1 2
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/29/19 9:03 p.m.

I hate to say it, but that car is worth more in pieces. It sucks. I would love to own one like it. But I am not of financial position. 

jmackk
jmackk New Reader
1/29/19 11:17 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I hate to say it, but that car is worth more in pieces. It sucks. I would love to own one like it. But I am not of financial position. 

Unfortunately, this. Depends on what you value your time at. 

Just went through the same with my '85 aw11. Could've easily parted it all out  or fixed and sold it running for at least challenge price, but instead decided to take the hit and sell everything for less than half of that to reduce some stress and hopefully see the car enjoyed sooner than later.

It all comes down to the urgency with which you want to move it and your feelings toward playing auto mechanic or playing parts salesman for a while. If you think you'll regret it or the renewed interest sticks, hold off and put in some time on it. If the passion's still gone, don't sweat it or what the community thinks. Your car and life, not anyone else's.

If you do take the hit, there is some comfort in the immediate stress relief. If you make sure it goes to a deserving home, that's always a good feeling as well. Maybe things didn't work out, but at least it'll make someone else really happy. Money comes and goes.

It is a beautiful car and nice array of parts. Wish I had the time, space, and expendable cash.

jrh2009
jrh2009 New Reader
1/30/19 1:58 a.m.

It's certainly a gorgeous car. I understand being burned out, but on the other hand, my (nowhere near this nice) AE86 is the only car I've ever regretted selling.

You should really get it running before deciding. It will either make it much easier to sell, or easier to keep.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/30/19 8:00 a.m.

What’s a price you’d be happy with? Maybe someone here would actually be interested. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
1/30/19 8:01 a.m.

I will trade you a project/autoX/rallyX/challenge car (318ti) and a reliable DD (Camry) for that.  The complete package!

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/19 12:35 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

As it is, any realistic price I can come up with is a bitter pill to swallow. If I replace the windshield, fix the misfire and intermittent fuel pump, wrap the harness (it is loomed, just not wrapped,) and finish the interior, I would think the $10k ballpark?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/31/19 4:50 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

Bottom line?  The faster you want it turned into money the smaller that pile of money is going to be.  Beware of a stale listing.  Your best buyer is likely the first buyer.  After 7 days on the market, review your responses.  How did the people who came to look at it respond? Did anyone make a reasonable offer?  If no one came and all you got were calls, there is a really good chance you are overpriced.  

Barn finds are usually cars the owner would like to sell but wanted too much for the market. 30 years later dusty and damaged it will finally find the asking price. Just not your asking price.  

Budget 10-15% for fixup/ clean up and marketing.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/31/19 6:15 a.m.
ae86andkp61 said:

In reply to dculberson :

As it is, any realistic price I can come up with is a bitter pill to swallow. If I replace the windshield, fix the misfire and intermittent fuel pump, wrap the harness (it is loomed, just not wrapped,) and finish the interior, I would think the $10k ballpark?

Swallow the bitter pill and get on with life. 

Earlier you said you want it gone. Now you say $10K. 

Non running projects don’t sell for $10K. Heck, Patrick just bought a 2 door ‘57 Chevy for Challenge money. 

Im not trying to be mean. I’m telling you the part you don’t want to hear. 

If you really want it gone, drop the price. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/31/19 7:00 a.m.

Straight shooting...

(my opinion)

As it sits, I think you will be stretching to get $5,000

Fix a few things and get it running well, $6,000-8,000

Fix the dents and add a paint job, $10,000- 12,000

Pristine showroom condition, or beautiful custom race car $15,000- 20,000

I just don’t think the market will be kinder to you than that.  Regardless of the cult following, it’s still a 30+ year old car that was built as an economy car.

And although it does have a cult following, they are young, and don’t have much money.  The bankers who lend to them are old and don’t want a 30 year old car for collateral on the loan.

My $0.02.  (With my apologies)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/31/19 7:13 a.m.

I generally can not disagree with SVreX

I had earlier recommended a ebay listing with a high reserve.  This ebay auction was to be less about meeting the reserve and more about seeing how high it might go.  From there, entering into continued conversation with the highest bidders.  This seems like a way to "test the waters" and see where it might go.  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/31/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Sure you can!  Everyone can disagree with SVreX!! cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/31/19 8:02 a.m.
SVreX said:

Straight shooting...

