/15/18 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You’ve got it listed, albeit, 13$ plus shipping. Rockauto is 8$ with shipping. Granted, that is “mahle” brand and not oem Mazda. 

Keith Tanner
9/15/18 10:36 p.m.

Buy more stuff, get free shipping!

We can't compete with Rock Auto on price. But we do know more about the cars, so we can help you buy the right parts the first time!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/16/18 9:51 p.m.

Draining the oil isn't necessary (won't make any difference to the mess), but there's no reason to put a used oil filter back on the car, and if you're changing that you might as well do the oil too. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TV1wlfYmeVTFENF30R2V3kuZRFSO0vBLKPgEIybXS0exm3ckZ2mX2bhcn7RbkP8q