Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/27/14 1:44 p.m.

I need to start my car up soon after having it sit for around 7 months. Does fuel last that long or do I need to siphon the gas and put fresh fuel in it. I did not use any stabilizers or any additives to it for storage. It is only around 1 gallon in the tank at the most so it's not a big deal to dispose of it.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/14 1:56 p.m.

I think it depends on a lot of different variables (how full was the tank, where was it stored, etc). I've ran gas that's sat longer than that with no problems.

YMMV

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
6/27/14 2:06 p.m.

I think that the general idea around here is that 7months for modern fuel and modern cars is ok. It prob wouldnt hurt to throw some techron and a few gal of premium in the tank on top of it, but I wouldnt worry about it. I started a van that had sat for 2yrs and it fired up after we got the fuel pressure up. I added some marvel mystery oil into the tank just because I had it in the car. I think its a bigger deal to change out the oil soon after starting. I'm sure that people more qualified than me will chime in, though.

Congrats on getting to the point of even being able to start the car!!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/27/14 2:13 p.m.

My car sits for about 7 months every winter, and every spring I get in, turn the key, and it starts right up. I never got around to putting any stabilizer in the tank last fall but it didn't seem to make any difference, it ran as good as always.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/14 2:17 p.m.

I'd fill it up the rest of the way with fresh gas before starting it, just to be safe.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/27/14 2:29 p.m.

Cool, thanks. It just sat in the driveway with about 1 gallon in it since I parked it. I did change the oil yesterday.

cwaters
cwaters Reader
6/27/14 3:12 p.m.

I'd probably put some fresh in to mix with the old stuff. "They" say the new gas formulations don't deal with sitting as well as the old stuff did.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
6/27/14 3:18 p.m.

I read recently that 94 will be good for a year and 87 octane about 6 months. Also it is better to leave the tank full to the brim when storing to minimize condensation and air exposure.

So 7 months should be OK, but it would be OK to siphon it too if you are the fussy type.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
6/27/14 4:32 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: My car sits for about 7 months every winter, and every spring I get in, turn the key, and it starts right up. I never got around to putting any stabilizer in the tank last fall but it didn't seem to make any difference, it ran as good as always. I have a van that sits around 6 months unused each winter, I've never had a problem starting it as long as the battery had not gone flat!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
357mYcBXx782hOF56wJ2DtKs3Au9m1f7Xl65YoQtjR5kcEYdC7ByI4OqNeNa2pVM