Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/25/08 9:38 a.m.

This article initially ran back in 2008. We're featuring it today in our new series: From the Vault. Some information or prices could be different. 

Most of the articles which we have featured in GRM's "Race Craft" columns the last few years have been evolutionary in nature. Starting with the more basic driving skills, we progressed quickly to more and …

Read the rest of the story

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
6/10/09 11:23 p.m.

Nice article! Many of the techniques that you discussed are some that I am focusing more on becoming more proficient at. It always helps to have another perspective on the fundamentals!

miwifri
miwifri New Reader
11/30/09 3:24 p.m.

This is a great article. As a racer and new instructor (one season), I am always looking at how others interpret and describe the fundamentals. Having an intuitive understanding of what is happening in a car isn't always easy to put into words, especially at speed. Thanks, Tim.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/7/19 12:47 p.m.

Trying something new. Let me know what you guys think. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
6/7/19 2:24 p.m.

Lots of good tips, when I was at the FIRM back in late April and got to  ride the IPG parts Integra, I saw my biggest mistake, Mistake #7: Not Using the Entire Track.

I think I was trying to run everything tight lol like how I would at autocross in most situations

BigD
BigD Reader
6/12/19 4:46 p.m.

I'd add to #3 as the most common problem I see with upper intermediate drivers is braking too hard and too late, especially for faster corners. Everyone up to this level tends to think that this is what makes them Senna - brake as hard as the car can physically do it, as late as possible while still figuring out some way to get it turned in, and profit. In reality, they upset the living piss out of the car and end up taking the corner far slower than they need to, even though they feel like they're on the ragged edge of what's possible because what's possible is artificially limited by their braking. The King of the Late Brakers doesn't always win, at least in terms of lap time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XTpTvCK2YYzxS1dpppQBDiJArmGO2YoVBuRT7ctaCRODCNyG1p7ujxZE7CVRyvOz