1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/20/14 8:59 p.m.

And you can get a Rav 4 with the swap

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
12/21/14 12:41 a.m.

I had never heard about the Gen4 either; seems like a pretty amazing kit! Especially when someone else paid for it!

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/14 7:06 a.m.

I saw your post on facebook and immediately went to check out their site. I'm glad to see you bought that MR-2. Looks like they do swaps into spyders too based on the pics? Good/bad thing they are in NJ. Gives me time to contemplate my next move from the M5 in a few years. Thank you for making me aware of this shop!

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/22/14 4:17 p.m.

Very nice! I hadn't heard about the Gen4 variant of the 3S-GTE. Sounds like a wicked upgrade.

Note to gunner: the Spyder paragraph states it is a custom-fab install, not just an engine swap

sanman
sanman HalfDork
12/22/14 5:22 p.m.

Nice pickup JG, I was actually watching that car and wondering if I should trade in my car for it with cash. It was pretty clean. At the end of the day, I will spend more building mine, but I am a starting with a 91 slick top that is pretty clean and completely stock with two previous owners.

ihayes
ihayes New Reader
12/22/14 6:48 p.m.

Wish it was emissions legal here in CA. I've always liked that gen mr2.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
12/22/14 8:32 p.m.

So, is it staying ad is or will you be changing some things?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/22/14 9:10 p.m.
sanman wrote: So, is it staying ad is or will you be changing some things?

Plan now is to just fix the weak links (paint, get the a/c working) and drive it. If i do anything to it performance wise it'll be minor. Maybe a downpipe or something. Really I'm just looking for a fun, reliable daily for when the volt goes away in a few months. I'll enjoy having no payments until the new Volts come out at the end of the year, then reassess and decide whether it's worth it to jump back in.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/23/14 11:28 a.m.

It is a good looking car and a much more comfortable cruiser than the AW11. The fact that it has a larger rear trunk and usable space behind the seats adds to the practicality. The gen 3 3SGTE was a huge step up from the gen 2. The intake design made servicing much easier. Making the leap from the 70's technology on the gen 2's by ditching the AFM was also a huge step forward. Not easy to find a good example these days.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
12/23/14 12:18 p.m.

Wow - I never heard of this Gen4 stuff and I used to be really into MR2's. Definitely something to look into.

I assume from all the good things here and on the link you posted that this is a much better idea than the Camry V-6 swap you used to see on a lot of SW20's?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/14 12:35 p.m.

I imported a Gen3 3SGTE and it put down 292whp, while rated at 'only' 245ps. They are significantly underrated. Gen4 is the final revision of the 3SGTE, incorporating advances in engine management and a more efficient turbine/integrated manifold.

It never came in an MR2. Caldina and other JDM-only stuff, IIRC.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
12/23/14 1:44 p.m.

That shop's website says a turbo swap can get one to ~300wHP (I'm assuming with other supporting mods), and I think it was a 15G or 15C or something not too huge, so response should still be good.

This is mighty tempting. I need to get my 240SX running again so i can decide whether to keep it or sell for S2k/Exocet kit/now this

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/23/14 1:47 p.m.

I'd honestly be surprised if you couldn't hit 300whp and beyond with the stock turbo. Hux Racing was doing 330-340whp out of Gen4 motors years ago with a big intake, downpipe/exhaust, intercooler upgrade, and a boost controller.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
12/23/14 2:53 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: So, pardon my ignorance, but what is the Gen4 engine? What car is it taken from?
http://www.primemr2.com/gen4-3sgte.html

Here I was lamenting that I really still prefer MK1 cars (on my 2nd so far) then I read farther down that page to the options for 85-89 MR2's.

evildky
evildky Dork
12/23/14 3:01 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: So, pardon my ignorance, but what is the Gen4 engine? What car is it taken from?
http://www.primemr2.com/gen4-3sgte.html
Here I was lamenting that I really still prefer MK1 cars (on my 2nd so far) then I read farther down that page to the options for 85-89 MR2's.

Having done the 3SGTE swap into an AW11 I do NOT recommend it. The engine sits too far back, it barely fits once in level, you still have a driveshaft angle, the rear weight bias makes for a challenging drive at the limit. I wouldn't do it again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tuIqHwE3jEHZHS0hZhnOy3wlSLlRKW2A17LCJE3qmGFyUaJ7aFnLSBwck2ANE7si