(my opinion)

As it sits, I think you will be stretching to get $5,000

Fix a few things and get it running well, $6,000-8,000

Fix the dents and add a paint job, $10,000- 12,000

Pristine showroom condition, or beautiful custom race car $15,000- 20,000

I just don’t think the market will be kinder to you than that.  Regardless of the cult following, it’s still a 30+ year old car that was built as an economy car.

And although it does have a cult following, they are young, and don’t have much money.  The bankers who lend to them are old and don’t want a 30 year old car for collateral on the loan.

My $0.02.  (With my apologies)

I think this is even a bit optimistic. Just because there is going to be a very small pool of buyers after the car. A nice paint job is going to cost you more than $4k of value you won't get out of it. 

Again, I say get the car running well, tuned and screaming like it should. You may change your mind and find the motivation to finish the project. 

As SVreX said as well, no bank is loaning on that car. If the kid doesn't have the cash, the probably also don't have the credit/income for a personal loan that large. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/31/19 8:49 a.m.

As everyone else has said, it has to run and run reliably for you to get any sort of money. In my mind, I'll pay scrap value to $1000 for a car with a blown up engine/transmission. A car that intermittently runs and has electrical issues, I won't even consider buying. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/19 8:59 a.m.
NickD said:

A car that intermittently runs and has electrical issues, I won't even consider buying. 

That's it in a nutshell. A good percentage of your market for this car isn't going to consider it.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
1/31/19 9:00 a.m.

My $0.02

1. 90s JDM is a magnet for teenagers and time wasters. While you want eyes, that attention is less than helpful. They always want to know if the can 'baby it home' in whatever shape its in, and get pissy when you shatter their illusions. 

2. I have to disagree with the post high reserve ebay advice. An overpriced project is a huge red flag, and stale listings are even worse. BAT seems a much better approach. 

3. Running, titled, and not gross are the minimum you need for a 2k+ sale. You have 2 of those. Getting it running, even so-so, is the biggest value add. Might even be worth the sale price to have someone get it goin for you. 

4. 86s are becoming more valuable, but might be nearing their peak. Initial D fans are not getting more common, and most kids I know have zero interest in driving, much less vintage imports that need attention. Your market is likely well off dudes in their late 30s who like anime more than cars. They want a finished product. Sports car guys realize its a rwd corolla. Fun, but not aspirational. We love em, but cant justify the cost over a miata, 240sx, or mustang. 

5. Its not going to look good on paper. You are going to miss it. But the psychological freedom of one less daunting project left undone is a huge reward. Decide you are done, and let it go. If money is not a problem, then focus on getting it to the person you trust to fix it up. While you could part it for more, it seems a shame. 

6. Go with YOUR gut. Ignore the 'good advice' of people, and consider how the car enhances or detracts from your life. You are the only one who can make the personal value judgement. 

7. Consider a consignment or 3rd party to sell it if you are too busy/attached to be rational and motivated yourself. The cut is well worth the mental anguish of re-deciding if youre actually selling it each time a buyer inquires. 

8. I got $1750. ;-)

Very cool car. Best of luck no matter your goal.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/19 10:17 a.m.

Where you at? It's all about location, location, location...

I've got a 2000 Honda VFR800 with a 929 front end and a 2Bros full exhaust AND a Kawasaki Ninja 250 setup for roadracing I'll trade you along with THREE bags of Haribo Gold Bears (leftover from last year's 25 Hour)!

That's really a cool car but you're probably better off selling it in boxes and pallets. IMHO, finished and running right (this is different than just "running") it's probably an 8k car. The way it is, the engine and trans are worth more out of the car than the entire car is worth together. YMMV and all that E36 M3...

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/31/19 11:53 a.m.

Another option might be to trade it for something of equal value (or greater value if you get lucky) then sell the new, easier to sell, vehicle off. I've done a lot of horse-trading of vehicles and i dont think i've ever not at least broken even on the trade. But again it's one of those things that it takes time to find the right deal.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2G4gozymj9Wh1zrWdAU7V1aBmgWISYanuPkXzNll5VgUsWHSSnrcDXDAMGN4QUuX