nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
10/20/10 10:50 a.m.

I'm heading out of town Friday for an autocross event. Of course, I waited until last night to inspect my Miata and noticed that my front brake pads are warn down almost to the backing plates - d'oh! I need to get pads immediately to have time to install and bed them in time.

The local speed shops don't have anything in stock worth nothing, so that pretty much limits me to what's available at Advance, Auto Zone, Napa, O'Reilly, Parts Quest and Pep Boys. I've called them all and while they can order specialty pads, all they have in stock are the usual house brand organic, semi-metallic or carbon ceramic pads and a few pricey 'long life' name grand options.

I've been looking all morning and trying to find good info on brake pads online is like trying to find good info on oil - lots of "I heard that" and "my mechanic said" anecdotes and some obvious misinformation ("ceramic eats rotors, yo!") and little else.

OE semi-metallic pads for my '99 Miata are $90 at the dealer, while generic semi-metallic pads start from $20 and ceramics start at $35. I plan to order a full set of Hawk HPS pads to install before next season, but do you guys have any recommendations as to what I should install tonight?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/20/10 10:57 a.m.

Tirerack will get you Hawk HPS or HP+ in one day if you live anywhere close to one of their warehouses.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
10/20/10 11:13 a.m.

not sure what exactly they are compound-wise but our challenge jeep XJ-R has 30k mile old cast off autozone duralast gold stock pads and they feel pretty good for cheap in a hurry.

but i like GPS's recommendation of waiting one day and doing it just once and doing it right if you can.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Reader
10/20/10 11:28 a.m.

I've found that PBR Metal Masters are a great,cheap track pad. Not a lot of bite cold, but plenty grippy after a couple of stops.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
10/20/10 11:34 a.m.

Any of those mid-level store brand metallic pads will be dusty but fine.

Stay away from the ceramics as they tend to sacrifice bite and overall heat capacity for low dust.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
10/20/10 11:40 a.m.

the autozone duralast golds have done me well in the past on my f150, and bite well once they have a bit of heat. AZ also carries performance friction pads for a lot of applications as well...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/10 12:49 p.m.

I've had good luck with Carquest gold. They say Akebono Pro-Act right on the box! Good for auto cross/ DD, not likely a track day pad. If your local store doesn't have them, ask them to use the locator. I had to drive 25 miles, but better than waiting a day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1kkn6pKRpDLzctb2v3OstnqZ7ZPyjw1K8CgEXWzLAIa93LKpngP22z4wP6mbN7dv