JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/18/08 10:42 a.m.

Old school. Keepin' it real. Straight up.

These are terms that are used to signify that substance, not style, defines the concept in question. And whether it's clothing, music, or--in this case--cars, old school is definitely IN school right now.

And thus we segue into the theme of this issue's cover story. On the following pages, you'll find a collection of enthusiasts who are definitely keepin' it real. While they could have simply followed the crowd and bought the latest hot car and subsequently bolted the latest hot parts onto it, they decided to go a different route. They looked to the past for inspiration, and resurrected some of the great names from the history of import performance.

While the 350Z is Nissan's latest and greatest, would today's Z be as relevant had it not been for the 240, 260 and 280Z that came before it? Or what about Volkswagen, one of today's major contenders in the hot hatchback market. Where would VW be had they not helped create that segment decades ago with cars like the Rabbit GTI and Scirocco?

Porsche is known as one of the world's premier sports car manufacturers, and today it's hard to get into one of their products for less than the price of a starter house. But nearly a generation ago, the 914/6, spiritual ancestor to today's Boxster, dominated the race tracks and autocross courses of the world. Well, why should today be any different than yesterday?

And what about Volvo? Dismissed by some as a stodgy professor's car, Volvo today makes some of the world's finest and fastest--not to mention safest--sporting sedans. Decades ago, they were sowing those seeds of the future with the 122. The owner of the car featured in our story took a lesson from the modern Volvo sedans and augmented his 122 with a little forced induction.

All of which brings us to cover boy Adam Carolla--a stunning example of keepin' it real. From his blue-collar roots to national TV and radio success, Adam has reaped personal and financial rewards sufficient to allow him to buy whatever blinged-out Hollywood road toy he wants.

He, however, chose to go old school: Gracing Adam's garage (along with his pilfered "The Man Show" sign) are a stunning BRE replica Datsun 510 and RS replica Porsche 911.

Even those of us too young to remember "the good old days" know that it's important to salute our elders.

Read the rest of the story

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/18/08 2:04 p.m.

He needs a mid-70s Corolla in his garage just to keep with his name (I know they are spelled differently so shut up).

scotaku
scotaku New Reader
7/1/09 6:48 p.m.

Give me my fifteen minutes. I'm certain I can make a few people laugh for a little while and parlay their money into some tasty rides of my own. I promise though, when my time is up I will not bore you with any attempts to 'come back' nor soil the good name of Top Gear. Deal?

GlennS
GlennS Dork
10/6/09 11:45 a.m.

Scotaku, Adam Carolla had a bit more than fifteen minutes and i still listen to his podcast every morning on the way to work.....could you work on not boring us with your boring comments?

DETROIT
DETROIT
12/4/09 2:01 p.m.

GlennS your right Ace deserves what he has! He has worked very hard to get where he is and he didn't lose his blue-collar realness along the way. He is one of the only people in Hollywood that can think for themselves and isn't afraid to say what he thinks. And screw Top Gear! I have always hated how they compare every car on the market with Ferrari, 911s, etc. Plus Carolla shot what would have been a really interesting show for them and they never showed it. Probably because they new that he would be more popular than a stuck up british guy.

Also don't for get to check-out his car podcast Carcast.

66etype
66etype New Reader
12/6/09 11:21 a.m.

I like Carolla very much, but would you rather they compared cars to a Prius?

Our Preferred Partners
adQlmdaJjDOnTWwtLv99MYlxxlivERdDMqlTbU4ORdarDwAxAnQvTGxt6Dj4VBeA