pirate
pirate New Reader
1/7/11 1:52 p.m.

At the 2009 Mitty there were some Mini's there in the Car Corral that if I remember correctly were powered by Honda engines. I think there was a company that made installtion kits. anyone remember who that was or if they are still in business?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/11 2:09 p.m.

http://www.superfastminis.com/contact_information.htm

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/7/11 2:27 p.m.

Here's another version. Suzuki-powered. Not sure if it's better/easier/etc.

Seen at the VRG NJ Vintage Festival at New Jersey Motorsports Park last Fall.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/11 2:44 p.m.

Moss Motors sells a VTEC subframe for them. There are a few companies that do it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
1/7/11 2:46 p.m.

Yeah, I like the G13b suzuki engine, but it doesn't have the development that the honda engines have... they can fit D and B series under a stock hood. K under an extended hood.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/7/11 3:05 p.m.

Be careful what you choose. Some kits require cutting the intake, which isn't a great idea. Personally, my favorite kit is are from these guys. http://www.zcars.org.uk/ One of the big problems with the front drive kits is that they use the same subframe pick up as the original mini. Doesn't really make for a stable platform. You are far better off building your own setup, that could be integrated with a roll cage for a more sturdy platform.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/11 3:10 p.m.

There are also fitment variations between RHD and LHD cars, so keep that in mind if you're reading UK websites. For example, I think you need to stretch the nose about 3" to do a VTEC install on a RHD Mini, but the LHD install retains stock bodywork.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/7/11 3:19 p.m.

Put it all in the back seat!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/7/11 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

Some of it is the orientation of the engine itself. Some rock the engine forward or backward to clearance everything. One company has you cut off the intake runners and put on 45° adapters. BTW I happen to have a 61 morris mini shell, b16 motor and lsd transmission for sale if anyone wants it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/7/11 4:10 p.m.
sachilles wrote: BTW I happen to have a 61 morris mini shell, b16 motor and lsd transmission for sale if anyone wants it.

for challenge monies?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/7/11 4:17 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
sachilles wrote: BTW I happen to have a 61 morris mini shell, b16 motor and lsd transmission for sale if anyone wants it.
for challenge monies?

Nearly. Not quite double. $2k for the shell $1500 for the motor and trans combo http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/61-morris-mini-shell-plus/27694/page1/ At this point I'd do everything and a beat up trailer to carry it all for $3k.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/7/11 4:21 p.m.

Ooog, I don't really want the motor or the trans, and it's too far away... but that is a screamer.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/7/11 4:30 p.m.

Sure could be. I had intended to do a tube frame. I may still do it. Just have very little time, and the thought of working out the small bugs, rather than driving in my limited free time sort of discourages me.

I could be convinced to trade for a subaru that I haven't rolled yet.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/7/11 4:46 p.m.

Fresh out of not rolled subarus. Damn

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rdVW3Vmj7xZK43DWAJl5GYQSjn8SWe6OT8rnzDAjda4aI7U6qmdQ98kGRFWML0pK