turboswede SuperDork
March 3, 2011 11:27 p.m.

Specifically, one that I can use on the nose of an Eaton M45 supercharger from a Mercedes SLK Kompressor. Its one of the models with an electrically controlled front pulley, but mine didn't come with one and they are $400 new.

So, the OD is .875" and it is a 26T spline. I can do the machine work to make a pulley once I get something properly splined :)

Any thoughts?

dean1484 Dork
March 4, 2011 5:37 a.m.

Dam Canoes. They are getting more and more prevalent as of late.

But back on topic. You can get the center friction disk only for about $75. It has the splined part you are looking for.

I had one made up but the machinist was not as precise as I would have liked and there is a small bit of wobble. I used two alternator pulley from a 944. Welded end to end and then cut down so you end up with about 1.5 pulley in width. I then had the inside of the pulley opened up the a little so it would slide over the bearing that is on the shout of the supercharger. The pulley was then drilled out and the center from the friction plate was turned down to match. IT was then tagged in place. IT worked but I would like another one that is better machined and slightly larger than the one I have.

I would be interested in getting one made up if you were making them. I will have to dig through my emails to find the supplier of the friction plates.

Ignorant SuperDork
March 4, 2011 5:39 a.m.

marriage canoe?

dean1484 Dork
March 4, 2011 9:33 a.m.

Are you sure it is an M45 and not an M62?

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
March 4, 2011 10:21 a.m.

THIS is EXACTLY what the poster, a week or so ago, was looking to do with his new access to milling/cutting/fabrication machinery.

Don't know who it was, but there was a thread he posted on how to make $$ with the shop.

turboswede SuperDork
March 4, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Uh, not a canoe guys. I'm what you might call a regular here. Thanks for the help though!

Dean, the earlier Kompressors were M45s and the later ones are M62s. I don't know the splits offhand, but looking up the part numbers on the unit shows that it is a smaller one.

If you could find a part number and/or supplier for the friction disc, I would buy you a 6-pack of your favorite beverage. I can do the work to build/adapt multi-rib pulleys, but internally splined parts are out of the range of skills and tools I currently have access to.

I don't have the bearing for the snout either, but I believe I can get those relatively easily.

Appleseed SuperDork
March 4, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Granger, perhaps?

DoctorBlade HalfDork
March 4, 2011 2:08 p.m.

I'm having "Reticulated Splines" flashbacks now. That's all I've got.

turboswede SuperDork
March 5, 2011 2:04 p.m.

Checked at Grainger, lots of woodruff keyed pieces :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

8 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

8 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

10 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

11 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

12 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

14 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
uumA45tZsFe8lfIqTKBUxbLcs2nUmnyw