1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/25/16 11:02 a.m.

I'll be leaving mine stock, thank you very much.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/16 11:05 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Same here.

Aside from an extra set of wheels and tires and maybe some strategically placed decals (GRM Dork mostly)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/16 11:06 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to mndsm: Considering the number of FoST that have had engine failures after getting aftermarket tunes (and some without tunes) which possibly indicates that fuel quality and octane are very important along with paying attention to what's going on and what you're doing.

My guess is a case of too aggressive tunes + being beat on non-stop.

And some tuners did teh same when the Coyote motors came out and were blowing up the #8 cylinder. It takes some time to really understand the new motors and ECUs.

That's why I'm glad all the BRZ guys were the guinea pigs for the first few years before I got mine.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/16 11:14 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Not necessarily in every case, but I suspect that's true in more than one case. One had a rod spit out the block on a stock tune just cruising on the highway. Obviously a manufacturing defect which should be resolved through warranty.

Basically stuff happens and modern manufacturing, emissions and fuel consumption all combine to produce parts that are only are strong and heavy as they absolutely need to be and this doesn't leave much room for mistakes to be made.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/25/16 11:21 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to mndsm: Considering the number of FoST that have had engine failures after getting aftermarket tunes (and some without tunes) which possibly indicates that fuel quality and octane are very important along with paying attention to what's going on and what you're doing.

Yeah, really it all comes down to blockheads not playing with their toys right. Most of the ms3 failures came down to fuel starvation blowing out the #4 cylinder.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/25/16 11:34 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: If you read the fine print, any mods require premium fuel. So there's one big thing that many will either forget or just not do.

I just don't understand this. Yes, premium is more expensive than mid-grade. But the price difference is less than 5 bucks a tankful! If you really need the extra $5 that much, maybe you should skip 1 Starbucks a week. Or just drive a less-expensive car.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
5/25/16 2:43 p.m.

I have the Ford Racing tune on my FoST, installed by a Ford dealer. And though I'm not happy about it, I don't even hesitate when it comes to what fuel to put in. 93 each and every time. That little engine is making a lot of boost, not going to mess with the possibility of destroying it.

And I can testify that the ECU tune makes a HELL of a difference. Holy torque, batman!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/25/16 2:58 p.m.
Duke wrote:
alfadriver wrote: If you read the fine print, any mods require premium fuel. So there's one big thing that many will either forget or just not do.
I just don't understand this. Yes, premium is more expensive than mid-grade. But the price difference is *less than 5 bucks a tankful!* If you *really* need the extra $5 that much, maybe you should skip 1 Starbucks a week. Or just drive a less-expensive car.

Neither do I, but I know it happens. Moreso on non modified cars.

But people don't bat an eye at dropping $1500 on a modification, but then hesitate spending $0.50 more a gallon (at worst). Human nature is funny.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
5/25/16 3:05 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: That's why I'm glad all the BRZ guys were the guinea pigs for the first few years before I got mine.

2/3 of the supercharged FRS I race against have blown their motors. The 3rd twin sticks with 91 and just 300HP. He learned from the other's mistakes.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/25/16 3:58 p.m.

Well, the FRS's all have aftermarket systems, so they weren't tested or approved by the factory.

I run premium only even in my stock Fiesta.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/16 4:16 p.m.
The Hoff wrote:
z31maniac wrote: That's why I'm glad all the BRZ guys were the guinea pigs for the first few years before I got mine.
2/3 of the supercharged FRS I race against have blown their motors. The 3rd twin sticks with 91 and just 300HP. He learned from the other's mistakes.

That statement lacks tons of other info.

What systems? How much boost? What power are they making? But yes, the cars seem to be generally reliable up to around 270-280whp.

After that you're on borrowed time.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/16 4:50 p.m.
Duke wrote:
I just don't understand this. Yes, premium is more expensive than mid-grade. But the price difference is *less than 5 bucks a tankful!* If you *really* need the extra $5 that much, maybe you should skip 1 Starbucks a week. Or just drive a less-expensive car.

whiiiiine But I want 400hp and 35mpg on 87 octane! 93 octane is just too expensive!

Knurled
5/25/16 4:51 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
I have the Ford Racing tune on my FoST, installed by a Ford dealer. And though I'm not happy about it, I don't even hesitate when it comes to what fuel to put in. 93 each and every time. That little engine is making a lot of boost, not going to mess with the possibility of destroying it. And I can testify that the ECU tune makes a HELL of a difference. Holy torque, batman!

The more you keep talking about it, the more you're going to make the loan officer at my bank happy.

jsquared
jsquared HalfDork
5/25/16 5:01 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Not dampened here. IIRC the review boiled down to "If you beat on the car mercilessly in DRIFT mode, you will overheat the RDU." Other than that, it's my understanding in Race/Track mode, the car is supposed to be good for 30 minute sessions without having heat issues from any of the systems.

