David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/22/19 3:11 p.m.
feature_image

The big stories at the New York International Auto Show? Today’s usual–meaning electrification and alternative power sources. But not everything was about efficiency, as we found some excitement in the mix.

Here are some of our favorites:

BRE Stripes Are Back: The Nissan 370Z will return for 2020–pretty much unchanged since its release for the 2009 model year–with the big …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
4/22/19 8:30 p.m.

So, we're just gonna pretend that there isn't a GT-R LM on display there behind number 73? Fairly certain that's what I'm seeing there anyway, doesn't quite look like the 400M which from memory, was red. I could be mistaken on this particular example, but it is definitely not your every day R33, that's for sure!

BluEvo210
BluEvo210 New Reader
4/22/19 9:09 p.m.

So, we're supposed to be impressed that Kia can make a transmission that holds gears without upshifting?

If you're much of an enthusiast, you were going to buy a manual transmission in the first place, and then there's no question of unwanted upshifts.

BluEvo210
BluEvo210 New Reader
4/22/19 9:15 p.m.
te72 said:

So, we're just gonna pretend that there isn't a GT-R LM on display there behind number 73? Fairly certain that's what I'm seeing there anyway, doesn't quite look like the 400M which from memory, was red. I could be mistaken on this particular example, but it is definitely not your every day R33, that's for sure!

You mean the Nismo 400R?  They came in more colors than red, but I know what you're talking about. 

I think you're right in the first place, and that's a Skyline GT-R LM in the background.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/19 9:17 p.m.

I really really want to like the Rivian, but that glow line around the hood is hard to take. 

Any more details on the display model?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/23/19 7:04 a.m.
BluEvo210 said:

So, we're supposed to be impressed that Kia can make a transmission that holds gears without upshifting?

If you're much of an enthusiast, you were going to buy a manual transmission in the first place, and then there's no question of unwanted upshifts.

Shhhhhhhhhh, let people enjoy things. wink

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/19 8:30 a.m.
z31maniac said:
BluEvo210 said:

Not to mention that most new cars don't offer a manual trans anymore. But hey, hate away. 

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 9:47 a.m.
RevRico said:

I really really want to like the Rivian, but that glow line around the hood is hard to take. 

Any more details on the display model?

Here's the bare chassis:

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 9:59 a.m.
bobzilla said:
z31maniac said:
BluEvo210 said:

Not to mention that most new cars don't offer a manual trans anymore. But hey, hate away. 

Yeah, I can't put the genie back inside the bottle. Know what would get more manual transmissions on the lot? More buyers. 

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 10:03 a.m.

Oh yeah, if possible, do one of the available tours. I got to tag along with Thursday evening's tour. It was a great chance to walk the show without the crowds and with an expert. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/23/19 10:52 a.m.

I’d love to get on the list for a new Speedster,  but I imagine the list at my local dealer is already long.  Checking....

edit: scratch that,  I just saw the MSRP!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/23/19 11:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
bobzilla said:
z31maniac said:
BluEvo210 said:

Yeah, I can't put the genie back inside the bottle. Know what would get more manual transmissions on the lot? More buyers. 

Ding ding ding.

But we all know that it's a conspiracy against enthusiasts that no manufacturer makes an AWD, 6spd wagon, that gets 40mpg, has 400hp, and is only $14,999 MSRP.

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 12:32 p.m.

See also: Subaru Legacy GT wagon with a six-speed manual.

Everyone said that they'd buy one. The reviews were amazing. Actual number of units sold? Like six. Maybe seven. 

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 12:35 p.m.
Cotton said:

I’d love to get on the list for a new Speedster,  but I imagine the list at my local dealer is already long.  Checking....

Oh yeah, not a cheap date. In addition to the GT3 engine (with individual throttle bodies), the Speedster gets a lot of bespoke hardware, including the carbon front fenders and hood. The body in white is unique to that model, too. On the plus side, the car's value will only go up, up, up. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 12:37 p.m.

I wish I’d known about those tours sooner.  I’m going to book one next year.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/23/19 12:42 p.m.

I'm going tomorrow. I've been going almost every year since 2003.  I never go expecting to get excited about anything, but occasionally I am surprised.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
4/23/19 1:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Cotton said:

Oh yeah, not a cheap date. In addition to the GT3 engine (with individual throttle bodies), the Speedster gets a lot of bespoke hardware, including the carbon front fenders and hood. The body in white is unique to that model, too. On the plus side, the car's value will only go up, up, up. 

I ended up checking with the local dealer anyway.  He said the list is already 7 deep,  they MAY get one allocation, MSRP is ~275k and they expect it to bring 100k over sticker.  Damn.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
4/23/19 1:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
bobzilla said:
z31maniac said:
BluEvo210 said:

I blame the rest of you. My last three daily drivers have been purchased brand-new, with manual transmission. I'm doing my part ;)

David S. Wallens
4/23/19 1:59 p.m.

Gold star for Irish.

While at the show, I was talking to the PR person for a company that offers a sporty car that's big in our world. They had just released a special edition model and were looking at the sales figures: 85 percent automatic, 15 percent manual.

What the what?!

Reporting error. In reality, the take rate was 85 percent manual. 

Whew.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/23/19 2:13 p.m.
irish44j said:
David S. Wallens said:
bobzilla said:
z31maniac said:
BluEvo210 said:

I blame the rest of you. My last three daily drivers have been purchased brand-new, with manual transmission. I'm doing my part ;)

Not my last three DD's, but the last 3 cars I've purchased new, have all been manual.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/23/19 4:15 p.m.

I've only bought one car new, but it is a manual. And I still have it. That was also 16 years ago. frown

My ex- is better.  Of the 4 cars she bought new over the past 20+ years, all have been manuals.  Right now, all 5 of her cars are manuals.  I also have 5 manual cars, but also 3 automatics (including one parts car).

te72
te72 Reader
4/23/19 11:01 p.m.
BluEvo210 said:
te72 said:

You mean the Nismo 400R?  They came in more colors than red, but I know what you're talking about. 

I think you're right in the first place, and that's a Skyline GT-R LM in the background.

Durr, yes, 400R, my mistake. These hours at work are affecting my memory, evidently. Fairly certain it's the LM on display there though, straight out of many an hour spent playing the Gran Turismo series for me. Blue lipped wheels, blew my mind as a kid, to consider that was even a possibility. Plus, that thing was menacingly wide, wouldn't surprise me a bit if those rear fenders were related to the JGTC cars.

te72
te72 Reader
4/23/19 11:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Gold star for Irish.

While at the show, I was talking to the PR person for a company that offers a sporty car that's big in our world. They had just released a special edition model and were looking at the sales figures: 85 percent automatic, 15 percent manual.

What the what?!

Reporting error. In reality, the take rate was 85 percent manual. 

Whew.

I really hope that gets corrected in the PR world or that car is doomed the next cycle...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmj14dpXB8KwtXwpu8oyGn9LHtCNchgD81PruX4QlIlsxoej3SKHzMFGL0w66Gyn