1 2 3 4
Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/9/12 10:36 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Yup, there will be time to take it for a spin.

Running it at the testing day would be great, but they are robbing us for $350 for the test day per Car. Ouch.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/9/12 10:50 a.m.
FlightService wrote: If you want a True GT that is a great question. C6, or a Z06 C5 (I like the flip up headlights on the C5)

Does a Corvette qualify as a grand touring car though? I always thought they were sports cars or super cars depending on the submodel. Certainly I think a Z06 would not be a grand touring car. I thought grand touring cars were more powerful, long distance comfortable cruisers and not corner carver track capable power monsters like a Z06. The Z06 is too stiff and too focused to be a GT car.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
4/9/12 11:00 a.m.

I would put the C5 and C6 in the GT category, for as stiff as the C5 Z06 was it was actually very comfortable, tons of power, and a very good long distance cruiser. On top of all that is got very good highway mileage (around the speed limit) I have had many a C5 Z06 owner tell me of 28-31 mpg on trips with the cruise set at 70-80.

The vette is touted as a sports cars but IMHO I would only reserve that for the top models. I feel a base is an excellent GT car. The Z06 is just awesome period, GM really did set the Vette apart with that model.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
4/9/12 9:50 p.m.
Does a Corvette qualify as a grand touring car though?

Honestly, i dont think so. c5 and c6 can make a passable effort, but certainly not a great one, and anything before c5 is a joke in GT terms.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
4/9/12 9:53 p.m.

My vote, even though it's an automatic, would've been a Lexus SC430.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
4/10/12 8:51 a.m.
FlightService wrote: I would put the C5 and C6 in the GT category, for as stiff as the C5 Z06 was it was actually very comfortable, tons of power, and a very good long distance cruiser. On top of all that is got very good highway mileage (around the speed limit) I have had many a C5 Z06 owner tell me of 28-31 mpg on trips with the cruise set at 70-80. The vette is touted as a sports cars but IMHO I would only reserve that for the top models. I feel a base is an excellent GT car. The Z06 is just awesome period, GM really did set the Vette apart with that model.

I'm not saying the Z06 is uncomfortable or anything, it's just that if it qualifies as a "grand touring car," then in my book it's not a sports car. They're two different things. If you're aiming for "sports car" and hit "grand tourer," then you missed your mark. A Porsche 928 is a grand tourer. A Corvette is a sports car.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fncIIvuwPbLPIsCt3bBTjuWkKCqmRXCCkUGwB8jU2WRZYYeTIzy1Dxzv79yM7zZw