Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 24, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Even though I know I'm in the doghouse for waking up the entire county at 9AM this morning (to drive the open-exhaust Javelin to the exhaust shop), it now has mufflers and drives oooooh so nice! I've been cruising it all over the pace running errands for work, with requisite stops at it's two favorite places, the parts store and the gas station!

It feels really odd to finally be driving this car, but oh what a good feeling it is.

Car show tomorrow, cruise tomorrow night. Ah yeah, it's going to be a good weekend.

N Sperlo PowerDork
Aug. 24, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 24, 2012 2:51 p.m.

These mufflers rock BTW. Hooker Aero Chambers (ordered from Rob at Rob's Rod Shop). Nice, mellow, deep tone at idle/cruise, and they have a great wail at WOT. No droning, and not tinny at all.

Also, the Javelin will lay rubber in 1st and bark 2nd. Because torque.

ransom SuperDork
Aug. 24, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Congrats! It's always great to see a project live...

Now you must post vids with sound. Because we've gotta know.

4cylndrfury UltimaDork
Aug. 24, 2012 3:01 p.m.

congrats!

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 24, 2012 3:04 p.m.
ransom wrote: Congrats! It's always great to see a project live... Now you must post vids with sound. Because we've *gotta* know.

Thanks!

I will be videoing at the cruise tomorrow. No guarantees on when anything will be posted, but I am getting it done for y'all.

PS - Anybody that wants a ride can show up to the ORPCA autocross at PIR in October...

DrBoost UberDork
Aug. 24, 2012 3:09 p.m.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought you were going with stacks. What the heck!!

Grtechguy PowerDork
Aug. 24, 2012 3:12 p.m.

9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Aug. 24, 2012 3:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote: These mufflers *rock* BTW. Hooker Aero Chambers (ordered from Rob at Rob's Rod Shop). Nice, mellow, deep tone at idle/cruise, and they have a great wail at WOT. No droning, and not tinny at all. Also, the Javelin will lay rubber in 1st and bark 2nd. Because torque.

That looks like a great setup!!

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 24, 2012 3:41 p.m.

BTW, the exhaust manifolds are changed. I did them at 7:30 this morning They are now 1970 high-flow units (as opposed to my 73 smoggers with the EGR tubes poking into the damn ports). Also, no heat riser.

Take those, the new unrestricted exhaust system, the open element air cleaner, the MSD coil, and the fully deleted EGR and air pump and this thing is doing pretty well in the HP department.

It's 8.25:1 compression and was 220HP/315TQ new in 73. A 1971 was 295/395 (no EGR, no air pump, high flow manifolds, but 9.5:1 compression, smaller chambers, but worse ports). I figure some carb tuning and maybe a re-curve and I could be at 300/400 pretty easily...

noddaz Reader
Aug. 24, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Voted up! (Been there, done that!)

nicksta43 Dork
Aug. 24, 2012 5:33 p.m.

Nice choice of Hookers.

Patiently awating videos.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
Aug. 24, 2012 9:17 p.m.

No X pipe? For shame!

Hows the cabin noise with those turndowns?

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 25, 2012 8:58 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: No X pipe? For shame! Hows the cabin noise with those turndowns?

AMC's do not like crossover pipes for some reason. Dad and Gramps both documented quicker ET's without them.

Cabin noise is surprisingly quiet with the turndowns. They are actually quite far back. I'm really happy with them!

Rob_Mopar Dork
Aug. 25, 2012 9:03 a.m.

Awesome! I'm glad they worked out for you. Looking forward to the audio track.

As for that 8.25:1 advertised compression, a centrifugal supercharger could fix that.

Aug. 25, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Nice, I'm a bit jealous.

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 25, 2012 3:59 p.m.

At the show field!

There's a pretty nice, original, 401 71 Javelin AMX; an all-original 68 Ambassador; and a Pacer "truck" there for other AMC's. I'm definitely not the ugliest car by a looooong shot. I got a few thumbs up and comments on the engine!

I also won one of the bigger door prizes.

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 25, 2012 11:26 p.m.

Went to the cruise tonight, revved it up, burned some rubber, and took friends for rides. Then I let my Mom drive and she relived her youth

I didn't know she'd been given so many tickets for racing. Also, I need new tires...

Aug. 26, 2012 11:49 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Went to the cruise tonight, revved it up, burned some rubber, and took friends for rides. Then I let my Mom drive and she relived her youth I didn't know she'd been given so many tickets for racing. Also, I need new tires...

Awesome sauce!!

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 27, 2012 10:48 a.m.

That was a really, really good weekend. It made all that work worth it for sure!

I think I'll switch cars to the Javelin at lunch, because I can.

pres589 Dork
Aug. 27, 2012 12:00 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: 9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Not to thread jack but you're the kind of guy that makes other folks hate anyone with a motorcycle. If I knew where to send them, I'd be mailing your neighbors paint balls to use with prejudice.

dculberson SuperDork
Aug. 27, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Awesome!!

I wonder how the hooker aero chambers would sound on the GS430??

Javelin MegaDork
Aug. 27, 2012 12:48 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Awesome!! I wonder how the hooker aero chambers would sound on the GS430??

At this point I'm seriously considering three more of them. Two for SWMBO's 3800 Grand Prix (which already has a gnarly rasp at idle) and one for the Mazda5, just because...

turboswede PowerDork
Aug. 27, 2012 1:05 p.m.
pres589 wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: 9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Not to thread jack but you're the kind of guy that makes other folks hate anyone with a motorcycle. If I knew where to send them, I'd be mailing your neighbors paint balls to use with prejudice.

For real, that's a dick move if ever there was one.

aussiesmg UltimaDork
Aug. 27, 2012 2:19 p.m.

Javelin,

My buddy's brother has 2 AMX Javelins, a 360 auto and a 401 4 speed, both are projects that he hasnt touched in years.

No, he wont sell them either

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

2 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

2 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

3 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

4 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

4 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

4 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

5 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

6 days ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

Chris Albin’s Flying VW Golf: What Really Happened?

1 week ago in News

What really happened to send Chris Albin's VW Golf flying?

Drive Cars From the Lane Motor Museum Collection

1 week ago in News

Love older, maybe slightly weirder cars? This event is for you.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
BM1H8LKAURYsbQxE511Xb1vvN6wNRl8K