turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/11 11:27 p.m.

Specifically, one that I can use on the nose of an Eaton M45 supercharger from a Mercedes SLK Kompressor. Its one of the models with an electrically controlled front pulley, but mine didn't come with one and they are $400 new.

So, the OD is .875" and it is a 26T spline. I can do the machine work to make a pulley once I get something properly splined :)

Any thoughts?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/11 5:37 a.m.

Dam Canoes. They are getting more and more prevalent as of late.

But back on topic. You can get the center friction disk only for about $75. It has the splined part you are looking for.

I had one made up but the machinist was not as precise as I would have liked and there is a small bit of wobble. I used two alternator pulley from a 944. Welded end to end and then cut down so you end up with about 1.5 pulley in width. I then had the inside of the pulley opened up the a little so it would slide over the bearing that is on the shout of the supercharger. The pulley was then drilled out and the center from the friction plate was turned down to match. IT was then tagged in place. IT worked but I would like another one that is better machined and slightly larger than the one I have.

I would be interested in getting one made up if you were making them. I will have to dig through my emails to find the supplier of the friction plates.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
3/4/11 5:39 a.m.

marriage canoe?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/11 9:33 a.m.

Are you sure it is an M45 and not an M62?

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/4/11 10:21 a.m.

THIS is EXACTLY what the poster, a week or so ago, was looking to do with his new access to milling/cutting/fabrication machinery.

Don't know who it was, but there was a thread he posted on how to make $$ with the shop.

turboswede
3/4/11 12:18 p.m.

Uh, not a canoe guys. I'm what you might call a regular here. Thanks for the help though!

Dean, the earlier Kompressors were M45s and the later ones are M62s. I don't know the splits offhand, but looking up the part numbers on the unit shows that it is a smaller one.

If you could find a part number and/or supplier for the friction disc, I would buy you a 6-pack of your favorite beverage. I can do the work to build/adapt multi-rib pulleys, but internally splined parts are out of the range of skills and tools I currently have access to.

I don't have the bearing for the snout either, but I believe I can get those relatively easily.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
3/4/11 2:04 p.m.

Granger, perhaps?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
3/4/11 2:08 p.m.

I'm having "Reticulated Splines" flashbacks now. That's all I've got.

turboswede
3/5/11 2:04 p.m.

Checked at Grainger, lots of woodruff keyed pieces :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dtKgRGG9OEm06MdDmsy23vxRoExT9dMGz7Pcfv2Yhe7ClqQVYUyq2rALX7LwiJ9X