P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/25/08 2:36 p.m.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/887951

That's owned by the NHRA Top Fuel racer/team owner Connie Kalitta. :omg: No casualties though.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/25/08 5:48 p.m.

:omg:

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
5/25/08 6:56 p.m.

Not surprising considering things that I've heard about Kalitta's "fleet". (I'm an aircraft mechanic and aviation is a small world!)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/25/08 9:09 p.m.

I don't think it ever got up off the tarmac to have officially "gone down." Wow, that's freaky.

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/25/08 11:42 p.m.

How... did...it...BREAK??!!!

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
5/26/08 1:09 a.m.

Great, it's nice reading about 747's breaking in half after flying 6500 miles from San Fran to Kunshan China in one:omg:

Maybe we can fly airbus on the way back:whatthe:

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/08 1:34 a.m.

Well, freight planes lead a different life than passenger planes, so don't worry so much about it. More than likely it was just poor maintenance combined with some abuse. At least no one was hurt.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
5/26/08 10:28 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: Well, freight planes lead a different life than passenger planes, so don't worry so much about it.

'cept until it lands on your house :omg:

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
5/27/08 12:52 a.m.
1slowcrx wrote: Great, it's nice reading about 747's breaking in half after flying 6500 miles from San Fran to Kunshan China in one:omg: Maybe we can fly airbus on the way back:whatthe:

TAIL FLYS OFF!

Find a DC-10. They're invincible.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/08 8:04 a.m.

Apparently, Bondo can NOT do anything.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 8:50 a.m.

Worst flight I ever had was between NYC and London on a 747. Must have been a 747 dash nothing and the first one off the line. The AC was dripping condensate on the people behind me and shorting out the reading lights which blinked on and off by themselves. I swear the movie was Airport 76 or something. Just terrible.

BajaGringo
BajaGringo SuperDork
5/27/08 11:00 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Apparently, Bondo can NOT do anything.

Should have used JB Weld & duct tape!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/27/08 11:08 a.m.
triumph7 wrote: Not surprising considering things that I've heard about Kalitta's "fleet". (I'm an aircraft mechanic and aviation is a small world!)

I've heard the same thing. I know a guy that used to work on Kalitta's "fleet". He quit and left, didn't care for the work practices, long hours and the "blame game". Glad I turned down an offer to be an inspector at his repair site in MI years ago after I retired from the military and was teaching aircraft maintenance at a small trade school in TN. I'm also an aircraft mech or used to be. I do logistics for army aviation now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oAmXUsTb8a4koQVo1rYmUVAVt6w1t5UOvgSXUvjYEkcxHo9Fg87KTavDF6kwNSwN