It's supposed to be. I don't doubt for a stock one it'll hold up fine most of the time (AMP or Roebling in the middle of summer... we'll see ). With upgraded power, we'll see. The main issue I have is that the electronics and the hydraulics have to be actively engaged/working to get drive to the rear wheels. The true torque-vectoring rear axle is nice, but the car is WORKING to get power to that axle to begin with. With the STI, it naturally sends most torque and power to the rear, with the center diff only clamping a bit proactively under certain conditions (when in Auto mode) or when there's wheelspin. While it doesn't torque-vector, the rear-bias is mechanical and the electronics only fiddle a bit, and usually only to send a little more power forwards when the rears break loose. With the FoRS, power to the rear only happens with intervention, and it has to stay intervening.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/25/16 5:15 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
My guess is a case of too aggressive tunes + being beat on non-stop. And some tuners did teh same when the Coyote motors came out and were blowing up the #8 cylinder. It takes some time to really understand the new motors and ECUs. That's why I'm glad all the BRZ guys were the guinea pigs for the first few years before I got mine.

Admittedly there are weak points in the disi design. The cdfp was never designed to hold up to additional pressures. Internals failing is generally what causes starvation. The turbos were also designed for spool, not top end. With the kind of flow a disi block is capable of, bearings get honked. Mine failed. But still, most of the failures were due to idiocy.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
5/25/16 5:37 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Admittedly there are weak points in the disi design. The cdfp was never designed to hold up to additional pressures. Internals failing is generally what causes starvation. The turbos were also designed for spool, not top end. With the kind of flow a disi block is capable of, bearings get honked. Mine failed. But still, most of the failures were due to idiocy.

So much glorious lingo in that comment.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/16 5:39 p.m.
mndsm wrote: cdfp

HPFP

You peasant!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/25/16 6:24 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
HPFP You peasant!

Whatever. Damn thing loses steam before the injectors do by an exponential rate.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/25/16 6:25 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: And I can testify that the ECU tune makes a HELL of a difference. Holy torque steer, batman!

FTFY (says the smug jerk who will soon have AWD)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/25/16 6:33 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
HPFP You peasant!
Whatever. Damn thing loses steam before the injectors do by an exponential rate.

Key part- HPFP are volume limited- no matter what pressure or volume or anything they are fed- the pump itself has a volume limit. That will always be the limit, not pressure.

Given that gas pressures are 1/10 of diesels, pressure isn't that big of a deal. Not a minor deal, but not the biggest.

Knurled
5/25/16 6:46 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Key part- HPFP are volume limited- no matter what pressure or volume or anything they are fed- the pump itself has a volume limit. That will always be the limit, not pressure. Given that gas pressures are 1/10 of diesels, pressure isn't that big of a deal. Not a minor deal, but not the biggest.

I am assuming that this is why COBB does not offer comprehensive dyno plots for the Mazdaspeed6 tunes like they do for other cars. And the plot they do offer basically looks like no difference at all.

I would love to have one of those cars, but I got scared away by the way the stock tune is pushing the scary-edge limits of the fuel pump, and, being an early adopter of DI, how it uses a different flavor of fuel injection than ehat everyone eventually standardized on, so it's a Betamax injection system in a VHS world. No upgrade path, even stock replacement parts may be tricky in a few years.

Makes me consider how difficult it would be to do an Ecoboost swap into an MS6, keeping all of the controllers talking to each other...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/25/16 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: FWIW, there are still a lot of DI injector developments. I should be trying a totally different one next month.

What sucks is that's hard to figure out how to actually get an optimum design. At the moment, only one supplier does a really great job- all the rest have their share of issues.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/25/16 9:55 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
mndsm wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
HPFP You peasant!
Key part- HPFP are volume limited- no matter what pressure or volume or anything they are fed- the pump itself has a volume limit. That will always be the limit, not pressure. Given that gas pressures are 1/10 of diesels, pressure isn't that big of a deal. Not a minor deal, but not the biggest.

I thought gas DI pressures were still north of 1,000...........diesels are north of 10,000?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/16 6:32 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

yea, gas is now pushing 2500-3000 psi, but common rail diesels were at 20k psi a while ago.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/26/16 7:25 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to z31maniac: yea, gas is now pushing 2500-3000 psi, but common rail diesels were at 20k psi a while ago.

Wow! I had no idea diesel fuel rail pressure was that high.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jd7tY4KCbduN83CGObdchB6GXAY7UGTI3uJLvUzI83E1OtlOCHp9q0t8JGK4NgfD