Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/6/16 2:40 p.m.

The Miata is one of “those” cars: models with such a huge enthusiast following that every single variation has been built by now. Fast Miatas. Slow Miatas. Track Miatas. Low Miatas. Like the BMW M3, Ford Mustang and Chevy pickup, Mazda’s Miata is a blank canvas for wrench wielders to customize.

Never like this, though. This Miata, built by Paco …

Read the rest of the story

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/6/16 2:51 p.m.

I really like it. Even with the BFTs...

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/6/16 3:52 p.m.

It was certainly a sight to see on the skidpad.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/6/16 4:15 p.m.

"Long Travel Miata" is something I never thought I would say.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/6/16 5:10 p.m.

That much awesomeness in one vehicle.

Thanks for the reminder, Paco needs to bring that beast out for our next autocross. Have to put it the same class with stadium trucks.......

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
9/6/16 6:44 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: The Miata is one of “those” cars: models with such a huge enthusiast following that every single variation has been built by now. Fast Miatas. Slow Miatas. Track Miatas. Low Miatas. Like the BMW M3, Ford Mustang and Chevy pickup, Mazda’s Miata is a blank canvas for wrench wielders to customize. Never like this, though. This Miata, built by Paco Motorsports of Georgetown, Kentucky, sports an 8-inch long-arm suspension lift. That’s the same sort of hardware usually reserved for desert racing buggies.

Wait. I live in Kentucky. And I have a miata. Hmmmmmmmm

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/7/16 7:28 a.m.

You can pre-order the kit by calling Mark, or order some of the other products he offers on his website.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/12/16 11:06 a.m.
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/16 12:27 p.m.

Watching that video makes it hard not believe that Miata is really an R/C car. For all the world it looks like a Tamiya truck that someone swapped a Mazda shell on.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
9/12/16 9:45 p.m.

The way those air bags are mounted and the angle on the tie rods are both scary. Are those doubled-up coil springs rubbing together?

This kit looks, at best, unfinished.

mxseven
mxseven New Reader
9/13/16 11:31 a.m.

Air bags and doubled shocks are gone, in favor of AFCO custom coilovers. Car has been airborne multiple times with hard landings and no difference in alignment or damage to the tie rods. People will SURELY break stuff however, and this kit is NOT for the faint of heart, or for the careless.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/16 11:57 a.m.

In reply to mxseven:

There should be a warning/disclaimer in the instructions: "If at any point after the completion of the kit you feel the need to say 'Hold my beer & watch THIS!' please park the car, get out, and turn off the camera."

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/13/16 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar:

To be fair on the tie rods, it looks to be at or near full droop in the shot.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
9/13/16 6:32 p.m.

Curious what the price will be. I mean it's cool having an off road Miata, but is it better or cheaper than a used XJ Cherokee, a Wrangler, or K5 Blazer?

The simple 3 inch lift kit makes a lot more sense.

mxseven
mxseven New Reader
9/15/16 8:00 a.m.

Pricing is on the website. www.pacomotorsports.com

The Offroadster is not trying to be a Jeep of any kind, and will likely never be 4 wheel drive. You don't build an offroad Miata because it's the most capable or economical offroad vehicle. If you have to justify it in those terms, it's probably just not the vehicle for you.

IF, however, you want to have a ton of hooligan fun and never go unnoticed on the street, it's pretty hard to beat for that!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MuzdR5v2pldd2X2pSbxHpVHxwv9raUPE5SqXkQDcZyGSOkUOZ9jha9STYETGFplf