FormulaReed
FormulaReed New Reader
4/13/19 3:47 p.m.

Hello all,

so I got a GTL mk1 rabbit in trade for a Boxster and I’m working on getting it ready for the track. 

The guy that I got it from did not know much about it, but the build looked good, it’s got a log book and it runs great.

however, I have no idea what oil I should run. I don’t know the details of the internals, but it’s a 1.9l 8v, Webber carbs, runs on race gas. I found a dyno sheet that  shows it made 144hp at the crank. 

Any ideas on what oil I should run? No idea what’s in it now and nothing in the docs that I got that helps.

Thanks,

Reed

sergio
sergio Reader
4/13/19 3:59 p.m.

I would think you can’t go wrong with Redline oil. 

Looking at what Mike Ogren said about oil he used in his 85 Golf racer, he used Mobil 1 and Rotella Synthetic oils but didn’t say what weight oil. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/19 4:25 p.m.

My experience with Webers has been that it's common to get a little fuel mixed into the oil. So (at least in throery) you want an oil that can still lubricate well when contaminated with fuel.

From what I've been told, Amsoil Dominator RD50 and Motul 300V Competition are supposed to be good for these kinds of situations ... but I have no idea how you'd confirm something like that.

Personally, I would be very comfortable with Brad Penn PG-1 and frequent oil changes.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/19 4:58 p.m.

Can you send a sample out and have it tested?  

FormulaReed
FormulaReed New Reader
4/13/19 9:40 p.m.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea what would be a good weight? Not going be driven in the winter, temps will probably 70-90 at the track here in the northwest.

i though about sending the oil off, but idk if the oil that’s in it is what was run in the car when it was racing. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
4/13/19 9:48 p.m.

I'd say with a solid lifter head 20w50 or straight 50w synthetic for a start.  you can always drop the viscosity after you see where the oil pressure & temps wind up.

Is it dry sumped?  Gtl should have a sir with what I'm assuming is an overbored 1.8. (The only be 1.9 was a diesel I think?)

Where in the nw are you?

Kendall

FormulaReed
FormulaReed New Reader
4/14/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

It does have a dry sump. I’m in west seattle. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J09OdAnHoLAObSNvJIbqafjBBUGLWKlNhn6AJJ744OHf7UgriNefmDV6mP3PV33T