1 2
Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/24/12 2:47 p.m.

Even though I know I'm in the doghouse for waking up the entire county at 9AM this morning (to drive the open-exhaust Javelin to the exhaust shop), it now has mufflers and drives oooooh so nice! I've been cruising it all over the pace running errands for work, with requisite stops at it's two favorite places, the parts store and the gas station!

It feels really odd to finally be driving this car, but oh what a good feeling it is.

Car show tomorrow, cruise tomorrow night. Ah yeah, it's going to be a good weekend.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/24/12 2:48 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/24/12 2:51 p.m.

These mufflers rock BTW. Hooker Aero Chambers (ordered from Rob at Rob's Rod Shop). Nice, mellow, deep tone at idle/cruise, and they have a great wail at WOT. No droning, and not tinny at all.

Also, the Javelin will lay rubber in 1st and bark 2nd. Because torque.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
8/24/12 2:58 p.m.

Congrats! It's always great to see a project live...

Now you must post vids with sound. Because we've gotta know.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
8/24/12 3:01 p.m.

congrats!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/24/12 3:04 p.m.
ransom wrote: Congrats! It's always great to see a project live... Now you must post vids with sound. Because we've *gotta* know.

Thanks!

I will be videoing at the cruise tomorrow. No guarantees on when anything will be posted, but I am getting it done for y'all.

PS - Anybody that wants a ride can show up to the ORPCA autocross at PIR in October...

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
8/24/12 3:09 p.m.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought you were going with stacks. What the heck!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
8/24/12 3:12 p.m.

9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/24/12 3:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote: These mufflers *rock* BTW. Hooker Aero Chambers (ordered from Rob at Rob's Rod Shop). Nice, mellow, deep tone at idle/cruise, and they have a great wail at WOT. No droning, and not tinny at all. Also, the Javelin will lay rubber in 1st and bark 2nd. Because torque.

That looks like a great setup!!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/24/12 3:41 p.m.

BTW, the exhaust manifolds are changed. I did them at 7:30 this morning They are now 1970 high-flow units (as opposed to my 73 smoggers with the EGR tubes poking into the damn ports). Also, no heat riser.

Take those, the new unrestricted exhaust system, the open element air cleaner, the MSD coil, and the fully deleted EGR and air pump and this thing is doing pretty well in the HP department.

It's 8.25:1 compression and was 220HP/315TQ new in 73. A 1971 was 295/395 (no EGR, no air pump, high flow manifolds, but 9.5:1 compression, smaller chambers, but worse ports). I figure some carb tuning and maybe a re-curve and I could be at 300/400 pretty easily...

noddaz
noddaz Reader
8/24/12 4:39 p.m.

Voted up! (Been there, done that!)

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
8/24/12 5:33 p.m.

Nice choice of Hookers.

Patiently awating videos.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/24/12 9:17 p.m.

No X pipe? For shame!

Hows the cabin noise with those turndowns?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/25/12 8:58 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: No X pipe? For shame! Hows the cabin noise with those turndowns?

AMC's do not like crossover pipes for some reason. Dad and Gramps both documented quicker ET's without them.

Cabin noise is surprisingly quiet with the turndowns. They are actually quite far back. I'm really happy with them!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
8/25/12 9:03 a.m.

Awesome! I'm glad they worked out for you. Looking forward to the audio track.

As for that 8.25:1 advertised compression, a centrifugal supercharger could fix that.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/25/12 10:10 a.m.

Nice, I'm a bit jealous.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/25/12 3:59 p.m.

At the show field!

There's a pretty nice, original, 401 71 Javelin AMX; an all-original 68 Ambassador; and a Pacer "truck" there for other AMC's. I'm definitely not the ugliest car by a looooong shot. I got a few thumbs up and comments on the engine!

I also won one of the bigger door prizes.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/25/12 11:26 p.m.

Went to the cruise tonight, revved it up, burned some rubber, and took friends for rides. Then I let my Mom drive and she relived her youth

I didn't know she'd been given so many tickets for racing. Also, I need new tires...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/26/12 11:49 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Went to the cruise tonight, revved it up, burned some rubber, and took friends for rides. Then I let my Mom drive and she relived her youth I didn't know she'd been given so many tickets for racing. Also, I need new tires...

Awesome sauce!!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/27/12 10:48 a.m.

That was a really, really good weekend. It made all that work worth it for sure!

I think I'll switch cars to the Javelin at lunch, because I can.

pres589
pres589 Dork
8/27/12 12:00 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: 9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Not to thread jack but you're the kind of guy that makes other folks hate anyone with a motorcycle. If I knew where to send them, I'd be mailing your neighbors paint balls to use with prejudice.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
8/27/12 12:32 p.m.

Awesome!!

I wonder how the hooker aero chambers would sound on the GS430??

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/27/12 12:48 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Awesome!! I wonder how the hooker aero chambers would sound on the GS430??

At this point I'm seriously considering three more of them. Two for SWMBO's 3800 Grand Prix (which already has a gnarly rasp at idle) and one for the Mazda5, just because...

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
8/27/12 1:05 p.m.
pres589 wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: 9am? psshh.... I leave at 6:30 on a uncorked street bike. My neighbors don't need alarm clocks

Not to thread jack but you're the kind of guy that makes other folks hate anyone with a motorcycle. If I knew where to send them, I'd be mailing your neighbors paint balls to use with prejudice.

For real, that's a dick move if ever there was one.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
8/27/12 2:19 p.m.

Javelin,

My buddy's brother has 2 AMX Javelins, a 360 auto and a 401 4 speed, both are projects that he hasnt touched in years.

No, he wont sell them either

1 2
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
DEIObj7AtqxsChou0n8YQIlThROoD76y