1 2
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/10 9:56 p.m.

I think the older dual cam 2.5's are crap. I like the phase II single cam motors better. The valve's are much easier to adjust too.
Just my personal experience & opinion.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/13/10 9:03 a.m.

We bought the ex's 2000 Outback brand new. It currently has 180,000 miles on it. It has had the following; clutch and timing belt at around 100K, CV joints and brakes at 130K, new AC compressor at 150K. Other than that, just fluids and filters. Adding that up by memory, I think it's about $2500. Other than the AC going out, I have few complaints.

They are rather dull though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/13/10 11:13 a.m.

Lots of Subaru hate on here.

I'm on my third Suby now and haven't had ANY of the huge troubles listed in here.

1994 Outdoor wagon (before they decided outback would be the moniker) This car got me through high school and 3 years of college (175k miles) before the body got too rusty and it drove itself to the salvage yard. Total repairs were the clutch at 80k miles (hey I was a new driver) and a rear main seal ($300 IIRC). Averaged 27mpg with the 2.2 liter engine. Keep in mind I TRIED to kill this car the last 2 years I owned it and now every one of my college roommates owns a Subaru because of it.

1998 Outback w/Auto tranny Not fast but certainly wasn't a slug. Head gaskets went at 137k miles and we traded it in. Other than that everything that wasn't a wear item was still original. Averaged 28mpg on a mostly highway commute.

Current car: 2005 Legacy GT. Way faster than it needs to be, averages 26mpg (I can't bring myself to drive it economically), quiet and comfortable.

I wouldn't hesitate to continue buying Subarus.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q6fr2UVdATd4DGFmLIl0GJaMhMmkBQIy5n3ZSynXzuhUu4hFxaLGymIpSlTVwGC1