1 2
sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/19/16 9:28 a.m.

Needed a regular car that wouldn't be a pain in the ass to oen while I do the 2zz swap in SWMBO's commute attack car (mr2/2zz turbo). Bought a really really clean, one owner, full service history at dealer of purchase, package 6 (super loaded, leveling xenons, jbl, blutooth, nav, every option) prius. It's gonna be nice to have a car that I'm less tempted to mod the bejesus out of, still have some mods in mind though . Maybe a rigid lightbar....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/16 10:37 a.m.

I too bought one last week. I've put about 1,000 miles on it in the past 7 days.

Package #4 which includes BT, JLB and xenon lights but no navigation.

Mine is an '07. What year is yours?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/16 10:53 a.m.

Welcome to the club!

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
11/19/16 11:22 a.m.

Please turn you man card over to the proper authorities .

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
11/19/16 11:24 a.m.

So, handling improvement fun, at least?

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/19/16 1:26 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I too bought one last week. I've put about 1,000 miles on it in the past 7 days. Package #4 which includes BT, JLB and xenon lights but no navigation. Mine is an '07. What year is yours?

Mine's an 05 pkg 6 (loaded). I wish the Bluetooth allowed me to stream music

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/19/16 1:41 p.m.

We love our Prius c. 50 mpg, 40 with studded snow tires and the roof rack loaded up in single digit temperatures. If you need an appliance for daily commuting and don't need extreme luxury at the same time, it really is the best one.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/19/16 2:22 p.m.

Anybody have the oil burning problem?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/16 2:35 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Anybody have the oil burning problem?

Someone in my purchase thread (linked in earlier post) said his 200k Prius was using 1qt/1k miles.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/19/16 2:42 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

I have not tried to BT music only. I set up my portable XM via the red cord to aux port in the armrest and have pretty exclusively listened to that.
I also added a 3 power port adapter to the center arm rest.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
11/19/16 2:43 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

I do. An '08. About a quart every 12-1500 miles. I noticed it around 170k. Currently at 211k.

And OP, welcome to the club! The prius "appreciators" are taking over the forum. It is the answer for commuters and those in need of appliances.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/19/16 2:49 p.m.

If you do want to mod, it is possible in theory

Smoking Tire Prius

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
11/19/16 3:45 p.m.

Booo!!!! Just kidding.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/19/16 4:40 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: If you do want to mod, it is possible in theory Smoking Tire Prius

That wouldn't be my choice of mods. Stiffer rear bar and good rubber is on the list but slammed on junky coilovers and rubbing ain't my deal. I did ditch the hubcap/ring deals before the ride home. Alloys with hubcaps seem stupid to me.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/19/16 6:31 p.m.

I see very few of them with those trim rings still in place. Mine were gone before i bought it.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/20/16 8:32 a.m.

SWMBO drove it last night for the first real drive, I asked how she likes it, her reply was "how hard would it be to depower the steering rack like you did in the mr2?"

It would probably help with fuel economy.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/20/16 1:55 p.m.

Easy to unplug, possibly much harder to not have a christmas tree worth of warning lights as a result.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/23/16 11:54 a.m.

Update:

I've been "driving" the prius for a couple days now and have learned a few things....

Firstly, people treat you like E36 M3 when you drive one. They try to close the door on you when you overtake them, they tailgate you even at the very high end of ticket resistant speed (15 over ish). Then when you let them by they pass you then slow down. People are shiny happy people, no news there. They dont respect prius drivers, also not really news.

Secondly, the prius handles like E36 M3. It badly needs firmer springs, dampers and most importantly swaybars and tires. The low rolling resistance tires suck at being tires. I think that it'll be an almost lateral move in terms of fuel economy to swap on some sticky rubber as it will allow momentum to be retained when otherwise it would be wasted by slowing drastically for corners in trade for some drag.

Lastly, every once in a while it needs a little more poke. I'm going to research a 50 shot.

So, here's the plan.... Nra sticker, trd suspension, some max performance summer tires, and a 50 shot. We'll see. So far I really like it, it's comfy, super frugal, practical, pretty great.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/23/16 1:08 p.m.

Sounds excellent. The information out there about pushing more power through toyota hybrid systems is vague. Julian Edgar turbo'd either one or two Prii, i can't remember. A shop built a boosted Highlander Hybrid for SEMA long long ago. The thing that confuses me about it is that with the PSD transmission you are using torque from two sources to get your instantaneous gear ratio from the trans. I don't exactly know how to quantify it, but it seems to me that if you increase the torque coming from the ICE you also increase the torque requirement from the MG1 motor to maintain its same speed and thus the same gear ratio at that instant. So it seems like at some point your ICE power would overpower your MG1 motor and effectively cause a 'slip' condition where your engine speeds up but your gear ratio becomes shorter, resulting in a loss of actual acceleration and an ass load of DTCs.

But that's all very theoretical. I don't actually know.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
11/23/16 1:12 p.m.

Curiosity strikes me, what color is it? I've got a theory that has some effect on how people drive around one (or any car for that matter).

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/23/16 3:22 p.m.

Tideland

Aspen
Aspen Reader
11/24/16 11:00 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: Update: Firstly, people treat you like E36 M3 when you drive one. They try to close the door on you when you overtake them, they tailgate you even at the very high end of ticket resistant speed (15 over ish). Then when you let them by they pass you then slow down. People are shiny happy people, no news there. They dont respect prius drivers, also not really news. Secondly, the prius handles like E36 M3. It badly needs firmer springs, dampers and most importantly swaybars and tires. The low rolling resistance tires suck at being tires. I think that it'll be an almost lateral move in terms of fuel economy to swap on some sticky rubber as it will allow momentum to be retained when otherwise it would be wasted by slowing drastically for corners in trade for some drag..

This is the reason why I bought and recommend the Lexus CT200h. It fixes all the bad about the Prius suspension, even the tires are better while giving up about 1mpg. Other drivers don't know what it is or see the Lexus badge and treat you like any other car.

You also get a much nicer and quieter interior.

No need to spend $ on springs, struts, swaybars, wheels/tires, futile attempts at power increases, stereo upgrades, etc. They aren't a lot more $$ than a similar same year Prius on the used car market either. They only started making them in 2011 so they are not a super cheap used car yet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
11/24/16 11:14 a.m.

I have not experienced (or been aware of) any negativity while driving my recently purchased Prius (in light green)

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/16 11:44 a.m.

When I drive my Land Cruiser, I notice all the same things about other drivers as I do in my Prius. People are just selfish and impatient.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
11/24/16 5:17 p.m.

My parents have a ct200h (15 or 16?) and it's nice. That said, it was 20k more than my prius. Imho, it's not $20k cooler, although it may very well be $10k prettier. If it had a 2gr and was rwd, I'd be willing to pay what they'd ask for it. If I could find a way to make the prius $2k more handley and have a 50shot work, I'd be really satisfied.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Ph6mKwNTKfJvp89Ynj4QdUUKJ3vLeZ91hdgbhUSMk53jiduioiHaMFxESIXggfb