1 2
seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/7/09 8:32 a.m.

Andrew Nelson - the guy who told me I can't create a fan-club for him - set FIVE speed records in Loring, Maine last weekend.

The classes he rules over are:

C/CGALT (C/Classic Gas Altered) - 146.46. Andy gets a record on his licensing run! Where is his cape?! C/CGC (C/Classic Gas Coupe) - 173.661. C/CBGC (C/Classic Blown Gas Coupe) - 176.094. B/CGC (B/Classic Gas Coupe) - 179.644. B/CBGC (B/Classic Blown Gas Coupe - 177.507.

The first letters in the class are for engine size. The rest is self explanitory.

He also has something like six records at Maxton. Not too bad considering the car wasn't even together last year at this time and this is his first year in land speed racing!

All that and he will be on a local NBC news channel (WGAL) due to his successes. A reporter was looking through Hot Rod Magazine one day and saw the pic and caption of Andy's Stude - realizing a local is involved and newsworthy - they contacted him!

Let's help the Nelson clan celebrate their hard work and success. Keep using your talent and blessing - you are an inspiration to us all!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 8:34 a.m.

That's awesome!

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 8:46 a.m.

Some people just "GET" fast.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/7/09 8:47 a.m.

Congrats to the awesome Nelson clan! You guys rock!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/7/09 8:52 a.m.

Way to go, Nelson clan!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
8/7/09 8:58 a.m.

I humbly submit to your majesty...seriously can't wait to see what they bring to the challenge this year

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/7/09 11:27 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I humbly submit to your majesty...seriously can't wait to see what they bring to the challenge this year

Be there. I PROMISE it will be WELL worth it!! (maybe I know something)

I love cheering for this guy and his family. AAA++ quality folks!

Congrats, Nelsons! I'm thrilled!

PaulY
PaulY Reader
8/7/09 11:34 a.m.

Congrats! What issue of hot rod was he in?

splitime
splitime Reader
8/7/09 11:35 a.m.

Can we just make another new challenge class for Andy and Clan? That way they can win their class and the rest of us don't have them to fear? :p

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/7/09 3:26 p.m.

In reply to PaulY:

I'm pretty sure it was the June issue. Or maybe the July. It was the issue that had coverage of Hot Rod's Top Speed Challenge.

There was a smal pic of Andy's car at speed with a long caption that said a whole lot of wrong things. The rear gear is actually A-WHOLE-LOT taller than stated - like 2:23 - not 3:23. Also, Andy is NOT a Civil Engineer - he is a Mechanical Engineer. Mechanical Engineers design the cars we drive - Civil Engineers design the roads we abuse them on. Andy explains it with bombs and stuff - my explanation has more LOVE in it!

No offence intended to all the Civil Engineers out there. I Love my roads!

JmfnB
8/7/09 3:49 p.m.

I thought Andy DOES build bridgelets and stuff. He is pretty civil.

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/7/09 3:54 p.m.

This is THE car - Bitchin' in its purest sense! I stole the pick from Cameron's website (do a search for "Stude777") Hope that's OK, Cameron?

The Nelson's will appear on the morning and the evening segments of WGAL local news in the Susquehanna valley on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get the clip for all to see - I'll post a link if I am successful.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/7/09 3:57 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1567/

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
8/7/09 3:59 p.m.
seeker589 wrote: [car picture]

Sex.

JmfnB
8/7/09 4:11 p.m.
seeker589 wrote: This is THE car - Bitchin' in its purest sense! I stole the pick from Cameron's website (do a search for "Stude777") Hope that's OK, Cameron? The Nelson's will appear on the morning and the evening segments of WGAL local news in the Susquehanna valley on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get the clip for all to see - I'll post a link if I am successful.

Andy was blushing on the phone a minute ago.

Tims gonna get it ;)

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/7/09 5:45 p.m.

Andy - don't hurt me! I LOVE YOU!!!

Andy is going to have to do one of two things - Either he is going to have to stop being so successful so people will leave him alone (not likely - he really likes the whole go-fast thing) - or he is going to have to get used to the accolades the Nelson family has rightfully EARNED. Talent is a blessing - humility is a character trait - The Nelsons have both and realize their origins.

Bless you all!

I consider Andy and his family to be the Duffy Livingston and the Max and Ina Balchowski of our time. His impact on Grassroots Motorsports in general is a low rumble now that WILL grow into a loud roar!

He does all of this with very little money - imagine what will happen when he gets some more!

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
8/7/09 6:42 p.m.

Hero, indeed!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/7/09 10:30 p.m.
seeker589 wrote: The Nelson's will appear on the morning and the evening segments of WGAL local news in the Susquehanna valley on Tuesday. I'm hoping to get the clip for all to see - I'll post a link if I am successful.

I'm setting the Tivo. Andrew, do you get WGAL at your place? If not I'll burn it to DVD for you if the station didn't supply a copy.

-Rob

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/8/09 12:01 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

Can you post the vid on YouTube and a link on this message board. I'm a bit techno-challenged for such a task.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
8/8/09 6:36 a.m.
Andy was blushing on the phone a minute ago.

RRrrrrrrr..thanks for the call John....that was not blushing......I hate threads like this.

Come on guys.....I'm no hero. I am a guy who loves the Lord Jesus. I am a guy who loves his family. I am a guy who has the privilege to have been born in this great country and the privilege to participate in racing. I have the privilege to be married to my wife and to be the father of my sons. The Lord has blessed me, but I am not a hero. I never ran into a burning building. I never went to a foreign country to defend our freedoms. Those guys are heroes. I wouldn't make a hair on Max's head. Sure we worked until 10-ish last night taping up the Challenge car. And went out at 6 this morning to work on some ladder bars. But, I also spent time watching a toad jump around the barn floor and waived to the folks floating over in a hot air balloon. I don't mind when folks share what's going on with the racing, as a matter of fact a number of Challenge teammates and competitors helped on the Stude. I am indebted to them. Ultimately, that's a privilege, not heroism.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/8/09 7:06 a.m.
seeker589 wrote: In reply to Rob_Mopar: Can you post the vid on YouTube and a link on this message board. I'm a bit techno-challenged for such a task.

I haven't posted anything on YouTube yet, but I think I can figure something out.

-Rob

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
8/8/09 10:45 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Andy - please don't sell yourself or the blessings of your family short. Shareing all of them with all of us is a blessing to all of US.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
8/8/09 11:31 a.m.

You built a land speed Studebaker. You're some sort of hero.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
8/8/09 2:58 p.m.

andy congrats to your family this stuff and keep up the good work.....

andy, no matter what your think you guys are heros to some of us that dont have half your skill and or driveing talent or some really damn good luck.

but i think for most of everyone here i just want to say thank you to you and your family for keeping us entertained if nothing else. much better the any realitry tv crap anyway.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
8/10/09 7:09 a.m.

Pretty sweet, man- and I'm super proud of you and your family! Well done.

BTW, how's your altitude tuning capabilty? Got 4 years for the 5000 ft at the salt- well, real altitude- the density altitude changes up to at leat 8500 ft.

I think I should plan on going out that year.

Eric

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ppS530LW8yu7oX3j0Sjntgnv0J5QjPmRYmL8ZwE6zGeNlowpHsgpr3cCTe7V9etn